Iowa Basketball stuck in Meh

I think the biggest issue with the fans getting to the games is the start times as opposed to the level of excitement or fans being tired of Fran. My kids are dying to get to a game this year, just hard to do when it's an 1.5 hour drive and so many games are starting at 8:00 and we've got sports almost every night of the week making it even harder. Attendance always seems to be minimized this time of year as were not quite known to play a murders row of non-conference opponents. It'll pickup after Christmas.

The start times is a great point. Plus, I wonder if the state of the economy is affecting people attending. I wonder if they are cutting expenses that need to go to necessities. Not making this political but just a point that people may have shifted their spending. Also, families surely do have other commitments as far as activities at night. I know they play a heck of a lot more sports, games, practices, lessons than we ever did back in the 70's and 80's. There is usually something every night, even lessons for off season sports such as baseball.

I think the biggest issue with the fans getting to the games is the start times as opposed to the level of excitement or fans being tired of Fran. My kids are dying to get to a game this year, just hard to do when it's an 1.5 hour drive and so many games are starting at 8:00 and we've got sports almost every night of the week making it even harder. Attendance always seems to be minimized this time of year as were not quite known to play a murders row of non-conference opponents. It'll pickup after Christmas.

The bold isn't true, or hasn't been the last couple of years. Have you looked at the non-conf this year. It's pretty stout and Iowa has like a 5 game run of legit D1 teams heading into conference play. 5 in a row.

Last edited:
Sorry to offend I do watch basketball It is hard to see Iowa playing before a crowd of 6000 in a major college game. Nothing I would like more than to see Iowa make a run in the Tournament. Hasn't happened in a long time

This isn't isolated to just Iowa. It's happening ALL OVER. When I tune in, I don't expect a full arena anymore, to be honest. The landscape is just changing.

My point is, is that I think you would see the same atmosphere with most all other coaches if coaching at Iowa.

I think this team can make the tournament (probably will), but I also see another incomplete team that is lacking a dominant big man or two. Guard play may be on the upswing...I want to see more there.

At present, I can't see this team making it out of the first weekend yet again. But, the good news is the season is still very young and they have more room to grow.

Questions to be answered?
-Can they knock off a big boy or two in the remaining pre-season games?
-Can they avoid Franuary like situations in conference play?
-Can they stay healthy?
-Can the stars of the team show up when they are needed?

I agree the start times suck and only add to the haunted house feeling of Carver Tomb Arena.

I do think Iowa Sports in General are at a cross-roads overall.....see game thread post.

Can they play physical or will they be soft. That was exposed against TCU, IMO.

OP said he doesn’t think the team is going to make the tourney. Which would mean they suck.

He wasn't saying that at all and he clarified it in follow up posts. Iowa has not made a RUN in the tournament in a long time.

Quote from an Iowa bb coach at Tailgaters, post game last night. “Tough for people to make it to a game at 8:00 on a weeknight.” Yeah, it’s that simple.

I truly hope you are right but I don't feel this excitement surrounding the basketball program as there was in years past. I hate saying this but it almost feels like there is more excitement for the women's game right now, which is really bizarre. Even with the late start on a Tuesday night there should have been more than 6000 people showing up for a matchup against an ACC opponent.

Old Field House. Brain cell damage severe. I think there are lots of season ticks no shows. Just around me NN, row 25, seat 13, which is a really good seat and around lots of season ticks, multiple absences. When the BT starts up, that will change for the better. And, as stated above, week night games suck for attendance.
I think Iowa BBall should benefit from 'Brian cell damage' more than anything, dont you think?

Old Field House. Brain cell damage severe. I think there are lots of season ticks no shows. Just around me NN, row 25, seat 13, which is a really good seat and around lots of season ticks, multiple absences. When the BT starts up, that will change for the better. And, as stated above, week night games suck for attendance.
I would think it would be really challenging for folks to make weeknight games unless they live within an hour, no? Iowa City alone likely can't support an ongoing 15,500 attendance against non-conference teams, I would think. Perhaps I'm wrong but it's also a different era. Everyone has a lovely, big, TV and you can get hawkeye games all over the country. I live in Los Angeles now and watch the hawks against teams that in the past wouldn't even be televised. I would think TV makes a difference here as well.

I was shocked to see all the no-shows for an ACC team of quality. Ya, it's a Tuesday at 8 pm, but if your not going to watch this game why buy the tickets. Put them on craigslist or stub hub but at a price that will sell. Hell, give them away.
I've had the same three seats for wrestling for a long time. They're really, really good seats.

The two directly to my right have never in the years I've sat there or owned them had anyone show up. Even last year's PSU dual which was the most hyped up college dual ever, and the most watched TV college dual in history, and no one sat there. My son and even I joked about it; we looked the entire arena over for other empty seats but didn't see any. There were people standing around the top concourse 4 deep that whole dual, but those two seats next to us were empty. It's fucking weird. I'm starting to think it's Illuminati or something.

I ask about it every year and try to buy them but they're never available. Obviously the ticket office won't tell me who has them, but they just tell me those two seats are owned by a season ticket holder. It's really starting to piss me off because I want to buy them. Most likely it's either some 90 year old Ma and Pa Kettle living in Florida who just keep renewing them for the past 40 years and have no idea what StubHub is, or they're 3rd generation season tickets that some long-expatriated rich people living in California or Virginia or wherever just keep renewing because grandma and grandpa had 'em back in the day and they were told to keep them in the family.

Anywhoo...season ticket holders can be weird. You and I would think "wasted money" because we're rational, but if there's one thing you learn by being a season ticketholder at a major sports event, it's that rich people do really weird shit because they can.

The start times is a great point. Plus, I wonder if the state of the economy is affecting people attending. I wonder if they are cutting expenses that need to go to necessities. Not making this political but just a point that people may have shifted their spending. Also, families surely do have other commitments as far as activities at night. I know they play a heck of a lot more sports, games, practices, lessons than we ever did back in the 70's and 80's. There is usually something every night, even lessons for off season sports such as baseball.
Yes...

Iowa Basketball is in the best position it's been in for almost 20 years. Meh? Hardly.

IMO, I think... FINALLY. 4 straight years of high quality basketball. This is where I've wanted to be for so long. The program is as healthy as it's ever been. Regularly going to the NCAA. Producing pro players. Guys going to the NBA draft. The guys in Fran's program also all seem to be high character humans. The only way to advance in March is to continue to give itself chances. Iowa is doing that. It's recruiting at a high level despite the fact that Iowa doesn't seem to be willing to get too involved in NIL. They likely have their 3rd All American on their roster in the last 3 years all with different names.

If this is MEH for Iowa fans, Iowa basketball can't be saved. I personally think Fran will eventually get fed up with it and leave for a school that has more resources, better fan support and obviously, he'll not be in the bottom half of the conference as far as pay.

There is a much better chance of Fran leaving Iowa for a better job then Iowa feeling the need to hire someone to take us to "another level".

I know I'm in the minority but I think almost every year - "how does Iowa continue to hold on to Fran?" ...and I think his kids being here is the reason. Let those fuckers play for as long as we can and hopefully Jack comes here and not Notre Dame.

Iowa falls out of bed and wins 20 games before the ball is even tipped, think about that. It wasn't always that. I like that personally. I couldn't be MORE engaged with Iowa basketball. I'm 4 hours away, I will make 2 home games and the game in Lincoln. Best I can do.

I've had the same three seats for wrestling for a long time. They're really, really good seats.

The two directly to my right have never in the years I've sat there or owned them had anyone show up. Even last year's PSU dual which was the most hyped up college dual ever, and the most watched TV college dual in history, and no one sat there. My son and even I joked about it; we looked the entire arena over for other empty seats but didn't see any. There were people standing around the top concourse 4 deep that whole dual, but those two seats next to us were empty. It's fucking weird. I'm starting to think it's Illuminati or something.

I ask about it every year and try to buy them but they're never available. Obviously the ticket office won't tell me who has them, but they just tell me those two seats are owned by a season ticket holder. It's really starting to piss me off because I want to buy them. Most likely it's either some 90 year old Ma and Pa Kettle living in Florida who just keep renewing them for the past 40 years and have no idea what StubHub is, or they're 3rd generation season tickets that some long-expatriated rich people living in California or Virginia or wherever just keep renewing because grandma and grandpa had 'em back in the day and they were told to keep them in the family.

Anywhoo...season ticket holders can be weird. You and I would think "wasted money" because we're rational, but if there's one thing you learn by being a season ticketholder at a major sports event, it's that rich people do really weird shit because they can.
I had a similar experience. Two seats to my right remained empty for extended periods. Rarely, various people occupied the seats. I later found out by accident that the head of maintenance for CHA owned them.

I had a similar experience. Two seats to my right remained empty for extended periods. Rarely, various people occupied the seats. I later found out by accident that the head of maintenance for CHA owned them.
I've asked all around me and no one has a clue who owns the two next to me. I'd pay money to get a phone number and at least call 'em and make an offer.

People don't seem to understand that if Fran really wanted to push it hard and shop around, he could make a lot of bank at a lot of places that'd be tickled pink to have him.
Last I checked he's the 10th highest paid coach in the league and it's been a while since he's placed anywhere near 10th. Now, you see his kids publicly asking for more fan support. Do you think Fran wouldn't want to go coach at a place that fills it's barn? I bet he does. He is woefully underpaid and again, consistently produces high quality players and wins. Check yourself if you think Iowa has hand in this relationship. I think the fact that he could coach his own kids had a MAJOR impact in retaining a coach the quality of Fran.