Iowa Football Coaching Staff Salaries

OMG Bluder has NO chance, 0, goose egg, nada chance of getting the Lady Hawks any further than the 1st round of the NCAAs. She certainly isn't worth a half a MIL.

Summitt and Geno aren't/weren't worth $1.25 or $1.6 million, either. But that's how it is. Rail on how overpaid WBB coaches are all you want. But don't rail on Barta for giving Bluder her market worth. He can settle for overpaying Bluder, or he can also overpay for worse results than he's currently getting.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Tell me, how does Iowa get the hell out of that market in this case? They're captive consumers. They can either overpay for solid/good results, or they can overpay for bad results. When faced with that choice, what would any rational actor do? Exactly what Iowa is doing.

WBB loses money. Not just here, but pretty much anywhere where the school actually tries to be successful at it. That's just how it is. If Iowa wants to keep a solid program, they're going to have to overpay for it. They'd be overpaying to get lesser results, too.

Should salaries come down? Sure. But if you want to have a successful program, you can't play Lone Ranger against the system and demand your coach to take less than what the market says they're worth.

The only other option would be to just cut the program entirely. That will NEVER happen, and only an idiot would question why.

How do they get out of the market? They simply say eff it, pay the coach a similar salary to other non-revenue sports, and be completely noncompetitive. Or if possible, just drop the program entirely unless there is some B1G rule against it. That's not idiotic. Idiotic is seeing your neighbor to the east pay 100K for a Ford Focus, seeing your neighbor to the west pay 250K for a Honda Civic and then thinking you must pay $175K for a Chevy Malibu.

No one actually cares about women's BBall. If they did actually care, they could show that in the use of their pocket books and growth of revenue associated with the program would have kept in line with the growth of expenses. That simply hasn't happened. WBB continues to consume a greater and great share of the pie allowed to non-revenue sports. Net expense for WBB is 4 times the average amount for other sports. What WBB consumes is not available for other sports.

Iowa could add 4 additional sports programs by getting rid of women's BB. Doing so would be an excellent idea.

How do they get out of the market? They simply say eff it, pay the coach a similar salary to other non-revenue sports, and be completely noncompetitive. Or if possible, just drop the program entirely unless there is some B1G rule against it. That's not idiotic. Idiotic is seeing your neighbor to the east pay 100K for a Ford Focus, seeing your neighbor to the west pay 250K for a Honda Civic and then thinking you must pay $175K for a Chevy Malibu.

No one actually cares about women's BBall. If they did actually care, they could show that in the use of their pocket books and growth of revenue associated with the program would have kept in line with the growth of expenses. That simply hasn't happened. WBB continues to consume a greater and great share of the pie allowed to non-revenue sports. Net expense for WBB is 4 times the average amount for other sports. What WBB consumes is not available for other sports.

Iowa could add 4 additional sports programs by getting rid of women's BB. Doing so would be an excellent idea.

There is no way WBB is going away, and I don't think it should. No one cares any more about the other non-revenue sports than they do WBB, so who cares if we're not competitive in them?

I don't see anyone calling to cut other programs on campus that are actually just not good (volleyball, women's golf, women's tennis, looking at you). No, it's women's basketball that people rail on, one of the few women's sports that are actually pretty good, and consistently.

Hell, the women's golf and rowing teams have just recently gotten some brand-new facilities. Why spend that money on programs that are so bad? Why not just say eff it and spread the money among programs that actually have success?

The Iowa AD is self-sufficient. Football has more than carried enough weight to cover the differences, and MBB will start to lend a bigger hand to that very soon, too.

I'm more concerned about the professor making 700+ G a year. He's not helping the football team any. Why the hell is he getting paid so much?

"Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ***?"

;)

There is no way WBB is going away, and I don't think it should. No one cares any more about the other non-revenue sports than they do WBB, so who cares if we're not competitive in them?

I don't see anyone calling to cut other programs on campus that are actually just not good (volleyball, women's golf, women's tennis, looking at you). No, it's women's basketball that people rail on, one of the few women's sports that are actually pretty good, and consistently.

Hell, the women's golf and rowing teams have just recently gotten some brand-new facilities. Why spend that money on programs that are so bad? Why not just say eff it and spread the money among programs that actually have success?

The Iowa AD is self-sufficient. Football has more than carried enough weight to cover the differences, and MBB will start to lend a bigger hand to that very soon, too.

People rail on WBB because it loses $2.7M annually, while the other sports spend an avg. of $690K. If WBB were on a similar financial plane as other non-rev. sports I'd be completely supportive. It's not. It's not even close. And the gap is getting wider.

If history is any indication, the university is in an extremely rare situation right now. It is flush with cash from football and a football driven TV network. This allows ADs like Barta to inefficient with their money, at least for the time being.

But times change. Thirty years ago, no one could have possibly imagined ISU not having a baseball team (a program that had been in existence since the 1800s btw). Yet we now live in a world were ISU loses enough money annually on women's Bball to field 3 baseball teams (or rather 1 baseball team and 2 offsetting women's sports).

Somewhere a long the line, someone decided to give opportunity to 13 women a year and make Bill Fennelly a very rich man instead of giving the same opportunities to say 50 other young people. I'd prefer the UofI take a different path even if we haven't come to that fork in the road as of yet.

People rail on WBB because it loses $2.7M annually, while the other sports spend an avg. of $690K. If WBB were on a similar financial plane as other non-rev. sports I'd be completely supportive. It's not. It's not even close. And the gap is getting wider.

If history is any indication, the university is in an extremely rare situation right now. It is flush with cash from football and a football driven TV network. This allows ADs like Barta to inefficient with their money, at least for the time being.

But times change. Thirty years ago, no one could have possibly imagined ISU not having a baseball team (a program that had been in existence since the 1800s btw). Yet we now live in a world were ISU loses enough money annually on women's Bball to field 3 baseball teams (or rather 1 baseball team and 2 offsetting women's sports).

Somewhere a long the line, someone decided to give opportunity to 13 women a year and make Bill Fennelly a very rich man instead of giving the same opportunities to say 50 other young people. I'd prefer the UofI take a different path even if we haven't come to that fork in the road as of yet.

A women's program isn't going to get cut. And honestly, what other sports are there to add? Water polo and lacrosse are the only women's sports even worth considering at this point. Iowa offers almost every women's sport that's worth providing. Unless you'd also like to see Iowa Fencing and Iowa Bowling.

Women's basketball is the most popular women's sport, and I'd prefer to see Iowa field a competitive team than add more weak programs with the money saved by giving up on WBB.

This is the last year of also paying Lickliter, right? I'd wager Fran gets a new deal when there's more money to spend on him.
I thought Fran was getting paid either 1.2mil or 1.3mil???? If we get into the NCAAs this year, look for Fran to make 1.5+ mil.

Latest posts