Iowa Finishing Strong in Recruiting

Today and recruiting in general just seems to bring out numerous flavors of stupid.

Jon, do you still feel this is a "strong" class without Curry and likely without Kozan? With those two, and Thomas, I thought this might be a B+, perhaps even A- class, at least by Iowa standards. Right now this looks like a C+, B- class.

Jon, do you still feel this is a "strong" class without Curry and likely without Kozan? With those two, and Thomas, I thought this might be a B+, perhaps even A- class, at least by Iowa standards. Right now this looks like a C+, B- class.

I would agree with this, and I would say Iowa defiantly didn't finish strong. But the class is still a solid class.

Regardless if we get Kozan or not this is a solid class. Probably a class that is a little surprisingly good given we're coming off 8-5, and 7-6 seasons.

We have probably the highest regarded RB recruit KF has ever signed: Garmon. Along with flipping a potentially good RB in Hill who should be more of a "power back".

Two four star DT's and we needed immediate talent at DT, badly. These two remind me of getting Clayborn and Ballard in the same class.

Our receiver recruiting had some disappointments but we have added speed.

Our DB recruiting was strong and we have at least one four star tackle who should compliment our two four star guards/center from last year.

I would have liked to have gotten another marquee back to go with Garmon but I like that we added Hill who strikes me as a future solid Big Ten player.

We added two QB's that should give us better depth at the position and look to give Riddick some solid competition for the starting job in two years.

We have lot's of pretty typical Iowa recruits to go along with it. "Under-the-radar types" but who in the main have other BCS conference offers. The typical "lunch pail" type hard workers and bright kids that Iowa is famous for.

At WR I would have liked one marquee recruit but I have a good feeling about Cameron Wilson, and think the other WR's have good speed.

I would have liked to have gotten another pure OT type but i think the younger OL's we have on the roster tend to be versatile and I think Schreff wins a starting OT job this year or next.

To me the biggest gets were the DT's and the RB's. We really needed a talent upgrade at DT with losing two young DT's off the roster(along with the graduates) in the last year. Faith and JJ both seem like guys who could contend for All-Conference honors in a couple of years and one or two may end up being major contributors as early as next year. Getting Garmon and Hill with Coker leaving is especially big.

Mo Fleming deserves thanks from every Hawkeye fan. Not only did he commit to Iowa he aggressively recruited for us and the state of Illinois paid off big for us. All in all a solid class with some real "star" power that compliments last year's class and has the usual amount of Iowa "hidden gems".

why do people describe hill as a 'power back'? is it because of his reported 4.6 speed? when i look at his pictures and clips, 'power back' is certainly not the description that comes to mind.....Garmon looks huge in video compared to Hill....

How do you define success rate? Your figure seems really low just glancing at the names.

Think I was off a bit on my total count. Did it a little too quick.

I would have it at 17/31, so it is right around 50%. Not counting last year's class, but I think they have the ability to be close to the 2002 group. Not very confident about this year's group, so it might even out.

2002: Marcus Paschal, David Vickers, Steve Burch, Jovon Johnson, Clinton Solomon and Mike Elgin. 4/7

2003: Richard Kittrell, Brock Ita and Mike Jones. 1/3

2004: Rashard Dunn, Damien Sims and Brandon Myers. 2/3

2005: Julian Smith 0/1

2006: Brett Morse and Jeremiha Hunter 2/1

2007: Mike Daniels, Bruce Davis, Jevon Pugh, Allen Reisner and Cedric Everson. 2/6

2008: Casey McMillan, Willie Lowe, Steve Bigach, Greg Castillo and Jake Reisen. 2/5 and that is a bit generous (hard to count guys that had to start, but never should have started)

2009: Matt Murphy, Dakota Getz, Connor Boffeli, Micah Hyde, Nolan MacMillan and Stephane Ngoumou. 2/6

2010: Tanner Miller and Anthony Hitchens 2/2

2011: Jordan Lomax, Damon Bullock, Johnny Lowdermilk, Marcus Collins, Jordan Canzeri and Darian Cooper. To date, this is the best 'closing' class. Lomax and Canzeri were three-star's and Cooper a four-star.

2012 so far: Alex Kozan, CJ Beathard and Nate Meier. Kozan earns three-stars from Scout but four from ESPN and Rivals. He had offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn, LSU, Oregon and a host of other suitors. Beathard was an Ole Miss verbal until they changed coaching staffs and fills a need for a prep quarterback who can redshirt. Meier is one of the classic late in state offers, a great athlete who set records in the eight-man class. Iowa is at 22 players for this class and I think they have room for a few more.

why do people describe hill as a 'power back'? is it because of his reported 4.6 speed? when i look at his pictures and clips, 'power back' is certainly not the description that comes to mind.....Garmon looks huge in video compared to Hill....
Yeah, the guy looks small to me.

Think I was off a bit on my total count. Did it a little too quick.

I would have it at 17/31, so it is right around 50%. Not counting last year's class, but I think they have the ability to be close to the 2002 group. Not very confident about this year's group, so it might even out.

2002: Marcus Paschal, David Vickers, Steve Burch, Jovon Johnson, Clinton Solomon and Mike Elgin. 4/7

2003: Richard Kittrell, Brock Ita and Mike Jones. 1/3

2004: Rashard Dunn, Damien Sims and Brandon Myers. 2/3

2005: Julian Smith 0/1

2006: Brett Morse and Jeremiha Hunter 2/1

2007: Mike Daniels, Bruce Davis, Jevon Pugh, Allen Reisner and Cedric Everson. 2/6

2008: Casey McMillan, Willie Lowe, Steve Bigach, Greg Castillo and Jake Reisen. 2/5 and that is a bit generous (hard to count guys that had to start, but never should have started)

2009: Matt Murphy, Dakota Getz, Connor Boffeli, Micah Hyde, Nolan MacMillan and Stephane Ngoumou. 2/6

2010: Tanner Miller and Anthony Hitchens 2/2

2011: Jordan Lomax, Damon Bullock, Johnny Lowdermilk, Marcus Collins, Jordan Canzeri and Darian Cooper. To date, this is the best 'closing' class. Lomax and Canzeri were three-star's and Cooper a four-star.

2012 so far: Alex Kozan, CJ Beathard and Nate Meier. Kozan earns three-stars from Scout but four from ESPN and Rivals. He had offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn, LSU, Oregon and a host of other suitors. Beathard was an Ole Miss verbal until they changed coaching staffs and fills a need for a prep quarterback who can redshirt. Meier is one of the classic late in state offers, a great athlete who set records in the eight-man class. Iowa is at 22 players for this class and I think they have room for a few more.

If 50% of every recruiting class panned out as outstanding players, that would be 42.5 players making contributions on the field...somehow. The reality is that most recruits do not make meaningful contributions...at least right away. Too early to include the 10-11-12 classes, IMO. If you look back, I think you will find that most classes, even good ones, will be lucky to have a 50% contribution rate...I may be wrong.

Are you serious? We won't know how good this class will be for 3 to 5 years. Admittedly, it looks pretty good right now, though.

If 50% of every recruiting class panned out as outstanding players, that would be 42.5 players making contributions on the field...somehow. The reality is that most recruits do not make meaningful contributions...at least right away. Too early to include the 10-11-12 classes, IMO. If you look back, I think you will find that most classes, even good ones, will be lucky to have a 50% contribution rate...I may be wrong.

Crap I counted too quickly again. It was 17/35. So I am back under 50%. I don't know if I would throw out the term outstanding for this group. The best guys, Paschal, Johnson, MacMillan, Meyers, etc. are good Hawks, but we are not talking about Bulaga, Reiff, Greene, Greenway, etc.

Yeah, yur right, but Hill is pretty hard to bring down it seems. He has really good balance and runs with purpose. That was my take on his tape.

Swing and a miss. I thought some services had him as a 5. Should of maybe looked that up before making a sarcastic point.

You should use some of those services on your own instead of "thinking" they have him at a 5. I never saw Jake as a 5 star so try again slugger.

3-5 in B1G WOOT WOOT WOOT!!
kap'n squarenutz needs a mult million-dollar extension!!! yeah boiiiii

I would have liked to have gotten another marquee back to go with Garmon but I like that we added Hill who strikes me as a future solid Big Ten player.

What gives you that impression of Hill? Seriously wondering. I would like to hear an honest, objective breakdown from someone who isn't simply elated that Iowa "finally signed an in-state recruit."

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's on board and hope he succeeds, but he has a long way to go. From my standpoint, he's not overly big, nor is he overly fast. He's going to have to put on weight to be successful at the next level, and hopefully that doesn't decrease his speed any more.

To me, his biggest attributes are his vision and the fact that he keeps his feet moving pretty much every time he touches the ball.

He may look fast and he may look tough to take down in his videos, but you have to keep in mind what kind of talent he's playing against.

In my opinion, simply going off of recent Iowa RBs, his ceiling is higher than that of Adam Robinson but not nearly as high as Brandon Wegher basically because of speed and overall athleticism.

You should use some of those services on your own instead of "thinking" they have him at a 5. I never saw Jake as a 5 star so try again slugger.

Not that it matters, but I think you are misunderstanding me. I was saying that I should have looked up the information before incorrectly stating that he was a 5 star. SoI swung and missed, and I should have looked it up before making the sarcastic point.

Latest posts