Iowa Football: Play of the Decade (VOTE!)

What was the best play of the 2000's?

• Stanzi to McNutt

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • Tate to Holloway

Votes: 201 79.1%
  • Greene Spin Cycle vs Wisconsin

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Murray's Kick over Penn State

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Brad Banks to Dallas Clark vs Purdue

Votes: 22 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The onside makes me angry, but the facemask is the one that really gets me going...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vRYakQgkI"]YouTube- 2006 Outback Bowl Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Florida Gators[/ame]

We were robbed in that '06 Outback Bowl I can say that was easily the worst officiated game i've personally seen.

Tate to Holloway is the choice for me, going from thinking "we have no chance time is running out!" to "OMG!!! He caught it!!!! AHHHH!!! great stuff.

BTW thanks Jon for giving something to talk about in the wait for the bowl. The 9 months after the Bowl are going to be very long.

So many great plays! Why must we pick just one? "All Up" is almost without a question #1, but the others, especially Murray's kick, deserve a high pedestal in Iowa history.

The best part about this poll is that I was at 2 of these games!

It's Banks to Clark ... no question

There are 3 plays from that game that could make this list

Last edited:
Tate - Holloway. The way I felt after that game has never been matched since, although it's been close, PSU '08 and MSU '09 were knocking on the door.

I voted for Murray- sort of to make a statement because it was a pretty easy FG. But that win represented the full turnaround from the two really down years before. The Hawks came back to stay that day.

I don't get it ... Tate to Holloway turned out great, but that drive was pitiful and the result was more luck than skill ... it felt nothing like Stanzi driving on PSU or MSU, or Banks driving on Purdue

I voted Banks to Clark because that gave us the momentum to start crushing teams in 2002, and put us back on the map.

I would have voted for Clayborn blocked punt if it were on there. I think people forget how little we had done on offense that night up until that play. Without that play we were on our way to a 10-5 defeat. And if Adriandidn't scoop it up and score it may have ended in an 10-8 defeat.

I had to vote Stanzi to McNutt. It was hard though because Tate to Hollaway was just as exciting. The only reason I voted the way I did is because Stanzi to McNutt was the perfect play executed perfectly. From the called time out to the play itself. Tate to Hollaway was a play of desperation that just happened to work. So, for the play of the decade I had to vote for the play that was executed by everyone perfectly to continue the best start of any Hawk team ever.

I've had a lot of great days/events in my life. My wedding day and the birth of my two kids come to mind. But I've never had 10 minutes of pure jubilation like I experienced in Orlando after All Up. We lost our voices AFTER THE GAME that day.

My play of the 2000s--Kahlil Hill's 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against Michigan State on October 7, 2000. Why? That was the play that very likely saved Kirk Ferentz's job.

The Iowa offense was struggling that day. Michigan State had just scored to go up 16-7 late in the third quarter. Immediately after the MSU score you could feel the air rush out of the stadium as no one in the stands or on the field felt that Iowa could score enough to overcome that lead--then Kahlil Hill returns the kickoff for a touchdown, and it is a new game--a game that Iowa ekes out 21-16.

Iowa was 1-15 at that point in the Ferentz era. Without that kickoff return we would have lost to Michigan State. After the Michigan State game we got blown out against Illinois and Ohio State. Without the win against Michigan State, I doubt we would have played Wisconsin close the week after OSU. I doubt we would have won in double overtime against Penn State the following week. And, not having beaten Michigan State or Penn State, I doubt we would have beaten Northwestern. Assuming that is the case, Ferentz would have been 1-10 in 1999, and 0-12 in 2000. My guess is that would have been the end of the Ferentz era.

Sometimes when you are struggling, the difference between winning and losing, between building momentum and losing your team, isn't that great and may hinge on a single play. I would argue that one play was critical to Iowa turning the corner under Kirk Ferentz and thus all of the success we have enjoyed over the last ten years might not have happened without this single play--when Kahlil Hill saved the day, the season, and the Kirk Ferentz era by running a kickoff back for a touchdown against Michigan State. And thus, for me, since all of our success harkens back to that one single play, that play is my play of the decade.

Last edited:
Tate to Holloway without a doubt. We never win in those situations, who does? But for it to actually happen was unbelievalbe! I've never before or since had 3 guys jumping up and down, hugging in my house...ever!

the obvious choice for the moment and magic is the Tate to Halloway bomb. But I would argue that the kick in the Penn State game propelled the team not only at the end of last season, but also helped to get them ready to go 10-2 this season. I see that as the biggest play of the ones listed.

Outback Bowl '06...should not be recognized as a loss by the University or THE BIG 10. That was total BS.

As far as which play to vote for. I never thought I'd vote anything over Tate to Holloway....however the magnitude of Stanzi to McNutt....caused me to vote that way. Going 8-0 for the first time in school history....National Championship opportunity on the line....just so much more was weighing on that play at the time.

The onside makes me angry, but the facemask is the one that really gets me going...

YouTube- 2006 Outback Bowl Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Florida Gators

If they gave Emmy Awards for YouTube videos (and they probably do) this video would get my vote...as a Hawkeye fan it takes you from the lowest of the low feeling like the world is out to get us and there's nothing we can do...to that feeling that win or lose there is nothing better than being a Hawkeye.

I f'n love this video!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eox4WYGwg20&feature=related"]YouTube- Iowa vs Syracuse Goal Line Stand[/ame]

ScotHawk is always good for a sweet YouTube video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mzwFVAl1mQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Winning It All[/ame]

Or two!

Latest posts