Iowa Eyeing '19 Point Guards Andre Gordon, Noah Hutchins

Because he's done so well with those two areas so far?

You joke, but I'd take Bohannon over a heck of a lot of other PGs. Gesell and Clemmons were both solid. Marble, if you're willing to consider him a combo guard. Connor has yet to be seen, but attrition at guard was brutal last year. As for defense, here is team defensive efficiency:

2019 - 54? <-insert Connor and Wieskamp here (ranking jump of 254 spots from 2012 to 2013)
2018 - 308 <-Lose top 2 backup point guards, Baer hand injury out for 1 month, no upperclassmen
2017 - 200 <-All freshman team
2016 - 76
2015 - 40
2014 - 60
2013 - 33 <-insert Woodbury and Gessel here
2012 - 287
2011 - 151

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying there's precedent for major improvements in team defense year over year. We like to poke fun at it on the forums, but for a guy who prides himself on being a fast paced offensive coach, he has the stats to back up being a good defensive coach too.

I has a long history of not having a player or two who can break the other team down defensively...

This leads to years of average results, or worse...this can be overcome with players who love to play tough ball: block out, rebound, help out, love to play DEFENSE...

Now...Iowa is soft and slow...a big White Marsh-mellow of a team...

You joke, but I'd take Bohannon over a heck of a lot of other PGs. Gesell and Clemmons were both solid. Marble, if you're willing to consider him a combo guard. Connor has yet to be seen, but attrition at guard was brutal last year. As for defense, here is team defensive efficiency:

2019 - 54? <-insert Connor and Wieskamp here (ranking jump of 254 spots from 2012 to 2013)
2018 - 308 <-Lose top 2 backup point guards, Baer hand injury out for 1 month, no upperclassmen
2017 - 200 <-All freshman team
2016 - 76
2015 - 40
2014 - 60
2013 - 33 <-insert Woodbury and Gessel here
2012 - 287
2011 - 151

I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying there's precedent for major improvements in team defense year over year. We like to poke fun at it on the forums, but for a guy who prides himself on being a fast paced offensive coach, he has the stats to back up being a good defensive coach too.

From what you posted there, it looks like the precedent is that he has good defenses with Woody and Gessel and bad defenses without them.

I has a long history of not having a player or two who can break the other team down defensively...

This leads to years of average results, or worse...this can be overcome with players who love to play tough ball: block out, rebound, help out, love to play DEFENSE...

Now...Iowa is soft and slow...a big White Marsh-mellow of a team...

Your inclusion of the word "White", is that because marshmallows are white or because.....ah never mind?

From what you posted there, it looks like the precedent is that he has good defenses with Woody and Gessel and bad defenses without them.

I don't think two 4* freshman alone brought us that far. But if we're arguing that side of things, this year we also have two 4* freshman coming in Wieskamp and McCaffery (depending upon which recruiting services). My point was that big improvements can happen in one off-season.

Latest posts