Iowa @ ISU an Even Matchup?

Heck, give him a pass on 4! 9-5 isn't impressive against a team of that level. Should be about 12-2 in that stretch. How many of those games was ISU favored?
Agree. 9-5 isn't impressive but it's more palatable.

Rivalry game...

He is the next in line of "great" ISU Qbs. Since Seneca, we have heard about how Austin Flynn was going to be better than Drew Tate. Bret Meyer was the next big thing. Then it was Austen Arnaud is better than Stanzi. Then he lost his job to the next great QB, Tiller. then Steele Jantz was a heisman hopeful. He lost his job to Barnett. Who then lost his job to Sam Richardson. He never did anything, but then Lanning was just "too good" to keep off the field. Now we have Park, who is "almost as good as Mayfield and Rudolph."

I think they have a tendency to over-react. In 2 years, we will be laughing at the Stanley vs. Park debate.
Agree with you 100% that ISU leads the nation in overreacting.
I refer you to the oh-so highly valued 2007 Gene Chizik collectors coin!
Well played ISU, well played indeed.

Should never be a rivalry game. When you are much better than someone, you win, and it's not a rivalry.
I would tend to agree. But the definition of "rivalry" makes it a rivalry. Both are competing for bragging rights of the State of Iowa. Doesn't matter how much worse or how much better one team is.

All we have to do is look at the Rivalry Forum. Guess which school Iowa fans talk about the most. It's not Wisconsin. It's not Minnesota. It's not even Nebraska.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tend to agree. But the definition of "rivalry" makes it a rivalry. Both are competing for bragging rights of the State of Iowa. Doesn't matter how much worse or much better one team is.

All we have to do is look at the Rivalry Forum. Guess which school Iowa fans talk about the most. It's not Wisconsin's. It's not Minnesota. It's not even Nebraska.

When Hayden took over it was an actual rivalry because of the contemporary situation. But he changed that because he new the importance of establishing dominance. Which he did with several programs. HF wanted to punch people who made excuses for losing to weaker programs. Excuse-makers are not real Hawkeyes.

Last edited:
Agree. 9-5 isn't impressive but it's more palatable.

Rivalry game...

So ISU is suddenly a better team one game a year because they're playing Iowa? Two possibilities

1. That's a lame excuse
2. There's something to it, in which case IOWA's coach should know enough to prepare accordingly instead of treating it like just any other game. (punch the clock mentality)

We get it. You're okay with losing to weaker programs because love is blind. When you love a man, you can't be honest with yourself about him. It explains why so many women stay in marriages where they are mistreated.
Obviously you don't get it since I did say I tend to agree and I didn't say I'm okay with losing to weaker programs.

"Rivalry" means something.

An example you should understand: even though you lose constantly in arguments with Deanvogs you still have a rivalry going on.

So ISU is suddenly a better team one game a year because they're playing Iowa? Two possibilities

1. That's a lame excuse
2. There's something to it, in which case IOWA's coach should know enough to prepare accordingly instead of treating it like just any other game. (punch the clock mentality)
I guess the word "agree" doesn't mean anything like "rivalry" doesn't mean anything.

But I would lean toward (2)

I would tend to agree. But the definition of "rivalry" makes it a rivalry. Both are competing for bragging rights of the State of Iowa. Doesn't matter how much worse or how much better one team is.

All we have to do is look at the Rivalry Forum. Guess which school Iowa fans talk about the most. It's not Wisconsin. It's not Minnesota. It's not even Nebraska.
Oh don't misunderstand me, it is definitely a rivalry. It just shouldn't be a rivalry. Just like Iowa-UNI isn't a rivalry in football(please ignore blocked FG's). And don't tell me it's because UNI is 1AA. ISU is not beating up on them. ISU-UNI should be the instate rivalry game. But it's not and it's because Iowa let it happen by not squashing them and the series might go away. I know it probably wouldn't go away even with my fictitious scenario. That's for another forum.

If Iowa wins this year then it's 7 of the last 10. That's about what I'd expect to see going forward...Iowa dominating the "rivalry" but occasionally screwing up.

Iowa states last 4 wins have been by 3 points or less. Iowa is clearly the better team but their style of football sometimes costs them. It's something we've seen constantly in the KF era, not just vs ISU

I'm always nervous about this one. I think we should win, but it's rarely easy.
I am too, along with all the border games. No matter what their record leading up to the game there's a little extra motivation to beat Iowa simply because of having history together. If Brian truly has the keys to the offense and the defense can replace people like DK there's not a team on the schedule we can't hang with. Even allowing for Kirk overriding everything and having a few sh*t the bed moments 9-3 regular season is not out of the question.

Reactions: DJL
When Hayden took over it was an actual rivalry because of the contemporary situation. But he changed that because he new the importance of establishing dominance. Which he did with several programs. HF wanted to punch people who made excuses for losing to weaker programs. Excuse-makers are not real Hawkeyes.
I like this. And I agree with most of this edit which might be bad thing to be agreeable on HN.

The only thing I would disagree with is that HF wanted to punch weaker teams in the mouth after he changed the program's culture.

But when HF took over, Iowa was the weaker program.

To be successful without a good defensive line or offensive line, the skill players better be REAL good.

Iowa shows up, runs the ball right at them. Forcing them into a run stop defense. LB's and DBs move up to cover up for the D'line and that opens up the play action pass and vertical pass. Pressure on the QB. Contain the edge. Keep their offense on the bench. W for Iowa.

I think Iowa wins the game but on the other hand with the returning QB and skill players ISU has they could be well ahead of where Iowa is offensively. And while no ISU doesn't have the run blocking line Iowa does, going into the season I put them ahead pass blocking wise, for as good of a run blocking line Iowa was last year their pass blocking was below average IMO(I'm my mind this is the key to whether Iowa wins 6 or 7 games or somewhere between 8-10). The thing that impressed me about Campbell was that ISU offensive line against Iowa looked absolutely horrid and by conference season he had them playing proficiently(even without Campos) and that really was a huge accomplishment.

I think the primary key to the game comes down to does the Iowa offensive line dominate the ISU defensive line. Iowa did last year and ISU lost some players. They did pick up 3 JUCO players that had offers from a lot of P5 schools and two of them were true DT's although one is not supposed to get to school because finishing things up until Wed. so he will be behind and I doubt can be counted on. Pass blocking from the Iowa line was their weak link last year but I'm not sure this new ISU line can take advantage of that, although ISU does have a good secondary so they will probably bring blitz pressure.

The second key point to the game will be can ISU exploit the Iowa secondary. This will probably only come into play if the ISU defensive line can hold their own or be respectable against the Iowa offensive line, which I'm not sure they can do. Jackson and Rugamba got some time last year and will be solid at some point this season but this early and a pretty good ISU receiving core and I do think the pass blocking from the ISU line will be solid, and ISU may get more yards on the ground than people think because they have a couple of good backs and the OL line run blocking should be a lot better this year also.

I think Iowa wins by 7-10 points or worse if the ISU defensive line is really weak in the early season(they really need more time for the JUCO defensive lineman to acclimate). But if ISU finds a way to not let Iowa dominate with the running game the upset could happen.

JUCO"s are a temp fix when there isn't anything in the system. I wouldn't expect JUCO's to be a big problem for Iowa's offensive line, which was very good last year, and now they have another year of maturity...... Throw in some Butler and Wadley. Play action passes, vertical routes. Cyclone offense on the sideline watching Iowa beat on their defense play after play.

ISU returns one offensive lineman from a team that wasn't very good last year. They are going to face pretty decent defensive line. Iowa's DB's may be young but they are talented. And Iowa's LBs are all very good and experienced

JUCO"s are a temp fix when there isn't anything in the system. I wouldn't expect JUCO's to be a big problem for Iowa's offensive line, which was very good last year, and now they have another year of maturity...... Throw in some Butler and Wadley. Play action passes, vertical routes. Cyclone offense on the sideline watching Iowa beat on their defense play after play.

ISU returns one offensive lineman from a team that wasn't very good last year. They are going to face pretty decent defensive line. Iowa's DB's may be young but they are talented. And Iowa's LBs are all very good and experienced

I think your understating the offensive line experience quite a bit. I know Good-Jones started last season, and I thought Bryce Meeker did also after all the injuries. Of course Campos has a lot of starting experience in the past. The unit improved greatly after the Iowa game, although I would temper that some based on the weak year the Big 12 had.

Its about can Iowa gash ISU for 5-6 yards a carry regularly, if Iowa doesn't it will be a game.

Latest posts