Iowa Eyeing '19 Point Guards Andre Gordon, Noah Hutchins

Both have the athletic talent desperately needed at Iowa, but again, I get the feeling that I'm being distracted with pipe dreams that are intended to distract me from Iowa"s recruiting failures. I don't believe there's any reason to think these guys will end up at Iowa. But then again I didn't think we would get players like Cook and Garza.

It’s hard to know with such a fluid situation. Iowa obviously was keeping in contact with these two, and perhaps others, as backup plans for not getting DJC.

Now, the coaches need to watch them again to see if they’re worthy of an offer. Then, even if they are, do other schools see the same thing and offer? Then Iowa has to compete with those programs.

At that point, FM has to convince one of them to commit despite his son being a PG with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

At that point, FM has to convince one of them to commit despite his son being a PG with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

That is the toughest sell. For any 2019 PG, they see Bohannon will be a senior starter and Fran's son will be the backup. In other words, there aren't many minutes for them their first year. After that 2019-20 season they have to spend the next 2 years competing for playing time with the coach's son.

Who is signing up for that? Fran is probably better off going all in on a 2020 PG recruit. At least he can sell "Bohannon's replacement". Bohannon will have played 30+ minutes all 4 seasons at Iowa.

It’s hard to know with such a fluid situation. Iowa obviously was keeping in contact with these two, and perhaps others, as backup plans for not getting DJC.

Now, the coaches need to watch them again to see if they’re worthy of an offer. Then, even if they are, do other schools see the same thing and offer? Then Iowa has to compete with those programs.

I suppose I’m putting the cart before the horse so some people may not like this, but if Connor is the player I believe he is, I think it is quite possible that he will end up as a net negative for the Iowa basketball program, despite all the excitement surrounding him in his earlier days as a recruit. Quite frankly, his two sons joining the program could end up being Fran’s demise in Iowa City.

I suppose I’m putting the cart before the horse so some people may not like this, but if Connor is the player I believe he is, I think it is quite possible that he will end up as a net negative for the Iowa basketball program, despite all the excitement surrounding him in his earlier days as a recruit. Quite frankly, his two sons joining the program could end up being Fran’s demise in Iowa City.

For Fran the risk is worth it. He knows that this could potentially turn ugly.

To me Connor seems like a smart and talented kid who will make the correct pass and the smart play. Sorta Gesell-like but with more size and a better 3-point shot. However, Connor's not quick and he's not a dribble penetration guy....which is what Iowa has sorely needed for...15 years?

That is the toughest sell. For any 2019 PG, they see Bohannon will be a senior starter and Fran's son will be the backup. In other words, there aren't many minutes for them their first year. After that 2019-20 season they have to spend the next 2 years competing for playing time with the coach's son.

Who is signing up for that? Fran is probably better off going all in on a 2020 PG recruit. At least he can sell "Bohannon's replacement". Bohannon will have played 30+ minutes all 4 seasons at Iowa.
I wonder if your right.. I could see that.. And other coaches using that recruiting tactic against us for sure wouldn't help. I see CM as a combo guard not really a true 'white magic' full time pg that his dad was but as of today we can't say we really know how good he is or what his role will be.... With that being up in the air the narrative can be spun however opposing coaches want it to be...

For Fran the risk is worth it. He knows that this could potentially turn ugly.
Right by then Fran could be winding his career down regardless.... Once Patrick is done (if Fran lasts that long) I don't see Fran being at Iowa beyond that honestly...

Both of these kids are athletic.. For a 5'9 to 5'10ish guy that Hutchins has some serious hops. Dunking with two hands in a game is pretty big time like that. Not sure how their overall floor games are but they are both quick and have dimentions to their game guys like JBo and CM wish they did. Granted their are parts of JBos game I'm sure both of these guys may wish they had hence their lower rankings but I can't say I'd be totally bummed out if we get either one of em. They could both be pretty good fits I think

To me Connor seems like a smart and talented kid who will make the correct pass and the smart play. Sorta Gesell-like but with more size and a better 3-point shot. However, Connor's not quick and he's not a dribble penetration guy....which is what Iowa has sorely needed for...15 years?
I see Connor at best as a quality role player, at worst as a liability. Although we will never be able to say for certain how much or if he has hurt our recruiting it does make you wonder. That is where the thought of a net negative to the Iowa baskabetll program came from.

Don't forget about Jack
If young Jack wants to come to Iowa I don't think his old man will still be there. That'd be a heck of a long time for Fran to have been at Iowa. This is already going to be year 9 right? I can't see Fran being the KF of the hoops program. But with the AD being who he is.....

I see Connor at best as a quality role player, at worst as a liability. Although we will never be able to say for certain how much or if he has hurt our recruiting it does make you wonder. That is where the thought of a net negative to the Iowa baskabetll program came from.

Fran seems to be recruiting a lot of small forwards and off guards if he thinks Connor is going to be in a position other than point guard. Connor should be pretty knowledgeable on what Fran wants out of a point guard. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out, and how good Connor is. If Iowa gives Connor time to adjust to college basketball, he probably will be a lot better in his second month of playing than his first month.

I have no idea if this is correct about Connor or not, as I haven't seen him play enough, and don't know how good he will or can be.

I do agree though that if Iowa struggles this year it is going to get tough in Iowa City especially with his son on the team and another joining. If he can't make the NCAA's this year, it will be a complete and total shit show with fans bitching about him having his two sons on the team for the upcoming year, and not making the tournament. Heck I will be one of them (not because of his sons, but because he can't make the freaking NCAA tournament).

If young Jack wants to come to Iowa I don't think his old man will still be there. That'd be a heck of a long time for Fran to have been at Iowa. This is already going to be year 9 right? I can't see Fran being the KF of the hoops program. But with the AD being who he is.....
Jack is entering seventh grade. If Gary is still here and still writing the checks there is an excellent chance Fran will be here.

Coaching your son is always a sticky situation. Dick Vitale spoke of it's perils decades ago when what he said still carried weight. I've never heard of a Division One program having two playing on the same team multiple years.. Kory and Bryce Alford maybe?

Keno Davis was just good enough as a player to be a student manager. Lil Lick should have been one as well.

Jack is entering seventh grade. If Gary is still here and still writing the checks there is an excellent chance Fran will be here.

Coaching your son is always a sticky situation. Dick Vitale spoke of it's perils decades ago when what he said still carried weight. I've never heard of a Division One program having two playing on the same team multiple years.. Kory and Bryce Alford maybe?

Keno Davis was just good enough as a player to be a student manager. Lil Lick should have been one as well.
Were the Alford boys ever on the court at the same time? They may have overlapped a little with the younger redshirting but I don't think they ever both saw floor at the same time but I could be wrong. I wasn't exactly watchin every UCLA game.
It just depends on the situation. Like with the McDermotts that's an interesting one. What if Dad didn't end up at Creighton and stayed with ISU? What a huge what if in regards to Dougs college career.. He was one hell of a college basketball player and his teammates at Creighton all seemed to get along great with him and his Dad they had some good runs.

Take them both! If they are good, they will play. Fran overstocked on bigs, we are in short supply of guards. Plus it is a guards game. If we want to win, we need more guards. Period.

Fran messed up the roster balance big-time. We are two years out for correcting the balance. Could the current roster with the addition of Joe & CJ help that out? Maybe. Depends on if they are as good as advertised, and if our current guards improve and become more consistent. That is a big IF

I would be happy if we only took one top front court player every year, if someone good is available. The rest guards and wings. If Fran swings and misses, they can go to Drake.

Hawkeyes to scout duo, others after missing on in-state target D.J. Carton:

LINK

Latest posts