Iowa gets grad transfer from Nevada

Did they promise JB "x" amount of playing time?
Will he be a RB primarily or an oft-used WR out of the RB position?
Who talked KF into doing this?
Was AW and/or the other back up RBs conferred with?
Who else did JB consider before choosing Iowa?

Last edited:
Is it possible that we finally get a kid to realize Iowa would be a great place for a RB to play with out tradition of OL. It always baffles me that RBs aren't lining up to play here.

That is an awful comparison.Bayless-Paki. No comparison. Bayless rocked it shen Harmon went out, had a drink of coffee w/Vikings. One of the most productive 'slashers' iowa has had.

Maybe not Bayless. I stand corrected. I was referring more to depth than anything. We have had some lean years at running back. Bayless had one breakout year the year he took over for Harmon. (His junior year). His senior year he lost his starting job due to injury.

As for Paki, I believe he was fourth or fifth on the depth chart? Regardless, depth is something that can be a blessing or a curse. Seems often times when Iowa has depth, it often doesn't help. Let's hope this is not the case.

Saint Francis high school running back James Butler always thought of Iowa as one of his preferred schools until Nevada Special Teams Coordinator/Running Backs coach Lester Erb gave him a call and offered him a scholarship.

James Butler must have had a good relationship with Lester Erb. Erb left Nevada after the 2016 season to become the running backs coach at Rutgers. Erb of course was also an Iowa assistant coach from 2000-2012.

So, when should we start hearing the Wadley's injured rumors?

He's not injured. However, because of Butler's eligibility, the coaching staff is strongly considering redshirting Wadley to save him for next year. Why have 2 guys with that ability when there's only one ball?

Christmas in July for the Hawks. This guys stats are crazy good ... 1300+ yards rushing each of the last two years. He can also catch the ball, 37 receptions last year. A perfect "ground and pound" guy behind our OL when needed and great compliment to Wadley and our other RBs.

It's quite possible we have 2 future NFL backs behind that OL this year.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is this a bigger deal than perhaps being documented? What I mean is, this is Kirk & co. taking a transfer athlete. This is rare to me, and a skill position to boot. Maybe, just ever so slightly, Kirk is trying a few new things, dipping his toe in the water. This is a good pick up, kid can play. IF... IF this goes well perhaps Kirk will take a chance on a receiver next year?!??

Denver, I'm with you on this. I posted something similar on another site. I am hopeful this means an expansion of the offensive philosophy. Could we see 2 back sets with no FB? Perhaps AW and JB motion wide; then, you could jet sweep with either guy. you'd spread the defense but wouldn't know which direction the sweep would come. Or, you'd have 2 rb's that could run pass pattern against an lb. Could this also mean read option packages? I don't feel this is an indictment of Toren Young, just a weapon to help the offense change its makeup. We won't know til the season starts, but I'm optimistic.

He's not injured. However, because of Butler's eligibility, the coaching staff is strongly considering redshirting Wadley to save him for next year. Why have 2 guys with that ability when there's only one ball?

Ummm.....AW almost went pro. I doubt he'd take a RS.

my first overall impression of mr. butler is great pass protection and tough gritty yards. I think he will be a very capable 3rd down back and spelling wadley at times! more of a head down straight ahead runner

Latest posts