Iowa Basketball stuck in Meh

longtimer

Just not a very exciting team as I think is reflected in the attendance and lack of excitement by the 6 or 7 thousand who showed up. Frans tenure has seen some decent teams and quite a few first division finishes but a terrible NCAA tournament record which in modern day basketball is what it is all about. This team looks to be headed in that same direction and so far fans are just not excited about it.
I have to say I really like Bowen. I know its early but he does remind me of Lester. Really fast and smooth.

If anything, this team is actually exciting in comparison to the past. I do wonder if fans are getting a bit of McCaffery overexposure. Which comes at a time when Fran is actually more likable and Conner is actually finally becoming a real BB player. PM to me is just plain fun to watch even with fundamental shortcomings.

Iowa also doesn't have a player this year that makes one wonder why they aren't playing more (like Murray #2 last year.

A bit concerned CMs minutes went way up, but I would guess it accts for Murray having a big game. As long as CM can score in low double figures a game given the open opportunities, he is a natural feeder to Murray.

Even on this forum, participation for BB is very light thus far.

Just not a very exciting team as I think is reflected in the attendance and lack of excitement by the 6 or 7 thousand who showed up. Frans tenure has seen some decent teams and quite a few first division finishes but a terrible NCAA tournament record which in modern day basketball is what it is all about. This team looks to be headed in that same direction and so far fans are just not excited about it.
I have to say I really like Bowen. I know its early but he does remind me of Lester. Really fast and smooth.
Do you actually watch Iowa games? I mean, hot takes are great and everything, but you have to be trolling.

I think the biggest issue with the fans getting to the games is the start times as opposed to the level of excitement or fans being tired of Fran. My kids are dying to get to a game this year, just hard to do when it's an 1.5 hour drive and so many games are starting at 8:00 and we've got sports almost every night of the week making it even harder. Attendance always seems to be minimized this time of year as were not quite known to play a murders row of non-conference opponents. It'll pickup after Christmas.

I have not been able to watch many games given my streaming services. I am going to have to upgrade my services I guess. From what I have seen, I like the defense emphasis this year and it is a fun team to watch. I just think people are burnt given the Nebraska hangover.............I know it is a different sort, but the football games were almost painful to watch and I think that has had a pavlovian (sp?)effect....

I'd like to invite you to be a Nebraska fan. I love Fran and his teams. I really enjoy watching his teams play. Player development is great. They encourage each other.

This board, hopefully, will not be "headed in that same direction" as the football trolls.

Are you one of the bluehairs that tells people to sit down, btw?

Sorry to offend I do watch basketball It is hard to see Iowa playing before a crowd of 6000 in a major college game. Nothing I would like more than to see Iowa make a run in the Tournament. Hasn't happened in a long time

Sorry to offend I do watch basketball It is hard to see Iowa playing before a crowd of 6000 in a major college game. Nothing I would like more than to see Iowa make a run in the Tournament. Hasn't happened in a long time
You do realize that just because there aren't as many fans as you want for a Tuesday night non conference game, that doesn't mean the team sucks, right? I mean, what about this team being 8-1 and having a legit POY candidate tells you they aren't going to make the tournament?

Jesus.

They have a chance to make the tournament Hope they do and hope they make a run
Time for me to sign off this forum Good luck and Merry Christmas to all on the forum Have enjoyed

You do realize that just because there aren't as many fans as you want for a Tuesday night non conference game, that doesn't mean the team sucks, right? I mean, what about this team being 8-1 and having a legit POY candidate tells you they aren't going to make the tournament?

Jesus.

Nobody said the team sucks. The overall theme is pondering "is fan apathy setting in?" Basketball is fun, but there are a shitload of games and people are giving less and less of a shit about what happens before March. With Iowa the only question is how long Franuary will last. Everyone already knows they can go ahead and make other plans for Sweet 16/Elite 8 weekend. Personally, I like the stability.

Quote from an Iowa bb coach at Tailgaters, post game last night. “Tough for people to make it to a game at 8:00 on a weeknight.” Yeah, it’s that simple.

Quote from an Iowa bb coach at Tailgaters, post game last night. “Tough for people to make it to a game at 8:00 on a weeknight.” Yeah, it’s that simple.
so, are the empty seats already sold and they are season ticket no-shows? I haven't been to Carver for a long time to be honest.....I probably lost a few brain cells at the old fieldhouse though.....

This team isn't stuck in meh. We have legit athletes and gamers all over the floor. It may cost us some shooting but way may make up for it on the other end. Our non con schedules have even improved the past three-four years.

The second half of the Alford era. THAT was a team stuck in meh.

I think this team can make the tournament (probably will), but I also see another incomplete team that is lacking a dominant big man or two. Guard play may be on the upswing...I want to see more there.

At present, I can't see this team making it out of the first weekend yet again. But, the good news is the season is still very young and they have more room to grow.

Questions to be answered?
-Can they knock off a big boy or two in the remaining pre-season games?
-Can they avoid Franuary like situations in conference play?
-Can they stay healthy?
-Can the stars of the team show up when they are needed?

I agree the start times suck and only add to the haunted house feeling of Carver Tomb Arena.

I do think Iowa Sports in General are at a cross-roads overall.....see game thread post.

so, are the empty seats already sold and they are season ticket no-shows? I haven't been to Carver for a long time to be honest.....I probably lost a few brain cells at the old fieldhouse though.....
Old Field House. Brain cell damage severe. I think there are lots of season ticks no shows. Just around me NN, row 25, seat 13, which is a really good seat and around lots of season ticks, multiple absences. When the BT starts up, that will change for the better. And, as stated above, week night games suck for attendance.

I was shocked to see all the no-shows for an ACC team of quality. Ya, it's a Tuesday at 8 pm, but if your not going to watch this game why buy the tickets. Put them on craigslist or stub hub but at a price that will sell. Hell, give them away. This team deserves to be watched live, lack of a big man will hamper them, but they are fun to watch. They are currently in a shooting slump but a loud raucous crowd would be appreciated. I live too far away to make it to very many games but what's wrong with the locals?