"Iowa is Cook and roster of mid major players"

Isn’t he like the fans yelling “over-rated” to the ranked team their team is beating?

Big Ten TV deal > Seats

Anyone who things JBo is mid major is not reasonable.

Aside from that, not a lot of argument.

Izzo looks like hell.

I disagree, JBo reminds me a lot of Gatens, great when he is up against a nobody, but if he has someone with D1 quickness on him, he is done. Garza and Cook are the only two that could start for other B1G teams.

I disagree, JBo reminds me a lot of Gatens, great when he is up against a nobody, but if he has someone with D1 quickness on him, he is done. Garza and Cook are the only two that could start for other B1G teams.

So Mason isn't quick? He scored 17 against MSU. I've never seen any correlation between Bohannon having good games against bad teams and bad games against good teams.

At this point Uthoff > Nunge and not close. They are not remotely similar players. When Nunge is vastly improved he will never look like Uthoff. First of all one didn't know what passing was and the other does...too much.

I wasn't comparing their skill set. I was saying sometimes they look smooth and sometimes they look awkward. But sophomore Uthoff wasn't that good at all.

When the game was approaching crunch time...MSU clamped down their defense and JB was rendered, well, the way players are when athletic players want to stop them...

Iowa doesn't have this defensive clamp down mode to call upon...nor do they have players who can penetrate the defense or create their own clean shots...very often....under duress and/or in crunch time.

I do like JB...competitor...

Bohannon’s caveat is that to get the most out of him he needs someone drawing defenders and creating open looks. He doesn’t deal well with people in his face; if you’ve watched any games at all it’s blatantly obvious. When he has success, he’s able to play away from pressure. When opposing guards come out to meet him, he doesn’t handle it well and you can see the frustration come out in dicey passes and unnecessary deep threes way beyond the line. It’s like he anticipates getting mobbed and he launches it before they get the chance. It either works and he looks like Steph Curry or he bombs. There’s no in between.

I wasn't comparing their skill set. I was saying sometimes they look smooth and sometimes they look awkward. But sophomore Uthoff wasn't that good at all.
Yes he only had 2 good years. And remember he was older having sat out 2 yrs pretty much.
For those expecting Nunge at 18/19 to be what Uthoff ended up being at 22 is just asking a lot.

The guy's a true freshman for cripes sakes.

You didn't really answer my question.
Your answer above would be perfect for the question: "Man, guys, how come Nunge hasn't shown us anything yet?"

But I didn't ask that.
I simply asked what anyone has seen from Nunge so far this year.

You didn't really answer my question.
Your answer above would be perfect for the question: "Man, guys, how come Nunge hasn't shown us anything yet?"

But I didn't ask that.
I simply asked what anyone has seen from Nunge so far this year.

He hasn't shown much - I think you just see the potential by the way he handles the rock and his size and skill set. He has not played well as a whole.

At this point Uthoff > Nunge and not close. They are not remotely similar players. When Nunge is vastly improved he will never look like Uthoff. First of all one didn't know what passing was and the other does...too much.

Its not really fair to make that claim at this point because Uthoff didnt even play competitive basketball for his first 2 years of college. Meanwhile Nunge has been tossed into the fire right out of high school. Uthoff's first year playing at Iowa he wasn't all that great either (8 points, 5 rebounds per game)....and he was already in his 3rd year of college basketball.

Its not really fair to make that claim at this point because Uthoff didnt even play competitive basketball for his first 2 years of college. Meanwhile Nunge has been tossed into the fire right out of high school. Uthoff's first year playing at Iowa he wasn't all that great either (8 points, 5 rebounds per game)....and he was already in his 3rd year of college basketball.

It still is what it is. On that subject, Uthoff had an advantage of having been coached by a really good coach as well.

It still is what it is. On that subject, Uthoff had an advantage of having been coached by a really good coach as well.

Well Uthoff was a player who benefited from his age and his development. Through hard work he developed into a stud his 5th year of college. A lot of players are just like that...they need time to devlop. No sense writing off Nunge now when he's 18 years old. Who knows what he'll be like when he's a Junior or Senior.

Nunge, to me, has looked like a talented kid with some glaring youth problems that are fixable. He makes dumb plays, bad passes, etc. But he's tall, long, he's got a great looking shot, and he's had some athletic looking dunks and blocked shots. He just needs time.

Uthoff had his highest FG, 3FG, and FT percents, plus his highest ORtg his sophomore season, although he only played 18 MPG compared to 30 the last two years. If I remember he got off to a really great start his sophomore year, and then kind of wore down later in the year after the two seasons off. Of course he wore down the last third of his senior year too, once Maryland shut him down he never quite got going again.

Uthoff had his highest FG, 3FG, and FT percents, plus his highest ORtg his sophomore season, although he only played 18 MPG compared to 30 the last two years. If I remember he got off to a really great start his sophomore year, and then kind of wore down later in the year after the two seasons off. Of course he wore down the last third of his senior year too, once Maryland shut him down he never quite got going again.

Ugh that Maryland game....what could have been....

Also Uthoff disappearing in the second half vs Iowa State after putting up 30 in the first half.... :(

When the game was approaching crunch time...MSU clamped down their defense and JB was rendered, well, the way players are when athletic players want to stop them...

Iowa doesn't have this defensive clamp down mode to call upon...nor do they have players who can penetrate the defense or create their own clean shots...very often....under duress and/or in crunch time.

I do like JB...competitor...

Yeah. Agreed on JB0 that he was guarded by athletic players...two of them most of the game and certainly down the stretch.

What in the world have you seen from Nunge?
He is a good shooter, and has athleticism for a bigger guy. He has talent, but needs to develop. I think confidence is his biggest issue. He makes a mistake, and Fran just yanks him. A competent coaching staff could turn his skill set into a solid BIG player.

Bohannon’s caveat is that to get the most out of him he needs someone drawing defenders and creating open looks. He doesn’t deal well with people in his face; if you’ve watched any games at all it’s blatantly obvious. When he has success, he’s able to play away from pressure. When opposing guards come out to meet him, he doesn’t handle it well and you can see the frustration come out in dicey passes and unnecessary deep threes way beyond the line. It’s like he anticipates getting mobbed and he launches it before they get the chance. It either works and he looks like Steph Curry or he bombs. There’s no in between.

This might litteraly describe every shooter in history.

Latest posts