Mullen
Price
Ainge
Korver
Thompson
Majerle
Kerr
Pistol Pete
There are plenty more. And of course probably the best ever from Iowa...Hornasek
Are those really all shooting guards?

Well you could go outside of Iowa and you've got
Hinrich
Bird
Redick
Mullen
Price
Ainge
Korver
Thompson
Majerle
Kerr
Pistol Pete
There are plenty more. And of course probably the best ever from Iowa...Hornasek
Bird wasn't an off-guard. He was a 6' 10" SF. Also, FWIW, Thompson I believe is mixed-race, but I could be wrong. Too lazy to look it up.

I am glad you mentioned Maravich. Most basketball fans nowadays have no clue who he is, but, boy, that guy could ball. Amazing player.

You left several other great off-guards off the list that could be included, but one I definitely would include is Jerry West.

Updates In Blue*

2019 PG DJ Carton; (Bettendorf) 4A (Record: 4-5)
Scored 31pts, 6 rbds, 1 block, 1 steal, 3 assists
His team lost 54-63 to Pleasant Valley on Dec 22nd
Next game is @Assumption, Davenport on Jan 5th
Avg: 23.4pts, 6.4 rbds, 1 steals, .60 blocks, 3.2 assists, 2.8 turnovers
Avg: FG 45%, 3PT 41%, FT 80.6%

2020 PF Xavier Foster; (Oskaloosa) 3A (Record: 9-0)
Scored 10pts, 7 rbds, 3 blocks
His team won 56-53 @ Newton on Dec 19th
Next game is vs Norwalk on Jan 5th
Avg: 16pts, 7.2 rbds, 1.55 steals, 3.55 blocks, 1.33 assists, 1.55 turnovers
Avg: FG 62.5%, 3PT 47.4%, FT 67.6%

2018 SG CJ Fredrick(Iowa); (Park Hills, KY) 5A (out of 6 classes) (Record: 9-3)

Scored 23pts; Can't find a source with more stats. If you know of one, please post it.
His team won 75-68 vs Pickerington Central, OH @ The Villages, FL tourney on Dec 30th
Next game is @ Holy Cross (Covington) on Jan 2nd

Avg: 21.08pts, 3.08 rbds
Avg: FG 51.4%, 3PT 42.3%, FT 88.1%

2018 PG AJ Green(UNI); (Cedar Falls) 4A (Record: 4-3)
Scored 32pts, 9 rbds, 2 steals, 5 assists
His team won 73-67 @ Wahlert, Dubuque on Dec 19th
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/28ZS6h
Next game is @ Waterloo, East Jan 5th
Avg: 23.4pts, 6.3 rbds, 1.85 steals, .57 blocks, 3.42 assists, 1.57 turnovers
Avg: FG 45.6%, 3PT 41.7%, FT 92.1%

2019 PG Tyreke Locure; (Des Moines, North) 4A (Record: 7-1)
Scored 56pts, 3 rbds, 3 steals, 7 assists
His team won 92-80 vs St Joseph, Lafayette on Dec 22nd
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/28c4dE
Next game is vs Ottumwa on Jan 2nd
Avg: 31.3pts, 5.3 rbds, 4.12 steals, 6.5 assists, 3.37 turnovers
Avg: FG 48.2%, 3PT 41.3%, FT 76.5%

2019 SF Patrick McCaffery(Iowa); (Iowa City) 4A (Record: 7-0)
Scored 25pts, 10 rbds, 1 block, 2 steals, 3 assists
His team won 86-55 vs Waterloo, East on Dec 22nd
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/28c9ZG
Next game is vs Wahlert, Dubuque on Jan 5th
Avg: 21.4pts, 6.9 rbds, 2.42 steals, .85 blocks, 2.71 assists, 1.57 turnovers
Avg: FG 47.5%, 3PT 30.4%, FT 79.7%

2020 PG Jalen Suggs; (Minnehaha Academy, MN) 2A (out of 4 classes) (Record: 8-2)
Scored 8pts, waiting on additional stats...
His team won 53-50 vs Orono @ Granite City Classic tourney (St Cloud) on Dec 30th
Next game is @ St Paul Highland Park on Jan 8th

Avg: 16.6pts,
Avg: FG -, 3PT -, FT -

2019 PG Tyrell Terry; (De La Salle, MN) 3A (out of 4 classes) (Record: 6-2)
Waiting on stats...
His team won 61-57 vs Yankton, SD on Dec 30th in Mike Miller Classic Tourney (Sanford Pentagon)
Next game is @ Madison East on Jan 6th

Avg: 14.6pts

2018 SF Joe Wieskamp(Iowa); (Muscatine) 4A (Record: 6-2)
Scored 38pts, 14 rbds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, 3 assists
His team won 75-32 @ Burlington on Dec 22nd
Next game is @ Davenport, West on Jan 5th
Avg: 35.5pts, 15.3 rbds, 1.87 steal, 1.62 blocks, 1.37 assists, 2.5 turnovers
Avg: FG 59.9%, 3PT 36.7%, FT 86.7%

Last edited:
Bird wasn't an off-guard. He was a 6' 10" SF. Also, FWIW, Thompson I believe is mixed-race, but I could be wrong. Too lazy to look it up.

I am glad you mentioned Maravich. Most basketball fans nowadays have no clue who he is, but, boy, that guy could ball. Amazing player.

You left several other great off-guards off the list that could be included, but one I definitely would include is Jerry West.
Best college basketball player period in my book. Lew Alcindor may have been most unstoppable and a close second. But Pete was ridiculous and didn't have a 3 pt line.

Best college basketball player period in my book. Lew Alcindor may have been most unstoppable and a close second. But Pete was ridiculous and didn't have a 3 pt line.
Probably the greatest offensive player. Averaged more than 40 pts per game each college season. He wasn't exactly a defensive stalwart, though, so I would probably still put Kareem first.

Maravich's long-standing collegiate scoring record is particularly notable when three other factors are taken into account:

• First, because of the NCAA rules that prohibited him from taking part in varsity competition during his first year as a student, Maravich was prevented from adding to his career record for a full quarter of his time at LSU. During this first year, Maravich scored 741 points in freshman competition.
  • Second, Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. Former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range would have been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game.[15][16]
  • Third, The shot clock (45, 35, 30 seconds) was not instituted until fifteen years after Maravich left LSU. The shot clock speeds up play, mandates an additional number of field goal attempts, eliminates stall tactics, and results in higher scoring. Had the shot clock been in effect during Maravich's career at LSU, he could have scored many more points per game.

Maravich's long-standing collegiate scoring record is particularly notable when three other factors are taken into account:

• First, because of the NCAA rules that prohibited him from taking part in varsity competition during his first year as a student, Maravich was prevented from adding to his career record for a full quarter of his time at LSU. During this first year, Maravich scored 741 points in freshman competition.
  • Second, Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. Former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range would have been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game.[15][16]
  • Third, The shot clock (45, 35, 30 seconds) was not instituted until fifteen years after Maravich left LSU. The shot clock speeds up play, mandates an additional number of field goal attempts, eliminates stall tactics, and results in higher scoring. Had the shot clock been in effect during Maravich's career at LSU, he could have scored many more points per game.
Totally forgot about the shot clock not being around either. There was nobody like Pistol Pete then or now. He was just so skilled with the ball. He could really pass and find guys too but because he was so good at scoring and nobody could slow him down he concentrated on that.

Probably the greatest offensive player. Averaged more than 40 pts per game each college season. He wasn't exactly a defensive stalwart, though, so I would probably still put Kareem first.
True I feel it's almost splitting hairs. Lew had next to no competition. Elvin Hayes was the best big man he went against in college and he had over 4 inches on him. Being 7'2 long arms and skilled inside with his hook shot made him unguardable against other 6'9 guys. By being his size and athletic he was naturally going to clog the middle and rebound.
Pete had the ball in his hands most of the time with defenses trying to get it out of it. Just truly an impressive player I wish today's kids knew more about. Again it's a tough debate that I can't hammer anyone on that feels differently

'99, for those who weren't around during Pete's time (i was) it just cannot be believed how good he was for his time. literally could score or pass on anyone. he was a cross between larry bird, magic and marqes haynes.

Maravich used to dribble a basketball everywhere he went and it became part of his hand. Nobody does that stuff anymore to improve their ball handling. It sure paid off for him.

Bird definitely played his share of minutes at the 2 spot for Boston. He is however officially listed as a SF. He really played the 1 -4 spots. They would play him wherever he had the best matchup. When you have a legend like that you just mix the parts in around him and let it flow.

Bird definitely played his share of minutes at the 2 spot for Boston. He is however officially listed as a SF. He really played the 1 -4 spots. They would play him wherever he had the best matchup. When you have a legend like that you just mix the parts in around him and let it flow.
Bird primarily played the 3, and occasionally the 4 if they decided to go small. That said, his skill set definitely was 1-4.

You can't simply move a player offensively to dictate a match-up by saying he's going to play a different position. It doesn't work that way. The best you can do is rely on switches, but the defense ultimately will dictate the matchup on a given play. Bird played a lot on the perimeter, but he almost never played the 2-spot officially, and I don't recall ever seeing him officially playing the point despite watching a ton of Celtic games in the 80s.

As good as he was, there was no way he could have matched up defensively with the off-guards of the day, such as Jordan. Danny Ainge generally manned the 2, and was backed up by Rick Carlisle, Jerry Sichting, Jim Paxson and Reggie Lewis (depending upon the season).

so you don't believe me, huh? hmmm....i suppose if we don't even want to pretend that a serious discussion is, well, serious, then i guess you shouldn't participate. i'm at least starting from the perspective we're all being serious. so, if you aren't doing the same, should you even participate? ;)

or, did i misunderstand your post? i took it as you saying anyone can anonymously say anything on the internet and there is no way to prove it one way or the other. did is misinterpret?

I was actually being honest, not that it can be proven one way or the other.

I had everything needed to play in the NBA except for two things: athleticism and talent.

True I feel it's almost splitting hairs. Lew had next to no competition. Elvin Hayes was the best big man he went against in college and he had over 4 inches on him. Being 7'2 long arms and skilled inside with his hook shot made him unguardable against other 6'9 guys. By being his size and athletic he was naturally going to clog the middle and rebound.
Pete had the ball in his hands most of the time with defenses trying to get it out of it. Just truly an impressive player I wish today's kids knew more about. Again it's a tough debate that I can't hammer anyone on that feels differently

Don't forget that when Alcindor was in college, it was a tech to dunk the ball. The bigs HAD to be more skilled then because they couldn't dunk. That's why he had the sky hook. And that shot was unguardable when he got into the NBA as well. Not even the best to ever lace them up, Wilt Chamberlain, could stop the sky hook. Ironically, it was Drake that gave Alcindor his closest game in his undefeated senior season - they won by only 3 in the Final Four; and Wanamaker, the Drake center, blocked one of his shots.

Pete could definitely shoot it. He was in his shooting range when he stepped off the team bus. But he could also pass with the best of them because the guys guarding him had to be so close that it created a lot of good passing angles.

Anyone have insight on McCray? I'm not familiar with him, but he has a nice stat line and is ranked 2nd behind Locure in tk's post.

Updates In Blue*

2019 PG DJ Carton; (Bettendorf) 4A (Record: 4-5)
Scored 31pts, 6 rbds, 1 block, 1 steal, 3 assists
His team lost 54-63 to Pleasant Valley on Dec 22nd
Next game is @Assumption, Davenport on Jan 5th
Avg: 23.4pts, 6.4 rbds, 1 steals, .60 blocks, 3.2 assists, 2.8 turnovers
Avg: FG 45%, 3PT 41%, FT 80.6%

2020 PF Xavier Foster; (Oskaloosa) 3A (Record: 9-0)
Scored 10pts, 7 rbds, 3 blocks
His team won 56-53 @ Newton on Dec 19th
Next game is vs Norwalk on Jan 5th
Avg: 16pts, 7.2 rbds, 1.55 steals, 3.55 blocks, 1.33 assists, 1.55 turnovers
Avg: FG 62.5%, 3PT 47.4%, FT 67.6%

2018 SG CJ Fredrick(Iowa); (Park Hills, KY) 5A (out of 6 classes) (Record: 10-3)

Scored 23pts, 2 rbds; Can't find a source with more stats. If you know of one, please post it.
His team won 85-52 @ Holy Cross (Covington) on Jan 2nd
Next game is @ Conner on Jan 5th

Avg: 21.2pts, 3 rbds
Avg: FG 51.5%, 3PT 41.7%, FT 88.5%

2018 PG AJ Green(UNI); (Cedar Falls) 4A (Record: 4-3)
Scored 32pts, 9 rbds, 2 steals, 5 assists
His team won 73-67 @ Wahlert, Dubuque on Dec 19th
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/28ZS6h
Next game is @ Waterloo, East Jan 5th
Avg: 23.4pts, 6.3 rbds, 1.85 steals, .57 blocks, 3.42 assists, 1.57 turnovers
Avg: FG 45.6%, 3PT 41.7%, FT 92.1%

2019 PG Tyreke Locure; (Des Moines, North) 4A (Record: 7-1)
Scored 56pts, 3 rbds, 3 steals, 7 assists
His team won 92-80 vs St Joseph, Lafayette on Dec 22nd
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/28c4dE
Next game is @ Des Moines, Roosevelt on Jan 5th
Avg: 31.3pts, 5.4 rbds, 4.12 steals, 6.5 assists, 3.37 turnovers
Avg: FG 48.2%, 3PT 41.3%, FT 76.5%

2019 SF Patrick McCaffery(Iowa); (Iowa City) 4A (Record: 7-0)
Scored 25pts, 10 rbds, 1 block, 2 steals, 3 assists
His team won 86-55 vs Waterloo, East on Dec 22nd
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/28c9ZG
Next game is vs Wahlert, Dubuque on Jan 5th
Avg: 21.4pts, 6.9 rbds, 2.42 steals, .85 blocks, 2.71 assists, 1.57 turnovers
Avg: FG 47.5%, 3PT 30.4%, FT 79.7%

2020 PG Jalen Suggs; (Minnehaha Academy, MN) 2A (out of 4 classes) (Record: 8-2)
Scored 8pts, 4 rbds, 3 steals, 2 assists
His team won 53-50 vs Orono @ Granite City Classic tourney (St Cloud) on Dec 30th
Next game is @ St Paul Highland Park on Jan 8th

Avg: 16.6pts,

2019 PG Tyrell Terry; (De La Salle, MN) 3A (out of 4 classes) (Record: 6-2)
Still waiting on stats...
His team won 61-57 vs Yankton, SD on Dec 30th in Mike Miller Classic Tourney (Sanford Pentagon)
Next game is @ Madison East on Jan 6th

Avg: 14.6pts

2018 SF Joe Wieskamp(Iowa); (Muscatine) 4A (Record: 6-2)
Scored 38pts, 14 rbds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, 3 assists
His team won 75-32 @ Burlington on Dec 22nd
Next game is @ Davenport, West on Jan 5th
Avg: 35.5pts, 15.3 rbds, 1.87 steal, 1.62 blocks, 1.37 assists, 2.5 turnovers
Avg: FG 59.9%, 3PT 36.7%, FT 86.7%

Last edited:

Latest posts