Iowa Football Coaching Staff Salaries

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Register released the 2011 state employee salaries today. This is always interesting to look at, and here are what the Iowa coaches get paid. NOTE: Iowa's athletic department does not receive funding from state tax dollars...it is fully funded by donors and self generated revenues (BTN, etc). This is for Fiscal Year ending June 30

Kirk Ferentz: $3,725,000.00
Greg Davis: $100,000.00
Phil Parker: $306,223.14
Eric Johnson: $209,522.60
LeVar Woods: $116,999.15
Brian Ferentz: $73,892.08
David Raih: $8,358.00
Darrell Wilson: $279,675.00
Reese Morgan: $284,894.22
Lester Erb: $280,059.60

NOTE: Salaries for Brian Ferentz, Greg Davis, LeVar Woods include just money earned from February through June. Brian's annual salary is $218,592.00, Woods is $201,960.00 and Greg Davis' is $325,000.00

Other notables:

Fran McCaffery: $872,169.25
Todd Lickliter: $858,334.00
Paul Rhoads: $1,425,000.00
Fred Hoiberg: $908,531.75
Lisa Bluder: $568,000.00
Bill Fennely: $559,999.96

Highest Paid non-coach

Alan Reed, Iowa Professor: $777,247.62

Last edited:
That's messed up. Dr. Alan Reed has coasted by for years with mediocre results in surgery. Only at lil' ol' Iowa would we allow him to keep performing transplants at that salary.

The Register released the 2011 state employee salaries today. This is always interesting to look at, and here are what the Iowa coaches get paid. NOTE: Iowa's athletic department does not receive funding from state tax dollars...it is fully funded by donors and self generated revenues (BTN, etc). This is for Fiscal Year ending June 30

Other notables:

Highest Paid non-coach

Brian Ferentz is underpaid, Greg Davis is overpaid and Lickliter still makes me furious.

And is the women's basketball coach really worth over a half million dollars? I do not think so.

Other notables:

Highest Paid non-coach

Interesting that Woods gets more than Ferentz. Also (yes I know our offense stinks) but wow that's low $ for Davis. Maybe at that amount, Ferentz didn't have too many choices.

Brain's salary makes it clear that he was promised the Head job when Kurt retires. One does not leave the staff of a top 3 NFL franchise to take an equal position on the staff of a mid-range college program for plumber money...unless they were promised something big in the future.

Brain's salary makes it clear that he was promised the Head job when Kurt retires. One does not leave the staff of a top 3 NFL franchise to take an equal position on the staff of a mid-range college program for plumber money...unless they were promised something big in the future.

Fine by me. Hopefully he transitions to OC in the next couple years and then takes over for KF when Steven has exhausted his eligibility.

Brian Ferentz is underpaid, Greg Davis is overpaid and Lickliter still makes me furious.

And is the women's basketball coach really worth over a half million dollars? I do not think so.

Pat Summitt made $1.25 million. Geno is around 1.6.

Bluder ain't Summitt or Geno, but I'd say she's worth less than half of what those coaches make. They make the dance consistently, and are usually fun to watch (at least as much fun as reasonably possible, for those of you who don't care for women's basketball).

They also seem to get pretty solid attendance (better than Lickliter's teams, especially in his last year). They ranked 18th nationally in attendance last year, with an average of 4,846.

There's no way Brian was promised the head coaching job.

That said, I can see Brian becoming the offensive coordinator in two or three years, if Iowa turns things around, and then be in line for it and someone who would make sense.

All of that is dependent on the program turning things around. If that doesn't happen over the next three or four years, I doubt it would happen.

Pat Summitt made $1.25 million. Geno is around 1.6.

Bluder ain't Summitt or Geno, but I'd say she's worth less than half of what those coaches make. They make the dance consistently, and are usually fun to watch (at least as much fun as reasonably possible, for those of you who don't care for women's basketball). They also seem to get pretty solid attendance (better than Lickliter's teams, especially in his last year).

I'm guessing Geno and Summitt's programs also show a profit for the last 12-15 years.

Note the salaries for the guys who seem really low are just money earned from Feb to June, their annual salaries are much higher.

OMG GREG DAVIS IS TEH MOST OVERPAID OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN TEH HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!! THE GUY IS GETTING PAID $1000 A YARD EACH GAME!!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!!11!!1!1

Brian lives in rent a free apartment to make up the difference.

I'm guessing Geno and Summitt's programs also show a profit for the last 12-15 years.

Actually, UCONN and Tennessee both spent over 700k more than they earned in the 2010 fiscal year. Texas A&M was a whopping $2.8m in the red.

Women Basketball Programs Lose Money as Salaries Break College Budgets - Bloomberg

53 schools in the power six conferences that year lost money. You can make the argument that that is why coaching salaries should come down, but relative to her peers and what they make, Bluder is worth what she's making.

Actually, UCONN and Tennessee both spent over 700k more than they earned in the 2010 fiscal year. Texas A&M was a whopping $2.8m in the red.

Women Basketball Programs Lose Money as Salaries Break College Budgets - Bloomberg

53 schools in the power six conferences that year lost money. You can make the argument that that is why coaching salaries should come down, but relative to her peers and what they make, Bluder is worth what she's making.

Should have just stopped at the bolded.

Should have just stopped at the bolded.

Sure, it's true they should come down. But if you're Barta and feel you have a pretty solid coach, you give her what she's worth in the current market. What coach would stay someplace where they can't get their market value?

Bear in mind, the Iowa AD is self-sufficient. They aren't taking anyone's tax dollars to pay for her salary.

It also something to do with men's coaching salaries. As the salaries for men's coaches continue to rise, so do those of women's coaches, as part of the Equal Pay Act.

Last edited:

That said, I can see Brian becoming the offensive coordinator in two or three years, if Iowa turns things around, and then be in line for it and someone who would make sense.

All of that is dependent on the program turning things around. If that doesn't happen over the next three or four years, I doubt it would happen.

He had to be promised something. With the way Belichick coaches spread throughout the NFL, it makes zero sense that a rising position coach would leave when he's just heating up to take a step backwards in his career for $80 grand UNLESS he was promised something.

He had to be promised something. With the way Belichick coaches spread throughout the NFL, it makes zero sense that a rising position coach would leave when he's just heating up to take a step backwards in his career for $80 grand UNLESS he was promised something.

His salary is not 80 grand. Can you not read?

Is it at all possible that you're underestimating the value coaching with his father holds for Brian? I'm not saying he was or wasn't promised anything, because I have no way of knowing. But that seems like a very plausible reason for taking the job at his current pay grade.

We're still generally dealing with the same administration that made this happen, right?

Latest posts