Iowa Hoops: Are they matching up to your expectations

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I had them being 7-4 after the Drake game...I felt they'd win two of three of the instate games, and win the season opener. So they will have to sweep the instate games to match that.

That said, its been more fun to watch for me. Last nights game was tough on the eyes, but that was par for the course last year.

I really did not know what to expect. I wish we could have the LBS and WF games back. 7-2 would look real good. I honestly expected to win last night. Before the ISU-UNI game I thought we would lose to both teams. After watching that game I felt Iowa could defeat both teams.

Exceeded! Not from a record standpoint, but I promised myself I wouldn't get tied up in worrying about results as much as progress. The product I've seen on the court is so much more fun to watch and it seems like players are really buying in. Thus far Fran's product on the court has lived up to his statements, which is ultimately all I was hoping for.

I have been pleased and have enjoyed watching them compete. I have seen improvements throughout and that is all I ask for. If Iowa can start knocking down some 3's and free throws look out.

I really did not know what to expect. I wish we could have the LBS and WF games back. 7-2 would look real good. I honestly expected to win last night. Before the ISU-UNI game I thought we would lose to both teams. After watching that game I felt Iowa could defeat both teams.

This sums up how I feel as well.

They've exceeded my expectations. I'm not so focused on record as I am on regrouping with a new staff and a bunch of new players, and growth and development. I'm enjoying the style of play I'm seeing. The players seem to be having fun, too. I'm expecting the Big Ten path to be brutal with not a lot of wins. But I think we'll catch some folks, especially if Cartwright, Basabe, Marble, Cole and May stay healthy.

I had pretty low expectations to begin with. I predicted 9 wins on the season and if you had told me 5-4 after nine games I would have taken it. Like one of the other posters said I am not real concerned about the record as long as we are more competitive. So far we have been. I suppose it sounds weird, but one of the interesting things about this season is that I have found myself irate during a couple games(especially wake). In the past I have not cared enough to get that upset. I suppose that is progress as long as it continues.

They have been right on par. I was not looking at wins and loses heading into this year, I was looking at how Fran would begin to develop the program into something we would all be able to cheer for. So far I think this is being met.

I love what I have seen so far. Iowa has looked like the better team in a majority of the games. Not always getting results, but looked good. The UNI game was like watching iowa of last year play iowa of this year. I will take Iowa of this year anytime.

I am pleased so far. I too am not going to get wrapped up in the record. More interested in seeing progress. This team is much more enjoyable to watch. I may even try to make a couple of games.

I am just so glad that they are playing something I recognize as basketball. That aspect has actually exceeded my expectations minus last night but that's going to happen against UNI.

Here's a mind freak for you...

We have won a games in which we have scored 111 points and 51 points within the same season...

My only real expectation was that they would be more enjoyable to watch and they have lived up to that one. I'd be really happy if they managed to finish the season at 500.

No question I'm pleased. Record be damned, I care again and they are fun to watch. The wins will come in time.

Yes they are - it is nice to watch a game without really living and dying by the result and just enjoying the ride at getting back to respectability.

I like Fran's message, the style he plays, the players effort. The losses have been close or tough but they have been in there. I had no real expectations for this team other than having a breath of fresh air. Plus, hey, Iowa just beat a Sweet Sixteen team from a year ago. Keep it up.

I had them being 7-4 after the Drake game...I felt they'd win two of three of the instate games, and win the season opener. So they will have to sweep the instate games to match that.

That said, its been more fun to watch for me. Last nights game was tough on the eyes, but that was par for the course last year.

I'll come at this from two different angles:

1. Overall record. Currently, they are right where I predicted in this forum that they'd be, record-wise. I had them beating SDSU, but losing to UNI, so that's a wash. I had them at 1-2 in the Paradise Jam, which they were. So from that standpoint, they're right on track.

2. Overall progress. This is where they have exceeded my expectations immensely. It is a night and day difference from last year. I can actually see what they're trying to do on offense and with each game they are showing more confidence on that side of the court. Defensively, they are head and shoulders above where I thought they'd be. Other than lapses at certain points, the defense has been outstanding. They're mixing it up between man and zone. They're going three quarter court press and half court trap. And for the most part, it's all been pretty effective. Even though they haven't been with the system for very long, they look really good on that side of the court and much of that can be attributed to coaching. I really enjoy Fran's coaching style and how he communicates with and relates to the players. He understands what buttons to push with which player.

All in all, I don't think I could be more pleased with what I'm seeing. They're improving with each game and you can see the effect Fran and his staff have had on the players in just a short time. I can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings. I can tell you, though......if we can get a somewhat consistent outside threat going, we will be a tough team to contend with. I'm hoping as Gatens continues to heal and gets re-acclimated with game speed and tempo, that he can pick up that slack.

If you told me before the season we would be without Cully Payne for 80% of the year and that Matt Gatens would be out/still recovering for the first ten games, I would have been hard pressed to find eight wins on the schedule. I definitely would not have predicted a win over UNI.

Having said that, they need to keep developing. They're going to take their licks in the Big Ten, but they need to just keep playing better as the year goes on. Last year's team actually showed some flashes of solid play in January/early February, and then fell off a cliff. I would be very frustrated if this team sleepwalks through the last ten games like that squad did.

Im at the point where I'm having a lot of fun as a fan because I have zero expectations and we're having some success. Rather than football, when we win I'm more relieved than anything.

Latest posts