Iowa develops talent, right?

Sparky

Graph showing Iowa's predicted finishing position based on their recruiting class from 2005-2014.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/after-signing-day-wisconsin-makes-the-best-of-its-recruits/

pettigrew-datalab-signing-day-2.png

I think they still develop players, they just aren't getting the 2001-2005 results on the field due to poor game day coaching and a lack of adapting their schemes. The 2008-2010 run should have produced 5 more wins in those 3 years alone, and that isn't counting all the losses as double digit favorites that KF has blown in the remaining 7 years of that span

Iowa does a good job of turning 2 star and 3 star recruits into NFL players, much better than your average program.

But Iowa does not do a good job of turning all that NFL level talent into wins on the field, as your graph clearly indicates.

I think they still develop players, they just aren't getting the 2001-2005 results on the field due to poor game day coaching and a lack of adapting their schemes. The 2008-2010 run should have produced 5 more wins in those 3 years alone, and that isn't counting all the losses as double digit favorites that KF has blown in the remaining 7 years of that span

Iowa plays to the level of there competition due to the conservative approach. There is less margin for error which is why Iowa loses games they shouldn't when the ball doesn't bounce their way. Doyle isn't the same as he used to either. Rhabdo might have had a big impact on that.

Iowa sucks because their recruiting sucks. Stats don't lie.

Incorrect. Show me a graph comparing NFL draft picks or all-conference selections relative to recruiting rankings. I’ll bet you we’re at the top. We suck because of in-game coaching, schemes, etc. There’s a reason CFB Matrix factors in negative points for IA’s coaching when picking spreads.

Iowa sucks because their recruiting sucks. Stats don't lie.

It really depends on how you look at those stats, because they are very odd indeed for Iowa. They don't bring in high ranked classes, and they win at about the rate the classes says they should (just slightly above what we should actually).......

BUT, Iowa puts a disproportionate amount of players in the NFL for their recruiting rankings. That tells me that they are developing the talent they do get at an excellent rate, but the disconnect is why isn't Iowa winning more, with NFL players on the team???? My contention is poor in game coaching, and terrible schemes.

So tired of hearing how many players we send to the NFL. Who gives a sh&&? I want to see those players produce at Iowa and give us 8, 9, 10-win seasons ... Since 2010 we are 34-30 ... And our last 3 recruiting classes are ranked in the 50 or so range ... Holy cow ... anywhere else and Kirk would be gone by now ... And anywhere else Barta would have been gone, too ... They will be both be gone after next season ... No way this farce continues on ...

Iowa can develop players the problem still is in their recruiting. They can develop the 2-3 star guy into an NFL prospect on a pretty steady rate. The real problem exists when they cannot develop the majority of their players that are two star or three star players to very good players all at the same time. This is why their success has seen its ebbs and flows. Sure we have had some very talented players in some positions but the rest of the team cannot make up for the talent gap year after year of most of their competition.

You take this and factor in some of the poor coaching decisions and lack of agressiveness it leads to where the program is now. I think Iowa could get by with the talent they have and get 8-9 wins every year but that is if the coaching philosophies change. Whether to be playing down to the competition or just playing to keep the score close it has become a very dangerous trend that has costed us quite a few games the last few years.

Incorrect. Show me a graph comparing NFL draft picks or all-conference selections relative to recruiting rankings. I’ll bet you we’re at the top. We suck because of in-game coaching, schemes, etc. There’s a reason CFB Matrix factors in negative points for IA’s coaching when picking spreads.

Show me the graph where NFL draft picks win college football games first.

Iowa has sent a lot of guys to the NFL because of Ferentz's name in the league. You can't deny that outside of our fan base and a few others that he's a very highly respected coach. That helps these guys move on.

And, just because there's 1-2 diamonds in the rough that get drafted doesn't mean the other 82-83 players on the roster are worth a damn. If our recruting class sucks we're gonna suck.

Iowa has sent a lot of guys to the NFL because of Ferentz's name in the league. You can't deny that outside of our fan base and a few others that he's a very highly respected coach. That helps these guys move on.

And, just because there's 1-2 diamonds in the rough that get drafted doesn't mean the other 82-83 players on the roster are worth a damn. If our recruting class sucks we're gonna suck.

Then why post a graph that shows most teams either outperform, or underperform their recruiting rankings, if your contention is you perform at your recruiting rankings???

Iowa has sent a lot of guys to the NFL because of Ferentz's name in the league.

Right, NFL GMs give contracts in the most competitive league on the planet not because those players are good, but because Ferentz.

[facepalm]

If your goal is to promote a stereotype of Iowans as inbred hillbillies with meth habits... it's working*

bucky-larson-sm.png

*this stereotype is correct for Arkansas residents, however.

Last edited:
Nearly half of the Hawkeyes actually drafted by the NFL from Iowa during the Ferentz era are TE's or linemen........a good job. These are positions where development has excelled historically and where position changes have been successful.

Doesn't look so good when you start looking at the skill positions on offense .........2 WR's, 1 QB, and 1 RB. That's it unless you want to count a couple more players that were drafted during Ferentz's time but were actually recruited by Fry. These weak numbers include Stanzi and McNutt who haven't exactly done much but warm a bench in the NFL.

Need to peel back the onion a bit here I think in order to get the big picture.

Iowa performs a little better than their recruiting classes.

Problem is Iowa wants to develop NFL talent above anything else. Will burn through players to find that NFL talent. Players Iowa really doesn't have because of poor recruiting classes, players quitting the program, or being injured.

Maybe Iowa could sign a contract to become the developmental program for some pro or highly visible college team.

Last edited:
Until this year, I thought Iowa had the talent to challenge for Big10 Championships, being in a weaker West division. Getting through OSU would be tough, but it's just one game....but realistically we would lose to them 8/10 times

I am disappointed with how Iowa recruits, but it's even more maddening to watch the staff plug these guys into outdated schemes expecting 2002 results. I do think KF biggest issue is X&O's. We have seen some talent on the team, and we could have pulled out a few more wins with adjustments (something Iowa used to be known for).

Now we seem to regress as the game goes on, and it's because we play not to lose.

This graph should illustrate that. We are pulling in roughly the same type of class each year under KF, yet our results stay average, or even worse. Change the scheme to allow more freedom on both sides of the ball, which may get better recruits....and maybe better results.

IMO it clearly shows Iowa has a X's and O's problem.

When KF took over at Iowa in 1999 they had just 15 players in the NFL, as of 2014 Iowa has 35 players in the NFL. Iowa's high point was during the 2011 and 2012 NFL a seasons were Iowa had 49 and 45 players in NFL. That number has gradually been declining.

Here is a nice link http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2014/

A lot of the teams above us on this chart are below us on the chart for developing talent.

Right, NFL GMs give contracts in the most competitive league on the planet not because those players are good, but because Ferentz.

[facepalm]

If your goal is to promote a stereotype of Iowans as inbred hillbillies with meth habits... it's working*

bucky-larson-sm.png

*this stereotype is correct for Arkansas residents, however.

Listen, dilldo, I know that you're dumber than dog****, but it's fairly common knowledge that Ferentz is held in very high regards in the NFL. If you don't know that you're even dumber than I thought.

Listen, dilldo, I know that you're dumber than dog****, but it's fairly common knowledge that Ferentz is held in very high regards in the NFL. If you don't know that you're even dumber than I thought.

Absolutely, he's held in high regard. Which might get a player a tryout, but not a contract or meaningful career.

tumblr_mbzxt23X8c1r3zat8.jpg

Latest posts