Iowa Hires Two New Football Coaches

It is a dumb question and especially because of three reasons:

1. Bringing race into this is stupid.
2. Kennedy is partially African-American (see wife at http://www.facebook.com/lashonda.l.kennedy).
3. Kirk will hire a black guy to fill Erb's spot.

So, if Kirk has terminated two black guys and hires two black guys, everything has stayed the same. Your Comanche black guy quota will have been maintained.

You might hope that Kennedy is darker skinned because black guys who aren't really black don't count, I guess in your mind.

Do you see how this last statement illustrates the point that the whole race issue is ridiculous?

Kirk is hiring people who know how to coach. Some are black. Some black people are Nestle Quick chocolate milk colored, some are creamy, some look like a Hershey bar. Others are so black they look purple. Who gives a sh*t?!

Is Kirk racist because he hired DJ Hernandez, clearly a Mexican guy that was picked over . . . uh . . . other white candidates or black candidates. Oh, wait, that sounds dumb. See? C'mon, dude. Get with it.

It's 2013. I'm a democrat and have really been upset with Kirk's trajectory. I understand being upset about race issues and bad football but you're wearing a tin foil hat stuck in 1981.

I appreciate you joining in on this, but please don't insult me.

Everything you are asking me I have addressed in previous posts. Mainly, if all things are equal, a black recruit feels more comfortable being recruited by a black coach. And there is nothing wrong with that.

FreedComanche

So as not to put words in your mouth, or misconstrue what you're saying, will you please answer this question. Do you really believe that top notch recruits are now going to start coming to Iowa, or even give Iowa a hard look, b/c we now have Greg Davis calling our "offense"?

When has Iowa ever consistently brought in "top notch" recruits? I don't recall it happening very often although Hayden and Ferentz had a few good years.

When has Iowa ever consistently brought in "top notch" recruits? I don't recall it happening very often although Hayden and Ferentz had a few good years.

Lester Erb actually brought some good ones in. Not sure if they were classified top notch or not.

FreedComanche

I appreciate you joining in on this, but please don't insult me.

Everything you are asking me I have addressed in previous posts. Mainly, if all things are equal, a black recruit feels more comfortable being recruited by a black coach. And there is nothing wrong with that.

FreedComanche

I would completely disagree with this statement, especially where you said "there is nothing wrong with that".

Blacks players are MORE COMFORTABLE with black coaches.

How would you know this?

I would completely disagree with this statement, especially where you said "there is nothing wrong with that".

Blacks players are MORE COMFORTABLE with black coaches.

How would you know this?

I don't know for sure. But read my other posts as to why I believe this and actually think it's a no brainer.

FreedComanche

I don't know for sure. But read my other posts as to why I believe this and actually think it's a no brainer.

FreedComanche

A person's comfort level should never be based on race and unless you have factual data from a study or something to back that up, I think you might want to tone down the race card here.

Lol.............I'd respond to your first two points if I thought you were serious. I will respond to your third even though you know the answer.

"3) If teams hire black coaches to recruit black kids, then why do coaches recruit "area" and not just race?"

Gee, if a coach has recruiting responsibility for inner city Chicago I wonder what race of player he'll be recruiting primarily.

Even the folks who disagree with me on the black player/black coach topic still agree that it's a determining factor, to a certain extent, on where the player signs. They would tell you it's not wide spread. I would say it's more wide spread. And even if it happens to the extent I believe it does, so what?

FreedComanche

I am totally serious, please answer my first two questions. I want to know the pecking order in importance for black recruits on the color of their position coaches VS head coach.

Plus your answer here is a FAIL. Coaches don't recruit a city, let alone just the inner city, they recruit states and regions. Do we send our black coaches to Texas, NJ, or Illinois? By default does that mean we won't recruit black kids from Ohio, Michigan, and Iowa?

I'm just curios, since you know so much about racial recruiting.

Freed made a point on the subject that he belives. I happen to think that it is a belief held by many within in the sporting community. I just dont happen to think it should be a consideration because it plays into the whole race thing. Which I dont like. I belive we should be color blind. But that doesnt make his opinion wrong in that it could make a difference. I think thats all he is saying

FreedComanche

I am totally serious, please answer my first two questions. I want to know the pecking order in importance for black recruits on the color of their position coaches VS head coach.

Plus your answer here is a FAIL. Coaches don't recruit a city, let alone just the inner city, they recruit states and regions. Do we send our black coaches to Texas, NJ, or Illinois? By default does that mean we won't recruit black kids from Ohio, Michigan, and Iowa?

I'm just curios, since you know so much about racial recruiting.

Nah, you don't wanna have a discussion. You haver your bias and you'll be damned if anybody has a different view from yours.

My overall point is that I believe a black recruit from a mostly black area will feel more comfortable with a black coach recruiting him.

Could my point be wrong? Yeah. But I don't think it is. We shouldn't be afraid to talk about this.

FreedComanche

Freed made a point on the subject that he belives. I happen to think that it is a belief held by many within in the sporting community. I just dont happen to think it should be a consideration because it plays into the whole race thing. Which I dont like. I belive we should be color blind. But that doesnt make his opinion wrong in that it could make a difference. I think thats all he is saying

Thanks for being civil on this. It would be great if we were a color blind culture. But with human nature being what it is, it won't happen.

Look at history. There have always been racists, unfortunately. Hitler for example. He thought the arian race was superior to any other. That's true racism, and just one example. It was funny when Jesse Owens totally blew away all the german sprinters on their home turf during the Olympics in the 30's.

FreedComanche

Nah, you don't wanna have a discussion. You haver your bias and you'll be damned if anybody has a different view from yours.

My overall point is that I believe a black recruit from a mostly black area will feel more comfortable with a black coach recruiting him.

Could my point be wrong? Yeah. But I don't think it is. We shouldn't be afraid to talk about this.

FreedComanche

I'm not afraid to talk about this, that is why I am trying to engage you. I have many other questions for you, but if you can't even answer two very basic questions, how can we have a discussion?

It also seems you are trying to say now that blacks from most black areas want black recruiting coaches. Before it was black players want black coaches recruiting them. I would like a clarification on which one of those you believe to be true.

Freed I belive your right that some schools use it as a tool. It may or may not be effective. I just dont think its worth it. Let the other schools do it. I would rather lose a few more games. WOW that should get me blasted on here
Thanks for being civil on this. It would be great if we were a color blind culture. But with human nature being what it is, it won't happen.

Look at history. There have always been racists, unfortunately. Hitler for example. He thought the arian race was superior to any other. That's true racism, and just one example. It was funny when Jesse Owens totally blew away all the german sprinters on their home turf during the Olympics in the 30's.

FreedComanche

I think if this were true, all the major programs would hire all black coaches (head and assistants).

Not often. But Olddude basically said that recruits will come b/c of Davis' "bling".

Not often. But Olddude basically said that recruits will come b/c of Davis' "bling".

I think this is how you spin it and how the players respond to this. If Greggy boy flashes his bling around about "look at my NC ring". "I know what it takes to win one of these, do you want one?" Some kids are going to be attracted to that.

A short while of go, I was listening to Collin Cowherd make reference that kids these days want to be attracted to coaches by their personality. However, he did state that good looking coaches bring a better appealing to the table. Especially to the parents. Though it is little percentage on the decisions kid make towards reasoning for their college choice, it sure does help.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Pat Fritzgerald, Chip Kelly's of the world are considered good looking guys that also bring a swag to them that draws an attraction to any race of kids. KF is not ugly by any standards. Neither is his son. They can go into the inner city areas and if they are able to sell their pitches to both the kid and his parents then they just got their foot in the door. Getting the kid to check out the campus, meet the rest of the coaches, the players and find the academic part pleasing is the other step.

What I am getting at is, no matter what color you are, if you can't attract the kid and his parents you might as well forget it.

(A side note:) One of best friends who is black man in his 40's with a degree in Socialology, told me the birds and the bees of the black culture. One of his statements that he made that stood out is this.

" Young black males thrive on father hood figures coming from a black man." He although stated that now in days, young black males thrive on any good role models black or white. Just someone who help them succeed in life. That kids these days want to get out of the hood and make something out of themselves.

Iowa City is a very attractive and inviting city to live in and to visit. You hear a lot of the stories about these kids saying they "Love Iowa City" "It feels like home". To the inner city kid's, Iowa City is a huge relief.

I don't care who the coach at Iowa is as long as they can recruit the kids they feel will get Iowa back to consistent winning ways.

I'm not afraid to talk about this, that is why I am trying to engage you. I have many other questions for you, but if you can't even answer two very basic questions, how can we have a discussion?

It also seems you are trying to say now that blacks from most black areas want black recruiting coaches. Before it was black players want black coaches recruiting them. I would like a clarification on which one of those you believe to be true.

Ok, I'll clarify what I believe and maybe give some detail.

I believe that most black players that are from predominantly black neighborhoods would feel more comfortable with a black coach recruting them.

Why do I believe that? Let me give an example. Say you have a farm kid, regardless of color, that is a very good athlete. If you were the head coach, who do you think could relate with the kid better, your asst. coach with a farming backgound or your asst. coach that was born and raised in NYC?

If you would say the coach with the farm background then you can take that one step farther with the black coach and the black player because most black coaches would have an urban upbringing similarily to the black player they are recruiting.

All things being equal, you have a white and black coach with urban upbringing, I still believe that the black coach would have a better chance of relating well to the black recruit because it's probable that the black recruit hasn't had a lot of white people in his neighborhood to interract with.

Make sense?

FreedComanche

Iowa City is a very attractive and inviting city to live in and to visit. You hear a lot of the stories about these kids saying they "Love Iowa City" "It feels like home". To the inner city kid's, Iowa City is a huge relief.

HJ75, inner city kids love Iowa City because once they get there and realize that the school isn't in the middle of a bunch of cornfields and it is an actual college town, yes they love it.

Latest posts