Iowa Finishing Strong in Recruiting

In regards to recruiting rankings, I buy into the five-stars being the truly elite players, in most cases. I just can't see how you can differentiate between 3 and 4 star players, and maybe even 2-star players.

Look at NFL player rankings. If you asked a panel of experts to rank the NFL players by position, their top 5 choices would probably look similar. Beyond that, the lists are going to have widely divergent rankings.

NFL players are the most watched and they play against the same competition, yet player rankings vary significantly. Based on that, how can you put any credence into ranking Player X from Emmetsburg, IA against Player Y from Houston, TX?

Agree. This is why bb rankings are so much more meaningful. They actually go against each other in the summer,allowing for significant comparisions. Football? Does not lend itself to that kind of evaluation.

As I count it that is right about a 50% success rate on late recruits.

While there are some nice surprises and some years are clearly better than others, the majority of these guys did not have an impact on the field.

So, not sure how that is finishing strong.

Also, with the Kozan noise, I would say this year doesn't look like a particularly strong finish.

Last edited:
As I count it that is well below a 50% success rate on late recruits.

While there are some nice surprises and some years are clearly better than others, the majority of these guys did not have an impact on the field.

Also, with the Kozan noise, I would say this year doesn't look like a particularly strong finish.

How do you define success rate? Your figure seems really low just glancing at the names.

We are well on our way to several consecutive 7-win seasons!! WOOT!!

Once again Iowa gets no 5 star players. Just four star/3 star players that may or may not get a shot. One of the best line prospects is four hours away and Iowa doesn't have a shot. (Diamond).

Iowa needs to accellerate their development program if they are going to keep losing players to the NFL in three years.

As I count it that is well below a 50% success rate on late recruits.

Would agree.

Trading long time targets Lambert, Curry, Thomas, (maybe Kozan) for Kittle and Sealby in not finishing strong. Overall talent, pretty typical Iowa class. I'd give it a C+. Most ranking sources will probably have it near Top 40.......maybe.

I love going to bowl games in late December. Nice way to get out of the house and blow the holidays away from home. YIPPEE!

I know, right? :(
"bowl gamez! ferentz is teh genius!! we're just dumb little ioway!!" :mad:

Once again Iowa gets no 5 star players. Just four star/3 star players that may or may not get a shot. One of the best line prospects is four hours away and Iowa doesn't have a shot. (Diamond).

Iowa needs to accellerate their development program if they are going to keep losing players to the NFL in three years.

5 star recruits guarantee success.

Signed,
Jake Christensen

5 star recruits guarantee success.

Signed,
Jake Christensen

There are a very few amount of 5* players to begin with dude. That said, Garmon is only a few spots out from being a considered a 5 star FWIW.

I still remember how Iowa getting 5 star Blake Larsen was going to change our fortunes on the field....not so much in the end.
Doering also.

More than any position,I think linemen are a crap shoot. They almost always need to transform their bodies,and finally play against guys as big and mean as they are...very few are sure things like Bulaga.

Latest posts