Iowa Hoops: Are they matching up to your expectations

Below.

We should not have this record with the schedule we have played. Watching every other team in the Big Ten actually gain 'talent' via recruiting - while we pretty much tread water - is not much fun.

'Normal' Iowa teams would have at least 7 wins at this point.

But, I will digress and realize that normalcy and Iowa basketball has a bit lower standard than it did when I was younger.

Then again, that standard took a hit when I was really young and Iowa lost an 18 pt halftime lead against UNLV.

I am interested again. Will actually pay attention to when they play. Love to see a coach with a pulse and he seems to be very active on the sidelines. Unlike the last one, sit on the bench with head in hands. Loved how Fran was in the refs ear from time to time. I firmly believe this can influence calls later in the game. If they can play with intensity, make some 3's, they will surprise some teams in the Big 10.

I had them being 7-4 after the Drake game...I felt they'd win two of three of the instate games, and win the season opener. So they will have to sweep the instate games to match that.

That said, its been more fun to watch for me. Last nights game was tough on the eyes, but that was par for the course last year.
I saw 8-3 after the in-state battles. Didn't expect them to lose to SDSU and thought they'd go 2-1 in Paradise.

That said, they are actually exceeding my expectations on the eye-test level. I've been thoroughly impressed with how much they have improved from game to game. I've been thoroughly impressed with the preparations the coaching staff goes through before each game. I've been thoroughly impressed with the in-game adjustments by the coaching staff, as well.

The guys are having fun, they are fun watch. There's passion around the program again.

The record isn't there, but the team is playing better than I expected. Next step is to learn how to win games, they showed they could do that against UNI.

Very impressed with the coaching staff and the new style of play. It's easy to see where the team will be once there is enough talent on the floor to execute.

Very, very impressed with a few key players: May & Cartwright They have shown the ability to play at the top level, just wish Cartwright would cut down on his turnovers.

Very impressed with Marble, Basabe and McCabe. As true freshman they are showing a tremendous amount of upside but still making freshman mistakes.

Impressed with Archie when we get to see him. This stems more from the fact that I didn't expect the kid to play a single minute for the Hawkeyes. When he does play the kid is around the ball and understands his role - rebounding.

Disappointed with Brommer and Gatens. For some reason the light just doesn't go on for Brommer. He has the body to be an excellent player but the basketball IQ of a 4th grade girl. I understand that Gatens was hurt but at some point the kid needs to stop shooting and start making something happen for his teammates.

I predicted a 9-3 nonconference record but like most could care less if we were 9-3 or 3-9. This is Fran's first year at Iowa. New style of play and the roster isn't exactly ripe with talent. Yr 3 is when record starts to play a significant factor for me. Yr 2 is about solid growth, recruiting and player retention. It would be nice to make the NIT next year and the NCAA tourny in Yr 3. Anything more is just icing on the cake.

Exceeded. It's clear we have a coach and a staff that is doing their job and doing it well. While the style of play the other night was boring, our staff adjusted and we beat UNI at their game. That's encouraging.

And as many have mentioned, you can already see progress with the team in 9 short games.

Now beat Iowa State please!

Fran is such a positive 180 from last year. If Lick were here and Cully injured, think of the minutes Lil Lick would have gotten and he isn' hardly playing for a D3 school in Indy. So excited to be watching basketball again and see a coaching staff to what normal D1 coaching staffs do.

My expectations were not high, so meeting them would not take too much. From what I have seen I'm inclined to say they have exceeded mine. On an individual basis these players have made the difference:

1. Cartwright: finally someone who is a point guard.
  2. May: much more confident.
  3. Basabe: Can score and play defense. Only experience is needed.
  4. Cole: Always a hard worker, but has more talent around him and seems more at ease.
  5. Brommer: Most improved player. Looks like a good role player this year.
  6. Marble: Can score and handle the ball. I often wish he played more minutes than Gatens.
If a person can play their way into the lineup then a person must be able to play their way out. Gaten's should not be the first option on offense with the way he is shooting. He is like 3 for 19 the last two games. He has some bad technique habits and does not seem to be correcting them. He rushes his shot and often unbalanced. Careless with ball as well. Loks like the same Gatens that left off after last year.

McCabe needs to be able to hit the outside shots or he is a liability. His progress from the beginning of the season isn't much.

Thus far it has exceeded and the fans are responding. Carver was the fullest i have seen it in 2 years this last tuesday.

Like most I was not expecting to much and just wanted to see what the new coach was going to do. He has taking some players and thought them how to play. This was what was frustrating to me with the last two coaches at Iowa, they did not know how to develop talent. Fran is definitely a guy that knows how to be a coach and a teacher. I love his passion for the game and the way he shows it during the game. It is infectious for the team in a good way!

While tuesday game was not pretty offensively, I thought it was a lot of fun to watch. The 2nd half was awesome to me. The way that Fran was switching between defensive sets every other trip. While low scoring defensive games was par for the course last year you never saw anything switched up in the middle of the game. Fran knows how to coach!

As long as they keep improving and fighting i will be happy. It would also be nice to get better at free-throws. At least that is what I'm asking for christmas.

The players have lived up to my expectations and the coach has lived up to my expectations.

Would like to see them improve from the foul line.

See a lot of athletes on this team and some decent role-players. They just might slay a few giants this year.

Nothing personal, spank, but...

...past history has shown you will always be more optimistic than what actually happens. That is probably just your nature.

The players have lived up to my expectations and the coach has lived up to my expectations.

Would like to see them improve from the foul line.

See a lot of athletes on this team and some decent role-players. They just might slay a few giants this year.

I see a lot of role players and some athletes. I agree with you that we may slay a giant or two this year.

The poor foul shooting and prolonged scoring droughts worry me but....

I am pleased with the team's progress so far. Coaching is clearly the difference. Fran actually knows what he is doing and is quick to make in-game adjustments. With each passing game, you can see how much the players enjoy playing and how their hustle has increased. And I like Fran saying he will not recruit "projects".

They have certainly met my expectations so far. The record is about where I thought we'd be, and the team has improved from game one through now as much as I could really have hoped for. I had us winning the SDSU game, but had us losing one of two to UNI/ISU, so we're off to a good start there. Still gotta beat the Clones to make up for my SDSU prediction.

We're at least as far as where I was hoping to be at this point. I'm impressed with this coaching staff and for how well the team seems to be responding. I think Fran is doing as much as he can with this group. The ceiling for this year is probably pretty low, but it looks like we'll play to that level before the season is done. We're getting better quickly.

Now we've just got to get our recruiting together, and we'll be well on our way.

Last edited:
Fran has really impressed me. He REALLY knows his stuff, based on what I hear in the press conferences. He also gets fired up, which is a nice balance when you have Ferentz as football coach. I don’t want Mike Stoops nuts, but Fran is good.
Don’t sit Gatens. I guarantee he will start making them. He’s a gym rat and is probably taking shots right now. I played a little rec ball with him before the season, and he did NOT miss. I don’t get it. I expect a big game out of him tomorrow.
siena-coach-fran-mccaffery-yelling-ref-f559c71f850cdd7b_large.jpg

I actually look forward to watching the games again. They look like they are making progress each game. I would not be surprised if this team doesn't beat some of the better conf teams this season on an occasion or two.

Below.

We should not have this record with the schedule we have played. Watching every other team in the Big Ten actually gain 'talent' via recruiting - while we pretty much tread water - is not much fun.

'Normal' Iowa teams would have at least 7 wins at this point.

But, I will digress and realize that normalcy and Iowa basketball has a bit lower standard than it did when I was younger.

Then again, that standard took a hit when I was really young and Iowa lost an 18 pt halftime lead against UNLV.

So what you are saying is that Iowa didn't get better with the four players that were brought in this year?
Basabe is a steal, I was leary with him at first and I admit that, but he is going to be a player that just gets better everyday.
Cartwright still turns the ball over too much for my liking, but is better today than SDSU. Get the JUCO effect out of him and he will be a heck of a player.
McCabe was the second leading scorer and rebounder, he has struggle a bit of late, but still contributes in his role.
Marble now the back-up PG is one of the smatest players on the roster, I love his length and his all-around game.

It will only continue with the more players Fran brings in. They have two that can play and are trying to get some difference makers. Guys that can just get to the rim at will, they will come and with the find Basabe has been, expect Fran to have some kids in mind.

Based on my comment above on our improvement from game 1 to game 9 I now expect us to win 6 conference games. Don't ask me which 6 because I won't venture a guess. I just think our improvement will net some unexpected wins.

For those who were predicting a better record by this point in the season, where/how did you see Iowa getting it with a new coach, staff, last year's departures and the addition of a juco transfer and three other brand new players? :confused:

Latest posts