Iowa basketball needs fixed ASAP.

"What's everyone complaining about, the chairs are really, really comfortable at Carver Hawkeye Arena. I don't get what the big deal is and why everyone is complaining about Fran."

That's the problem.

I can't help but laugh at those blaming the fans for this. It's the teams responsibility to put a product on the court. The fan base responds to that product. The product is "fun" to watch the crowd has fun watching it and supports it. The product is lacking the crowds participation does as well.

Carver used to be a rocking place that provided a home court advantage. The problem is now the majority of the time the away team is simply better and its hard to get fired up about subpar performances. The crowd and fan support is a mirror image of the emotion and energy level of the team. This is not a fan problem.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I'm not blaming the crowd for "this". All I'm saying is with Iowa fans being the way we are, you would think Carver would be a huge home court advantage (like Hilton). But it's average at best.

We were fighting for a Big 10 Championship with a handful of games left a couple years ago. I was at the Wisconsin game and the Indiana game. The crowd sucked for both. (For what you would think the crowd would be given the importance of those games). If we win them both, we win a title. We lost them both at the very end.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I'm not blaming the crowd for "this". All I'm saying is with Iowa fans being the way we are, you would think Carver would be a huge home court advantage (like Hilton). But it's average at best.

We were fighting for a Big 10 Championship with a handful of games left a couple years ago. I was at the Wisconsin game and the Indiana game. The crowd sucked for both. (For what you would think the crowd would be given the importance of those games). If we win them both, we win a title. We lost them both at the very end.

Wasn't directed at all at you, but I see the frustration. My take though is the way things currently are I can understand the lack of energy in the stands.

Wasn't directed at all at you, but I see the frustration. My take though is the way things currently are I can understand the lack of energy in the stands.

For sure now. But I didn't notice any change at all from Fran's first year to number 3 in the country. Probably more fans there. But still the sit down mentality. Until that goes, Carver will never rock like it's capable of. Until it rock's like it's capable of, the program will never have the advantage that it could.

For sure now. But I didn't notice any change at all from Fran's first year to number 3 in the country. Probably more fans there. But still the sit down mentality. Until that goes, Carver will never rock like it's capable of. Until it rock's like it's capable of, the program will never have the advantage that it could.

I think a lot of that has to do with the location of the student section. Need to get the student body as close to the action as humanly possible.

WTF!!! Never? Are you clairvoyant??

There's this guy who owns a restaurant and they serve crappy hamburgers. He says to his customer, "I don't get it, why don't people flock to my restaurant and buy my food?"

Customer: "Cuz your food is crappy."

Owner: "So, why does that matter?"

^^^ see the problem

I think there are two different debates going on here.

One, is whether the basketball product being put on the court deserves a rocking rowdy Carver environment? Obviously, that's questionable. It's on the athletic department to give the fans something to cheer about, but, at the same time, these players deserve our support. I get it, though, as fans the only viable way to force change is to spend our dollars elsewhere. I just hate to see the players punished as a byproduct of fan frustration.

Two, is Carver set up to be a great environment? Having been to many games there, I would say definitely not. When it was constructed, it was apparent early on that the goal was fan comfort, not visiting team intimidation. The lighting also is, for lack of a better word, "sleepy." And, as others have pointed out, the location of the student section is far from ideal.

For those that think it is a great environment, I would encourage them to go to a game at Hilton, or Indiana's Assembly Hall. Carver isn't even close, and is even a far cry from the old Fieldhouse. I sincerely hope that the department takes those things into account when constructing a new arena.

Last night was brutal to watch. Rutgers' guards just abused us. When no one on the Hawks can stop the dribble penetration, you have no chance. I think Purdue guards are watching tape and can't wait to get here Saturday. Those Edwards guards are going to slice thru us and have a slam fest on us like no tomorrow. The sad part about it is the players on the Hawks know this is coming, Fran knows its coming, and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. I think that is why the players sometimes appear to be not hustling, dejected, whatever you want to call it. I see it as we are slow of foot and we know it. It reminds me of high school ball, sophomores against varsity at practice..we abused them just because we were faster and it was easy to do what you wanted.
Garza especially knows this . He can’t wait to get out of the way