Iowa Football Parents Asking for Transparency from Big Ten

KUDOS to the Hawkeye parents taking the initiative on this. Lack of transparency is a killer & leads to an uncontrollable rumor mill.

I'm striving to remain objective on this but lack of specific answers to the questions posed by the parents is frustrating.

It is way too early to judge Kevin Warren's performance but I was stunned by his lack of preparation for the interview with Dave Revsin on BIG X Network. It appeared there was no forethought to questions which should have been expected. Kevin had the proverbial "Deer in the headlights" look throughout the interview.

Hope communications from BIG X pick up immediately.

CJ parents protest....good parent.

Wadley mom bad parent

My kid needs a participation ribbon...good parent.

My daughter an athlete was raped...bad parent.

I have been reading research from medical people where they say Covid is as much a vascular disease as it is a respiratory disease. Covid can attack other organ systems in the body besides just the lungs.

Are the hawkeye players parents wanting to have the team play or do they just want answers as to why the season was cancelled?

I think many of them want fall football. I think all of them want concrete answers as to why Big Ten isn't playing and other three other Power 5s are playing. PAC-12 has been transparent. Big Ten has not.

One of the talking heads on sports radio today - I believe ESPNu - reported that the BIG X has 10 football players who have myocarditis resulting from COVID19. This may well have played an important role in the BIG cancelling the football season.

One of the talking heads on sports radio today - I believe ESPNu - reported that the BIG X has 10 football players who have myocarditis resulting from COVID19. This may well have played an important role in the BIG cancelling the football season.

First, that has wavered from 3 to 10, and anywhere in between,

Basically, three things happened:
1) Rutgers had 28 positives, quickly followed by news that players had shown up at an on-campus party. (In other words, "If players won't even 'try', why should the risk be taken?")

2) Facebook post from Indiana player mother talking about her son having myocarditis post-COVID.Was not substantiated, but evidently, several B1G "bigwigs" saw it, or were shown it. (In other words, "What do we NOT know?")

3) Kevin Warren made no mention of his son's status at $EC-member MS State since the announcement. Also, he and B1G Presidents got played. Look at half the doctors they cited (ACC, SEC, etc, med schools and hospitals). Those other schools MAY cancel their seasons, but NONE will look as stupid as Warren did, given lack of detailed explanation, the fact his kid is at an $EC school and may still play, etc.

The last, while an important point, shouldn't be the overriding factor. While I know many Iowa parents want the season to go on--and I do, too, of course--there ARE parents (I have interacted with an Iowa parent) who agree/are okay with the league. And i won't second-guess those sentiments in the least.

Bottom line, from a parental perspective, is that you want what is best/safest for your kid.

This decision was made by Big Ten presidents and chancellors not by Kevin Warren. I’m sure he was consulted but I don’t believe he had a vote.

This decision was made by Big Ten presidents and chancellors not by Kevin Warren. I’m sure he was consulted but I don’t believe he had a vote.

Some of his posturing, and his responses, certainly made it appear as if he had a say in the matter. He stated that HE was on in communication with other conferences, and that HE was in on the discussions. Then again, he can't very well voice displeasure with the decision if he wants to keep his job...

Either way, he got played, by other leagues, or by B1G leadership. If he had ANY inkling this was going to happen, he should NEVER have done the conference-games-only-here's-the-new-schedule-welcome-back-to-the-players rodeo.

Again, though, not ALL the parents are against the decision.

This was 1st Big chance for presidents to show new Commish who's in charge. Delaney's term covered a 3 to 8 presidents and it was other way around for the last n15 yrs

Big Ten made the right call...parents/players failing to see the bigger issue here...all the playing time in the world does you know good if you end up 6 feet under or have permanent life injuries.

I don't disagree with you but there is no data to suggests that their risk is less by not playing sports. In fact it's likely more

I have been wondering how the power dynamic is playing out behind the scenes. Being "consulted" and having "influence" are two different things. Delaney had "influence". It is an unfair comparison because Warren has just started and there is no playbook for a pandemic, but it does seem like, as @hawkeyebob62 has stated, that Warren got played on this.

Big Ten made the right call...parents/players failing to see the bigger issue here...all the playing time in the world does you know good if you end up 6 feet under or have permanent life injuries.

I agree. You can't talk about the safety and welfare of student-athletes, then turn around and play anywhere from 18 to 22 games during a 9 mos. stretch......you are talking about the ultimate in hypocrisy.

That being stated, if the other 3 conferences play and "pull it off" the optics for the B1G are going to look really bad.

First, that has wavered from 3 to 10, and anywhere in between,

Basically, three things happened:
1) Rutgers had 28 positives, quickly followed by news that players had shown up at an on-campus party. (In other words, "If players won't even 'try', why should the risk be taken?")

2) Facebook post from Indiana player mother talking about her son having myocarditis post-COVID.Was not substantiated, but evidently, several B1G "bigwigs" saw it, or were shown it. (In other words, "What do we NOT know?")

3) Kevin Warren made no mention of his son's status at $EC-member MS State since the announcement. Also, he and B1G Presidents got played. Look at half the doctors they cited (ACC, SEC, etc, med schools and hospitals). Those other schools MAY cancel their seasons, but NONE will look as stupid as Warren did, given lack of detailed explanation, the fact his kid is at an $EC school and may still play, etc.

The last, while an important point, shouldn't be the overriding factor. While I know many Iowa parents want the season to go on--and I do, too, of course--there ARE parents (I have interacted with an Iowa parent) who agree/are okay with the league. And i won't second-guess those sentiments in the least.

Bottom line, from a parental perspective, is that you want what is best/safest for your kid.

Warren and the B1G president/chancellors have to be privately rooting for the other 3 conferences not to play.

This was 1st Big chance for presidents to show new Commish who's in charge. Delaney's term covered a 3 to 8 presidents and it was other way around for the last n15 yrs

Interesting point. You have to wonder if Delany could have kept the train rolling and if this is a power play on the new commish. One would hope it was done for the right reasons but who knows.

Latest posts