Iowa Eyeing '19 Point Guards Andre Gordon, Noah Hutchins

We are closer to a better roster because we lost 2 posts and added 2 more wings. I feel better about our guard situation this year over last year. Yet I still think we are 1 guard short, which you are right certainly isn't as big of a deal as how bad our roster was last year. I am concerned though because I just don't know how GOOD some of the guards will be. I mean I don't expect CJ to play at all, and I don't know if Connor will be an adequate backup PG. So if those two don't cut it, we are essentially at 4 guards for 3 spots.

This is why it is a bigger deal than what you are thinking it is to be one player away. An injury, a guy not having a good year, and all of a sudden you are not just 1 short, you are 2 or 3 short now, as we saw last year. I mean some cut Fran slack because you know Williams left and Connor was injured. Well it was Fran who decided not to bring in guards and be stacked full of bigs, so yeah that is his fault, I don't cut him any slack for making his own bed last year.

If you want to talk about our roster not being good enough, I'm right there with you. I originally responded to a guy saying we had an unbalanced roster this year tho. And for the record, if we have an injury and an underperformer in the post, we are going to be considered really thin there too.

If you want to talk about our roster not being good enough, I'm right there with you. I originally responded to a guy saying we had an unbalanced roster this year tho. And for the record, if we have an injury and an underperformer in the post, we are going to be considered really thin there too.

If a starter Big has an injury, sure we will be thin. Last year we lost a backup and a true Fr. who was gonna RS. If we lost Kriener and Nunge or Kriener and Pemsl, or Kriener and Baer it simply won't affect us like losing 2 backup guards did last year. Why? Well because like I keep trying to tell you we are thin at guard. We will be in nearly the same trouble this year if Connor goes down again, and we lose Dailey as well for instance.

I thought before last year Baer could be a 3. After last year I think he is a stretch 4 stuck in a 3’s build. Just my opinion, and I certainly don’t HATE Baer at the 3 like I do Nunge playing there. My problem with Nunge is he doesn’t have the foot speed and never will have the foot speed of a wing. He will never be able to defend an opposing wing out on the perimeter. Sure he can hit some 3’s and has decent handles, but that doesn’t mean you are a 3.

I think Baer can be a 3, but only for the second unit. He was much better at coming off the bench and being that spark with his hustle and all-around play. He wasn't a really good rebounder, a really good scorer, a really good passer or a really good defender, but he was good enough at all of them and gave 100% at all times (and got gassed in the process). It made the second unit appear better. However, his skill level didn't translate to a starter.

If a starter Big has an injury, sure we will be thin. Last year we lost a backup and a true Fr. who was gonna RS. If we lost Kriener and Nunge or Kriener and Pemsl, or Kriener and Baer it simply won't affect us like losing 2 backup guards did last year. Why? Well because like I keep trying to tell you we are thin at guard. We will be in nearly the same trouble this year if Connor goes down again, and we lose Dailey as well for instance.

You keep bringing up last year but I never said anything about last year. We have 2 more guards than we had last year. I do agree we will be in a tad more trouble losing 2 guards than we would losing 2 posts, but not enough to say we have a shortage of guards in my opinion.

And the more I think about it, the more the arguement about whether or not Baer is a 3 or not falls into the "we need better players" arguement. Baer isn't "better suited" to play the 4 (like Nunge is). He just has weaknesses at the 3. But he has just as many, if not more, weaknesses at the 4. He could play every single minute at the 3 and be just as helpful as if he played every single minute at the 4. That makes him a 3 on this particular team.

You keep bringing up last year but I never said anything about last year. We have 2 more guards than we had last year. I do agree we will be in a tad more trouble losing 2 guards than we would losing 2 posts, but not enough to say we have a shortage of guards in my opinion.

So we just have a difference of opinion here. I think Iowa needs 1 more guard to have the proper depth and roster construction. I feel this way because you can get by in college BB playing 1 Big at a time, that is what the 2 national title teams did this year for the majority of the time.

Take them both! If they are good, they will play. Fran overstocked on bigs, we are in short supply of guards. Plus it is a guards game. If we want to win, we need more guards. Period.

Fran messed up the roster balance big-time. We are two years out for correcting the balance. Could the current roster with the addition of Joe & CJ help that out? Maybe. Depends on if they are as good as advertised, and if our current guards improve and become more consistent. That is a big IF

I would be happy if we only took one top front court player every year, if someone good is available. The rest guards and wings. If Fran swings and misses, they can go to Drake.

This is the post I originally quoted. It reads like we need way more guards. That was the case last year. This year at best we could use one more to be perfect. That was all I was saying.

This is the post I originally quoted. It reads like we need way more guards. That was the case last year. This year at best we could use one more to be perfect. That was all I was saying.

You wonder if, one of these guys commits, Fran could convince him to red shirt. That way, by the time they'd see the floor, J Bo would be gone and Connor would be a junior, thus greasing the skids for them to be the starting pg for two seasons.

OT, every time I read this thread title I see
IOWA EYEING POKING '19 POINT GUARDS
WhiteNeatEmu.gif

adam-woodbury-of-iowa-poking-wisconsin-players-in-the-eye.gif

You wonder if, one of these guys commits, Fran could convince him to red shirt. That way, by the time they'd see the floor, J Bo would be gone and Connor would be a junior, thus greasing the skids for them to be the starting pg for two seasons.

Maybe but Bohannon will be a senior next year. Wouldn't we want Connors backup to have some experience prior to playing major minutes. Plus if we are going to redshirt someone in 19 why not just bank the school and shoot for a better 2020 recruit that could contribute right away. I know that makes the classes a little unbalanced tho. But if you are one of these kids you gotta know that you might be recruited over the next year. Personally I'd be especially reluctant as one of these kids to be ok with redshirting if I know they are probably looking at 2020 PGs too.

Hawks should offer Fernandes or go in hard for McKinney/Liddell package.
May need Cuonzo cash to make the latter happen.?

He was in Lawrence at the Hardwood Classic on Friday. Not sure who he was there to see. There were several EYBL teams in attendance.

And the more I think about it, the more the arguement about whether or not Baer is a 3 or not falls into the "we need better players" arguement. Baer isn't "better suited" to play the 4 (like Nunge is). He just has weaknesses at the 3. But he has just as many, if not more, weaknesses at the 4. He could play every single minute at the 3 and be just as helpful as if he played every single minute at the 4. That makes him a 3 on this particular team.
I tend to disagree, but again I’m a proponent of playing small.

At the 3:
Size/Strength: Average
Athleticism: Average/below average
Ball handling/passing: Average/below average
3 pt shooting: Average/below average
Rebounding: Above Average

At the 4:
Size/Strength: Below average
Athleticism: Average/above average
Ball handling/passing: Average/above average
3 pt shooting: Average/above average
Rebounding: Average

“Hey Andre let me show you what I learned watching the an Iowa basket game last season.” LMAO!!!