Iowa Done Recruiting Florida????

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa Hawkeyes Recruiting Coordinator Eric Johnson and former Iowa Defensive Coordinator Norm Parker paid a visit to Des Moines on Tuesday night for the Polk County I-Club's annual Recruiting gathering.

Johnson led things off with some comments related to how a handful of recruits asked about the status of Iowa's indoor practice facility, as a factor in their recruitment. Iowa is about a year away from their new football complex being totally completed and the new indoor practice facility was completed last August.

Fans in attendance were able to ask Johnson some recruiting questions and one fan in attendance asked why Iowa didn't sign anyone from Florida in this class, which I believe is the first time that has happened during the Ferentz era.

Johnson said that as a staff, the Iowa coaches would rather spend the time and resources recruiting players who live in a closer proximity to the Iowa campus, most of them being no more than six to eight hours away from their homes. That means less emphasis on Florida.

On the surface, that might make some people question the logic given that a lot of good football players come from Florida. It certainly blew up my twitter timeline when I tweeted it on Tuesday night and even the BTN's Gerry Dinardo chimed in.

Here are the number of players Iowa signed from Florida in recent classes followed by the number of players who are either still in the program or stayed at Iowa for their entire careers:

2012: 2/2 (Greg Mabin, Daumantas Venckus both still at Iowa)
2011: 2/2 (Jake Rudock, Torrey Campbell both still at Iowa)
2010: 1/0 (De'Andre Johnson transfer)
2009: 1/0 (Josh Brown transfer)
2008: 3/1 (Jeff Brinson transfer, David Blackwell grades, Jack Swanson grad in four years no two deep impact)
2007: 1/0 (Jevon Pugh transfer)
2006: 2/2* (*Lance Tillison left, then came back and finished, Troy Johnson neither two-deep impact)
2005: 2/0 (Vernon Jackson transfer, Calvin Bailey grades)
2004: 1/1 (Damien Sims was a 'hit')
2003: 0/1 (Chris Brevi transfer)
2002: 3/2 (Marcus Paschal, Ed Miles, Larry Thomas transfer)

Looking over that list, one might suggest that Iowa hasn't really actively targeting Florida for a decade now, or at least there in lies quite a bit of evidence as to whatever their modus operandi has been down there has been broken. Rick Kaczenski recruited Florida for Iowa from 2007-2011. Before him I believe Phil Parker spent some time in the Sunshine State, though I think it was a joint effort.

The truth of the matter is that the Florida talent that Iowa landed in the early days of the Ferentz era (Colin Cole, Fred Barr, Antwan Allen, Mo Brown, CJ Jones, Brad Banks, Abdul Hodge etc) had a huge helping hand from Bret Bielema, Iowa's best recruiter and the assistant coach in charge of Florida. While Bielema and Iowa struck out on a lot of the players they signed from Florida, the hits were pretty darned good.

There are a great many great players who play in the Sunshine State each year. For whatever the reasons, Iowa has chosen a different recruiting strategy since their early years and Johnson's statement on Tuesday night about Iowa not focusing as much on Florida isn't actually a surprise at all, as you can tell.

Is Florida THE answer? Not necessarily. The starting lineup for Iowa's 2010 Orange Bowl champs didn't include a Florida native and did include five Iowans. Conversely, the starting lineup for the 2002 Big Ten Champs included at least seven Florida natives. If not Florida, then you have to mine another talent rich state and Iowa has been shifting their attention to Ohio, which is roughly eight hours away from Iowa City.

Why has Florida been a problem for Iowa? One I think is personnel; those who have gone there to recruit haven't done the job that Bielema did . That said, Iowa had plenty of misses during that time; you just don't remember them. The 'margin for error' is more slim when you bring a kid from Florida up to Iowa, or Illinois, or Minnesota or any cold weather state. It;s a big, big difference from a weather standpoint as well as culturally. I've spent a great deal of time in Florida as I have family in the St. Petersburg area. These are different worlds. They are not alien worlds and both offer good things. However, when homesickness creeps in and the wind chill is below zero? That can be a tough thing to overcome.

Other notes from Tuesday:

-Johnson said that Derrick Willies might be the best receiver they have ever had in one of their summer camps
-Norm Parker said he feels this year's defense will be better at each position grouping than they were one year ago

FLORIDA FOCUS

After sleeping on this item, I took a look at what other Big Ten schools have been doing in the state of Florida the past four years. I did not go into each school's roster to see which kids from Florida were still there, what type of impact they have had, etc. *I used the Scout.com recruiting database and looked at the commitments lists for each program for the past four years. *Here are the raw numbers:

Screen-Shot-2013-02-20-at-9.35.35-AM.png

A few things to note. Illinois had a lot of Floria flavor 2010-2012 likely due to Ron Zook's Sunshine State connections. Tim Beckman did sign three from Florida this year, however and he was the head coach on signing day last year when they signed five. Illinois has struggled the better part of the last decade (or three of them).

Purdue has been on a Florida binge the last four years, especially in 2010 when they signed nine Florida preps. However the Boilermakers are struggling to be relevant on the field. Minnesota has landed 14 Florida natives, third most in the league and they did make it to a bowl game this year and were more competitive.

Wisconsin checks in at #4 over the past four years as Bret Bielema kept mining Florida talent. Indiana went heavy this year as did Nebraska. You can't read too much into Nebraska's numbers in the past as they have focused more on Texas as a member of the Big 12. you see Iowa's numbers and they join Michigan as the only two Big Ten schools to not sign a Florida prep in 2013. Penn State signed their first Florida prep this year since at least 2001. I went back through the Scout.com database and it stops at 2002, so who knows who long it had been since Penn State signed a Florida player.

Michigan hasn't signed any these past two years as Brady Hoke has focused elsewhere. It is interesting to note that the Wolverines have signed 8, 8, 7 and 11 players from the state of Ohio over the course of the last four recruiting classes. That is a total of 34 signees out of 98 total signees over that four year period, or 35 percent.

On its face, this data doesn't tell a complete story. It doesn't speak to attrition trends, which Iowa certainly has dealt with when recruiting the state of Florida. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State don't have to recruit Florida to be great, or at least they have not had to do that in the past because their home states and/or historic recruiting regions have a load of talent close to home. It's interesting to see four of the top five programs on this list (excluding Wisconsin) have been four of the worst performers in the league over the last decade.

Last edited:
Florida is where most of the message board legends come from...who will step up to fill those shoes?

Why spend the gas money. Its not worth trying so hard. Its like recruiting 5* players, leave that for Minnesota and Illinois. Iowa doesnt have time for that.

Rather than give up on Florida because the current coaches can't recruit it very well, why don't we get someone who can recruit down there? Or does that make too much sense?

This is ultimately a complicated topic, but I don't mind this philosophy. The data Jon presented is real. Is it worth the effort?

I currently play D3 football and this topic strikes a chord with me. My football class came in with about 27 guys two years ago. Many have since quit, as is common at my school. Of the original 27, 5 were Arizonans, my old coach recruited heavily there.

Those five were all very good D3 players, yet only one remains in school two years later as Juniors.

I go to school in Minnesota, and it's a long way from AZ, albeit one direct flight. Also, the winter up here in the northland is brutal, currently 0 degrees Fahrenheit as I type this. Boys from Arizona, or Florida for that matter, don't like that temperature. And this plays a factor in my experience!

Now, if you want to be the best, you have to have the best players. IMO that's a universal truth. Carrying that forward... you should recruit the places with the best players.

But IMO, Iowa should get the best players in the state every year. The Hawks should sign 5 Iowans per year (roughly, but maybe more). They should take advantage of a mediocre Minnesota program that doesn't recruit that well, and hit the twin cities. They should be capitalizing on a bad Illinois program and raid Chicago, as everyone else does. I'm not saying they should avoid players south of the mason dixon line, but if we're not having any success in Florida, don't recruit Florida.

I think the biggest reason Iowa chooses not to recruit hard in Florida (and California) is that the recruiting cycle has gotten to a point where unofficial visits are the biggest factor in recruiting. It seems that every year players are committing earlier and earlier, so by the time September and official visit time comes around, a lot of guys are already off the board. It is incredibly difficult to get out-of-region high school kids to take unofficial visits to Iowa City in the spring and summer, so the coaching staff focuses on recruiting players from states that are more logistically compatible. If/when the NCAA ever decides to allow official visits in the spring of a player's junior year, I think the Hawkeye coaches will increase their emphasis on Florida and California.

So we think we are Butler of big ten football I guess. We have major talent deficiencies on both sides of the ball mainly due to lack of speed, yet we are going to focus on recruiting in a 6-8 hour radius of Iowa City. Grades and knuckleheads aside, I am convinced many FL kids come here expecting to play based on talent, yet find KF has "other" criteria for PT and, unlike every other coach in America, can only play one QB, RB, etc., until they are carried off the field on a stretcher. Lazy recruiting and an egomaniacal coach has put us in the position we are in, not a dozen kids from FL who have washed out. Talk about waving the white flag for Iowa football. Back to my apathy until KF is gone.

It seems like we were pulling 1 or 2 guys a year from Florida as it is, and most of those not named Ruddock were less recruited kids lower * kids anyway. I guess after a certain amount of time you have to ask yourself will be you better served by recruiting a different area and getting a better player?

I think they are more heavily recruit Texas now that Davis is there. If we pick up a kid or two more from Texas a year, rather than Florida, I don't really see what the problem is.

Just another stupid move by the coaching staff, yeah lets give up recruiting where some of the best recruits are.....ugg can we just get another coaching staff in place already.

This doesn't bother me that much. As was said, I would rather focus on the Twin Cities and the Kansas City market. Adding Texas to that mix now that Davis and Kennedy are on staff, along with Ohio, and I think that is a great focal area for our out of state recruiting.

Florida hasn't been that kind to us for a while anyway. My real question is how much success we will have recruiting out east now that O'Keefe and Wilson are gone. That area has been pretty solid for us in the past. Much more than Florida I believe if you look at the entire Ferentz tenure.

It bothers me for a simple reason...

We've had success in the past. If you had it because of Biels, than find out what made him successful and emulate it.

Moreover, I think that Iowa Football should be a national brand. Obviously, competing against three state schools and a region makes things harder than recruiting say Missouri. But kids should respect Iowa Football enough to be excited when they get a piece of mail from them, or a coach comes to visit.

But here are two irrefutable facts.

1) We have a large talent deficit and have had one for the past two seasons.
2) We have a coaching staff that is largely telling us, "it's not worth talking to these guys, let's go find players who are thrilled to even be offered and will go work hard."

First of all, for every two star that becomes a starter, two more are giant question marks on Senior Day if they make it there at all. Secondly, most of these guys become good solid players because they somehow manage to become starters as freshmen, and take their lumps for two years.

Lastly and most importantly - it absolutely crushes our depth. Because when the two star guy who has become a solid starter gets hurt, you have to replace him with one of the giant question marks.

I don't believe that KF and his staff are lazy, but again I don't think they get it, I don't think they are willing or want to play the game.

Any thoughts I had that Ferentz might turn things around ended right here. What a great decision to just abandon any chance of recruiting from the most talent rich state in the country. And how many recruits did Davis bring in from Texas this year?

Its like saying an oil company that is registered in Delaware would rather look for oil in the local area than spend the money to look in Alaska.

The 3 most talent rich states year in and year out are Florida, Texas and California. While I think it is a little disappointing that the coaching staff is giving up on Florida, at least there is a renewed emphasis on Texas. With Bobby Kennedy now on board, I wonder if he takes over Texas full time and maybe Levar fills in Erb's spot in Chicago.

Yeah, why bother recruiting Florida when we can recruit players who live within a few hours of Iowa City... Did Todd Lickliter become our recruiting coordinator? Good grief.

Guess we shouldn't expect many, if any, 4-5* recruits going forward, then.

:mad:

What I dont understand about a 5* is, if they are really that good, the chances of going pro are decent. So what happens if the Bears come calling? Guess what if you are a baller and balling becomes your life, you are going to have to play in the cold and you may have to live there. Get used to it ya frigging babies.

That said I understand why Iowa is doing this.

I'm not sure why all the hand wringing on this one. We pull 1 or 2 kids from Florida a year. If we just pull an extra Texas kid or two, what difference does it make? Why spread yourself so thin trying to recruit Florida, when you can just make a strong push into the Texas area?

What I dont understand about a 5* is, if they are really that good, the chances of going pro are decent. So what happens if the Bears come calling? Guess what if you are a baller and balling becomes your life, you are going to have to play in the cold and you may have to live there. Get used to it ya frigging babies.

That said I understand why Iowa is doing this.

Except they are going to become millionaires playing for the Bears or any other cold weather team.

Would you rather stand in the cold for 3 million dollars or for nothing?

Latest posts