Iowa Has some Talent Issues

Now juxtapose that with the play of the very young defensive line.

They've played well haven't they?

Because they are talented. They are young, but they are talented. Talent shows no matter how old you are.

Not having it shows no matter how experienced you are too.

I think our defensive line strength is all in the coaching, Reese Morgan is not getting near enough credit for the job he is doing this year and every year before with the offensive line. His ability to teach and motivate players has become highly evident.

I am one of the few on here that thinks we have more talent on the d line this season then last...

I think our defensive line strength is all in the coaching, Reese Morgan is not getting near enough credit for the job he is doing this year and every year before with the offensive line. His ability to teach and motivate players has become highly evident.

I am one of the few on here that thinks we have more talent on the d line this season then last...

I wouldn't go THAT far, but I WOULD say that our DL is executing much better than hoped AND it shouldn't be as big a surprise as many are making it out to be. Some of these guys HAVE been in the system long enough, and played behind some pretty talented guys.

I guess I couldn't disagree with you more John. Don't see it as a talent issue and us being ranked whatever in the Big Ten in recruiting has never really mattered before so why should it now. The issue is an execution one. Keenan Davis is talented. James Vandenburg is talented. Is it talent that makes Keenan consistently drop passes along with every other wide-receiver and tight end we've had for the past two years. Is the reason we dropped like 5-6 balls in crunch time on saturday a talent issue? Maybe talent at catching, but other than their catch rating on a video game being lower, is it really talent? Micah Hyde is one of the most talented corners in college football, C.J. is one of the most talented Tight ends in college football. Not a talent issue, its a focus, consistency, and execution problem. Marvin Mcnutt just set a ton of Iowa records last year, he was highly talented, and he dropped passes consistently too. If you look at our offensive woes the last two weeks they look a lot like last seasons offensive woes, all of which focus on us catching passes. James usually has a sketchy 2nd or 3rd quarter and is a beast in the final quarter and the rest of the game and in crunch time our wr's and te's drop passes all day long, they did that last year, they did it again saturday. Catching the ball isn't a talent issue, its a focus issue. Its an execution issue. Thats what our issues are.

Where is Happel,Moritz,Hinkel? These guys could actually catch the ball. There is NO excuse for the drops that are seen the last few years. Separation is not the problem. Catching the ball is the problem. 4.4 speed is so overrated it's laughable. If you actually have a 2012 offensive scheme instead of a 1969 scheme, you don't need all 4.4 guys. Knowing how to run a route and catching the ball is way more important than speed. Granted, i will take a 4.4 guy anyday, but they aren't as common as led to believe.

I understand being upset about not recruiting crappy players but how much control does a coach have over attrition. I suppose he could look for character but I'm not sure too many negative characteristics will show when a recruit is trying to impress coaches (ok, I don't really know what I'm talking about here.) But aside from that what can he do? He's not a parent to these kids so if they mess up I have a tough time blaming the coach.

At some point you have to say "You've had enough time, you haven't produced enough"

Where is Happel,Moritz,Hinkel? These guys could actually catch the ball. There is NO excuse for the drops that are seen the last few years. Separation is not the problem. Catching the ball is the problem. 4.4 speed is so overrated it's laughable. If you actually have a 2012 offensive scheme instead of a 1969 scheme, you don't need all 4.4 guys. Knowing how to run a route and catching the ball is way more important than speed. Granted, i will take a 4.4 guy anyday, but they aren't as common as led to believe.

+1000

From your lips to God's ears. Bench one of the starting receivers, maybe two. Time to send a message that the object of the game is to actually advance the ball down the field, not drop it on the ground.

What kind of message is that going to send to the receivers if we bench them? Receivers are generally a soft bunch by nature, and benching them is going to kill any sort of confidence they have. We need those guys to step up this season if we are going to salvage a bowl game. Let's give them a little more time before we jump on the benching wagon. This season is not as totally lost as some of you think.

Sounds like Pierschbacher was at the game. What a terrible game for a highly regarded instate recruit to attend. Wonder if this is the year we'll start losing some instate recruiting battles to the Clowns.

Inability to catch the ball.. Isn't that a "talent" issue? WR's should be able to catch. If they can't, then I guess they aren't very good options to throw the ball to? :confused:

Not really...more of a concentration issue. The all have the ability and talent to catch.

Set the throwing speed of the 'football machine' to fastball and get those receivers into the cage for about 100 machine throws a day.

So Ferentz is going full metal Lickliter, trying to win B1G games with MAC talent. That's awesome.

Check this out: At the skill positions, we were better in 1999 than we are now. Better receivers, better running backs. QB prolly a wash. But that team beat NIU by more than this team did. So there's that.

This is absolutely unforgivable. I'm ready for the post-Ferentz era if this is how it's gonna be.

Also, anyone waiting for Vandensherman to improve, I've got bad news for ya. Dude's a fifth year senior and he's not only not breaking bad habits, he's doubling down on them. That last interception? That's a pass made by a rookie on his first play from scrimmage, not by a fifth year senior. That's a benchable offense.

Now I know this is just a stupid game and nothing but entertainment when you strip away the veneer, but let's face it...we're all invested in this for various reasons. via our time and money. As such, we should ask ourselves if this return on our investment is acceptable.

One final thought. Although I admire Ferentz from a personal standpoint, and I want him to succeed, I've been suspicious of his decision-making ever since that awful day at Kinnick when he pulled Brad Banks in the Michigan game, and my doubts have never really been allayed. Now, it seems, they are being confirmed.

So, you were in favor of Christensen-in-for-Tate?

Latest posts