Iowa Hires Two New Football Coaches

So what are the white kids suppose to do FREED. This is a dumb discussion. Who cares what color players or coaches are. They are all Black and Gold too me

It's not a dumb discussion.

If most good players are black, you need to cater to them in the recruiting process. Read my other posts on here for my explanation on that.

FreedComanche

Fair enough. And I'm glad you are free to believe what ever you like.

I'd like to explain a litte bit on the black player/black coaches thing.

a) If you are Alabama or really any top ten program year in and year out, I don't think it will matter much what color your coaches are. You are gonna get the best players every year because of your winning tradition.

b) I think all realize the truth that most good D-1A football players are black. Where do these good players come from? I have not done the research, but just connecting the dots, it would seem the majority (not all of course) come from the southern states and metro areas from around the country. So, it would be mostly accurate to believe that the majority (again, not all) of these good players grow up around mainly black people as there are more blacks in the south vs the north, and most big metro areas are populated mainly by black people.

c) If "b" is correct, it would make sense that those good players would be more comfortable around a black coach recruiting them vs a white coach. Think about it, they've grown up with black people and haven't been around whites much. How would it not make sense that they'd be more comfortable with a black coach?

FreedComanche

Just so you know I don't think you were being racist at all either. That was my mistake in my choice of words.

I appreciate and actually agree with some of what you are saying. I just don't think black players put as much emphasis on being coached by black coaches as you think. Black players have been playing and playing well for white coaches for a long time. More than likely, most of them played for white coaches in high school. I don't think in today's day and age that it is something these kids put as much emphasis on. Academics, style of play, location, and the ability to get to the NFL always trump something as trivial as the color of the coaches skin IMO.

Now if their from a family who is very guarded, and their parents put an emphasis on it then it could certainly be an issue. I think families like that are few and far between. Say what you want about KF, but he is a family man and many players have said he's more of a father figure in their lives. If he sits down with the parents of a black recruit I think any reservations they may have had going in about the welfare of their child being in Iowa City would become a moot point. He has the kids best interests in mind and always has. That's one thing I don't think can be argued, and it's why we've seen him become so emotional on the sidelines after a big play by someone like Warren Holloway.

Yeah, you will: This is just folly, unsubstantiated and totally circumstantial.

Are you suggesting Kirk has a problem with blacks in general or just has a problem with black coaches, specifically? See how silly this is?

I think he has a point Jon. I would think an 18 year old leaving home wouldn't mind having a coach to be a mentor or father-like figure, and inherently, would identify with a black coach easier and faster.

I read them Freed. I can see where it might make a difference with some kids. I just dont agree with the idea. There are some things more important to me than Football. We should hire the best coaches we can get if they are purple so be it. If you cater to a certain race what does that say to the other kids. ? Sorry just dont agree

If most good players are black, you need to cater to them in the recruiting process. Read my other posts on here for my explanation on that.

FreedComanche

Fair enough. And I'm glad you are free to believe what ever you like.

I'd like to explain a litte bit on the black player/black coaches thing.

a) If you are Alabama or really any top ten program year in and year out, I don't think it will matter much what color your coaches are. You are gonna get the best players every year because of your winning tradition.

b) I think all realize the truth that most good D-1A football players are black. Where do these good players come from? I have not done the research, but just connecting the dots, it would seem the majority (not all of course) come from the southern states and metro areas from around the country. So, it would be mostly accurate to believe that the majority (again, not all) of these good players grow up around mainly black people as there are more blacks in the south vs the north, and most big metro areas are populated mainly by black people.

c) If "b" is correct, it would make sense that those good players would be more comfortable around a black coach recruiting them vs a white coach. Think about it, they've grown up with black people and haven't been around whites much. How would it not make sense that they'd be more comfortable with a black coach?

OK let me get this straight if you are a top team it doesn't matter what color your coaches are? But if you aren't it does? I thought black players liked being recruited by black coaches, no? It's a flawed argument, and is nothing more than a crack pot opinion of yours. Could it be true for some players? Sure but don't make a sweeping statement that is impossible to prove to be true.

Also for the record- black coaches

PSU-3
Ohio State- 2
Wisconsin-2
Mich- 2
MSU- 2
Indiana- 2
NW- 2
Nebby- 2

How many did Iowa have last year? 3

OK let me get this straight if you are a top team it doesn't matter what color your coaches are? But if you aren't it does? I thought black players liked being recruited by black coaches, no? It's a flawed argument, and is nothing more than a crack pot opinion of yours. Could it be true for some players? Sure but don't make a sweeping statement that is impossible to prove to be true.

Also for the record- black coaches

PSU-3
Ohio State- 2
Wisconsin-2
Mich- 2
MSU- 2
Indiana- 2
NW- 2
Nebby- 2

How many did Iowa have last year? 3

Ok, it may not be as sweeping as I think it is. I said before in another post that I hadn't done the research. Maybe it's not as big an issue in determining where a player goes that I think it is. I still tend to think it is, but oh well.

My point with the most successful schools is this: A player will want to go there to increase his chances to get in the NFL. And, yes, to be consistent, I do believe that black players, in general, like to be recruited by a black coach over a white coach. But if the player's goal is to get to the NFL, he'll over look that to go to a school that gives him the best chance.

I believe this to be true and think it can be proved. But of course I could be wrong.

FreedComanche

When almost all of the good players are black, you gotta have black asst. coaches to recruit them. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that a black player will feel more comfortable being coached by a black vs a white coach.

Oh wait. Nobody is supposed to admit this!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreedComanche

SO, it is not KF, it is the recruits that have a problem with race???

I read them Freed. I can see where it might make a difference with some kids. I just dont agree with the idea. There are some things more important to me than Football. We should hire the best coaches we can get if they are purple so be it. If you cater to a certain race what does that say to the other kids. ? Sorry just dont agree

That's ok. We don't have to agree on everything.

FreedComanche

Why do kids go to Bama? Is it because they have been winning NT's? We now have two coaches who have as well.
Sorry, but when it comes to ball, you follow the bling. I would also get as many former players with bling to help as well. If your not playing that up, your failing at recruiting.

The Jim Reid hire intrigues me. Why does a guy with so much coaching experience (coordinator, head coach, etc...) come to Iowa to be an assistant?
...especially at his age, and after he was a D-coordinator at his last job.

I'm guessing we might see the "co-defensive coordinator" tag in the near future.

FreedComanche

I am fascinated by your theory. Can you answer some of these questions, since the breadth of your knowledge of recruiting seems to be vast?

1) Does a black head coach trump a black position coach who is recruiting a kid? IE if one school sends a black ***. coach to recruit a kid, but has a white head coach, are they viewed more favorably than the school that sends a white ***. coach, but has a black head coach?
2) If black players want to be recruited by black coaches, then do white players want to be recruited by white coaches?
3) If teams hire black coaches to recruit black kids, then why do coaches recruit "area" and not just race?

I know this will get some back comments but KF is running off most of his black assistants. Only Woods is left. Know of course coaching is th most important thing but for most black players at least having some black coaches on the staff I would think is important. Most staffs are very diversified. Maybe the replacements for Erb and possibly Morgan will change this but I am concerned at this time.[/QUO

Okay, what about the italians, irish, germans, jews, bosnians, etc. Black people are not the only race of people on the entire planet you moron. Yeah, he's purposely running all the black coaches off.

......................... but we don't want the IRISH !

blazing-saddles-hes-not-bluffing.jpg

Geez... does being an Iowa football fan now mean I need to hate on everything related to the football program? Ya I cheer for the Hawks even though I don't agree with anything they are doing in Iowa City. That's all you hear around these boards anymore. Sadly I don't have a lot of hope for the next couple of years either, but I'm not gonna sit around and bash the players and coaches all day long. I'll at least let them try to prove they can turn it around on the field first.

How is stating the obvious (easier to pull kids to Texas than Iowa) hating "on everything related to the football program"? Jeezus our own damn coach has repeated it ad nauseum. I'm sorry if you're looking for rainbows and daffodils, b/c the program is anything but right now.

mods, please move this thread to the "racial" forum, as it is no longer about the new coaches. thanks.

FreedComanche

It is a dumb question and especially because of three reasons:

1. Bringing race into this is stupid.
2. Kennedy is partially African-American (see wife at http://www.facebook.com/lashonda.l.kennedy).
3. Kirk will hire a black guy to fill Erb's spot.

So, if Kirk has terminated two black guys and hires two black guys, everything has stayed the same. Your Comanche black guy quota will have been maintained.

You might hope that Kennedy is darker skinned because black guys who aren't really black don't count, I guess in your mind.

Do you see how this last statement illustrates the point that the whole race issue is ridiculous?

Kirk is hiring people who know how to coach. Some are black. Some black people are Nestle Quick chocolate milk colored, some are creamy, some look like a Hershey bar. Others are so black they look purple. Who gives a sh*t?!

Is Kirk racist because he hired DJ Hernandez, clearly a Mexican guy that was picked over . . . uh . . . other white candidates or black candidates. Oh, wait, that sounds dumb. See? C'mon, dude. Get with it.

It's 2013. I'm a democrat and have really been upset with Kirk's trajectory. I understand being upset about race issues and bad football but you're wearing a tin foil hat stuck in 1981.

Why do kids go to Bama? Is it because they have been winning NT's? We now have two coaches who have as well.
Sorry, but when it comes to ball, you follow the bling. I would also get as many former players with bling to help as well. If your not playing that up, your failing at recruiting.

So as not to put words in your mouth, or misconstrue what you're saying, will you please answer this question. Do you really believe that top notch recruits are now going to start coming to Iowa, or even give Iowa a hard look, b/c we now have Greg Davis calling our "offense"?

I am fascinated by your theory. Can you answer some of these questions, since the breadth of your knowledge of recruiting seems to be vast?

1) Does a black head coach trump a black position coach who is recruiting a kid? IE if one school sends a black ***. coach to recruit a kid, but has a white head coach, are they viewed more favorably than the school that sends a white ***. coach, but has a black head coach?
2) If black players want to be recruited by black coaches, then do white players want to be recruited by white coaches?
?

Lol.............I'd respond to your first two points if I thought you were serious. I will respond to your third even though you know the answer.

"3) If teams hire black coaches to recruit black kids, then why do coaches recruit "area" and not just race?"

Gee, if a coach has recruiting responsibility for inner city Chicago I wonder what race of player he'll be recruiting primarily.

Even the folks who disagree with me on the black player/black coach topic still agree that it's a determining factor, to a certain extent, on where the player signs. They would tell you it's not wide spread. I would say it's more wide spread. And even if it happens to the extent I believe it does, so what?

FreedComanche