Iowa Football Coaching Staff Salaries

We're still generally dealing with the same administration that made this happen, right?

Fran McCaffery: $872,169.25
Todd Lickliter: $858,334.00

This is the last year of also paying Lickliter, right? I'd wager Fran gets a new deal when there's more money to spend on him.

There's no way Brian was promised the head coaching job.

That said, I can see Brian becoming the offensive coordinator in two or three years, if Iowa turns things around, and then be in line for it and someone who would make sense.

All of that is dependent on the program turning things around. If that doesn't happen over the next three or four years, I doubt it would happen.

I'm curious as to why everyone thinks Brian Ferentz should be the OC??

He had to be promised something. With the way Belichick coaches spread throughout the NFL, it makes zero sense that a rising position coach would leave when he's just heating up to take a step backwards in his career for $80 grand UNLESS he was promised something.

Take a break from the ******* memes and intentional misspellings and actually read the posts before you spew the usual nonsense.

NOTE: Salaries for Brian Ferentz, Greg Davis, LeVar Woods include just money earned from February through June.
Brian's annual salary is $218,592.00, Woods is $201,960.00 and Greg Davis' is $325,000.00

This is the last year of also paying Lickliter, right? I'd wager Fran gets a new deal when there's more money to spend on him.

I'm not commenting on Fran's salary, I'm commenting on the ineptitude of the brass that hires coaches and sanctions their contracts. If they can hire Todd Lickliter and still be paying him almost a million for doing nothing, then they can promise the head coaching job to Brain.

Brain's salary makes it clear that he was promised the Head job when Kurt retires. One does not leave the staff of a top 3 NFL franchise to take an equal position on the staff of a mid-range college program for plumber money...unless they were promised something big in the future.

STOP referring to him as "Kurt" it's disrespectful and downright stupid...

but relative to her peers and what they make, Bluder is worth what she's making.

Disagree. According to this article Bluder is the 3rd highest paid coach in the B1G, not including NW and PSU who don't have to report salaries.

In her 12 seasons she has exactly one shared B1G title and a 3-8 record in the NCAA tourney.

Also, your claim about attendance for women's games being higher for some of Lick's tenure is laughable. During Lick's tenure here are the attendance numbers for the women's team:

2007-2008: 2987 per game
2008-2009: 3481 per game
2009-2010: 3488 per game

And for the men:

2007-2008: 10,761 per game
2008-2009: 10,861 per game
2009-2010: 9550 per game

That's messed up. Dr. Alan Reed has coasted by for years with mediocre results in surgery. Only at lil' ol' Iowa would we allow him to keep performing transplants at that salary.

I heard his quote after the last poor performance was, "That's surgery".

Disagree. According to this article Bluder is the 3rd highest paid coach in the B1G, not including NW and PSU who don't have to report salaries.

In her 12 seasons she has exactly one shared B1G title and a 3-8 record in the NCAA tourney.

Also, your claim about attendance for women's games being higher for some of Lick's tenure is laughable. During Lick's tenure here are the attendance numbers for the women's team:

2007-2008: 2987 per game
2008-2009: 3481 per game
2009-2010: 3488 per game

And for the men:

2007-2008: 10,761 per game
2008-2009: 10,861 per game
2009-2010: 9550 per game

My mistake. I made that statement thinking of actual, not paid attendance.

But, in terms of her pay in the B1G: Who's better? I'm guessing Michigan State and Ohio State pay more. I don't include Nebraska, as contracts were already in place when the Huskers moved in. The only other team I could see an argument for is Purdue.

So what we're talking about is the 4th or 5th best coach in the league, at the time the deal was made, making 3rd or 4th best money. Not exactly a crime against humanity there.

Last edited:
To be fair he was on his 8th string scalpel and was breaking in a new head nurse.

Excuses. If he's going to earn top money, he can't have these excuses. It angers me that ISU's top veterinarian never loses a horse on the table while Reed sits on his fat contract from a procedure he developed in 2002. We could get a young surgeon for 1/3 the price if it were not for his ridiculous contract.

Excuses. If he's going to earn top money, he can't have these excuses. It angers me that ISU's top veterinarian never loses a horse on the table while Reed sits on his fat contract from a procedure he developed in 2002. We could get a young surgeon for 1/3 the price if it were not for his ridiculous contract.

How quickly people forget that it was only roughly 3 short years ago that surgeon Reed successfully transplanted a new heart in to an 8 year old girl. It's been called the "Orange Bowl victory" of the surgical world in several medical journals.

I'm more concerned about the professor making 700+ G a year. He's not helping the football team any. Why the hell is he getting paid so much?

Last edited:
The Register released the 2011 state employee salaries today. This is always interesting to look at, and here are what the Iowa coaches get paid. NOTE: Iowa's athletic department does not receive funding from state tax dollars...it is fully funded by donors and self generated revenues (BTN, etc). This is for Fiscal Year ending June 30

Kirk Ferentz: $3,725,000.00
Greg Davis: $100,000.00
Phil Parker: $306,223.14
Eric Johnson: $209,522.60
LeVar Woods: $116,999.15
Brian Ferentz: $73,892.08
David Raih: $8,358.00
Darrell Wilson: $279,675.00
Reese Morgan: $284,894.22
Lester Erb: $280,059.60

NOTE: Salaries for Brian Ferentz, Greg Davis, LeVar Woods include just money earned from February through June. Brian's annual salary is $218,592.00, Woods is $201,960.00 and Greg Davis' is $325,000.00

Other notables:

Fran McCaffery: $872,169.25
Todd Lickliter: $858,334.00
Paul Rhoads: $1,425,000.00
Fred Hoiberg: $908,531.75
Lisa Bluder: $568,000.00
Bill Fennely: $559,999.96

Highest Paid non-coach

Alan Reed, Iowa Professor: $777,247.62

Soup Campbell on the list?

Pat Summitt made $1.25 million. Geno is around 1.6.

Bluder ain't Summitt or Geno, but I'd say she's worth less than half of what those coaches make. They make the dance consistently, and are usually fun to watch (at least as much fun as reasonably possible, for those of you who don't care for women's basketball).

They also seem to get pretty solid attendance (better than Lickliter's teams, especially in his last year). They ranked 18th nationally in attendance last year, with an average of 4,846.

I would add that she's been coaching there for, i believe, 12 yrs. So it's not as tho she just showed up and demanded big moneys.

I would add that she's been coaching there for, i believe, 12 yrs. So it's not as tho she just showed up and demanded big moneys.

So it's fair to accept mediocrity in women's basketball as long as the coach has longevity but not in football. And KF is responsible for a much larger chunk of revenue generated than Bluder is.

I'm more concerned about the professor making 700+ G a year. He's not helping the football team any. Why the hell is he getting paid so much?

I'm not donating any money until Mason sacks up and fires him. I'm just excited it is almost dentistry season, so I have something to look forward to.

Latest posts