Iowa basketball needs fixed ASAP.

I guess we can all come down from the ledge.
Remember folks, it's all about expectations...

"So this year eight stuff, it’s meaningless. It’s a coincidental and convenient thing to mention for some and has value measured in reality.....
but one disappointing year out of eight for the Iowa basketball program is hardly a reason to jettison the head coach."

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/lost-season-iowa-hoops-doesnt-mean-end-near

I share the "Can Fran" sentiments. Not because this year is not going as expected, or that recruiting is bad. It is that this team appears coach-less. Fundamentally, this is the worst Iowa team that I have ever seen, including the Lick years. I think the talent is there, minus the PG. I could handle the losses, if I thought this team was improving, or they were playing sound bball, but they are not, and that is a sign of bad coaching.

"So this year eight stuff, it’s meaningless. It’s a coincidental and convenient thing to mention for some and has value measured in reality.....
but one disappointing year out of eight for the Iowa basketball program is hardly a reason to jettison the head coach."

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/lost-season-iowa-hoops-doesnt-mean-end-near

People that say year 8 doesn't matter fail to realize year 9 will be bad too. Pull the band-aid off now instead of having another wasted season.

Jon is flat out wrong. Sorry. This team looks as lost as any of Lickliter's teams.

One disappointing year out of 8. I guess it depends on how you view the previous 7 seasons doesn't it?

Two years ago, Iowa was projected as a #1 seed at about this point in the season and tumbled all the way to a 7, and got destroyed in the 2nd round after barely making it out of the first. Two years before that, they were as high as #10 in the country, also about this point in the season but ended up losing in a play-in game. Those seasons started great but ended terribly.

Year 3 should have been an NCAA team as well, but how many late leads did that team give away. That was the year Iowa made the NIT final.

I see more than one disappointing season in Fran's tenure. So really, 4 out of 8, or half of them have a certain degree of disappointment in my mind. Maybe I'm being harsh but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hopefully in about 10 more years, all the old people will be done going to games and we can start building Carver with a young crowd. It's gotta be a huge disadvantage to try to build a team with Carver the way it is.

The crowd can be soft but I have also been there when it is extremely loud and rocking. Dont blame it on the crowd.

Iowa should never be this bad. I havent been watching much this year because they are bad and unexciting.

I dont get how a senior jok season nit bid isnt a disappointment. Point is we could have done a lot better evaluating recruits that could actually contribute, that could have complimented an in state talent like jok. Too many misses on players that had to transfer or be buried on bench like uhl and brady at times.

Some of Frans best players seasons are ones in which they played under fran the least. Many have shine with only development aid of highschool coaching only to regress or stay at same level of effectiveness. His players develope like Fran does. He has struggled with changing game plans to counter teams strength, building consistent or tactical rotation, or developing better ways to persuade officials to call the game nuetral.

Painter had three sweet 16 appearances before his two seasons of rebuilding.

This roster doesnt exactly look on the verge of turning around, if it were i would be defending him. Even if we get lucky and our back court surprises next year ill be looking out for another late season slump that has popped up most of the past 8 years.

Yah...those old folks need to die out..but not before they finish off paying those student loans they signed for.

People that say year 8 doesn't matter fail to realize year 9 will be bad too. Pull the band-aid off now instead of having another wasted season.
Yup. Tom Davis was 11-16 in year 8, but then won 20+ every year til he was let go.
If this was a rebuilding year with promise, then year 8 has no significance. What people like me are afraid of is we see what is being built and it is pretty scary.

I haven't felt great about any of Fran's seasons as our HC. If I'm being honest. Maybe his 5th season? Maybe not even that. We lost a play-in game, Got blown out by 20 points, 2 years in a row, in the 2nd round. That is the list of Fran's NCAA tourney appearances as our HC.
I fail to see the upward trajectory here. Now we have a roster that is so poorly constructed, I'm starting to wonder if Fran doesn't have a brain tumor that hasn't been diagnosed yet. There is no logic to the construction, minutes distribution or substitutions. None.

Jon is flat out wrong. Sorry. This team looks as lost as any of Lickliter's teams.
there is a difference between being a bad team and being a bad team that is poorly coached. Bad teams can get better. Bad teams with poor coaching have no hope.

I haven't felt great about any of Fran's seasons as our HC. If I'm being honest. Maybe his 5th season? Maybe not even that. We lost a play-in game, Got blown out by 20 points, 2 years in a row, in the 2nd round. That is the list of Fran's NCAA tourney appearances as our HC.
I fail to see the upward trajectory here. Now we have a roster that is so poorly constructed, I'm starting to wonder if Fran doesn't have a brain tumor that hasn't been diagnosed yet. There is no logic to the construction, minutes distribution or substitutions. None.
Even the best teams under Fran have been extremely frustrating at times.

I don't remember what article I read but it referred to a player that he talked to that played for Iowa and Fran for 4 years and he said we worked very very little on defense. That seems pretty obvious.

One disappointing year out of 8. I guess it depends on how you view the previous 7 seasons doesn't it?

Two years ago, Iowa was projected as a #1 seed at about this point in the season and tumbled all the way to a 7, and got destroyed in the 2nd round after barely making it out of the first. Two years before that, they were as high as #10 in the country, also about this point in the season but ended up losing in a play-in game. Those seasons started great but ended terribly.

Year 3 should have been an NCAA team as well, but how many late leads did that team give away. That was the year Iowa made the NIT final.

I see more than one disappointing season in Fran's tenure. So really, 4 out of 8, or half of them have a certain degree of disappointment in my mind. Maybe I'm being harsh but that's just my opinion.

lower-your-expectations-more-people-bye-and-youll-lower-your-5248589.png

The crowd can be soft but I have also been there when it is extremely loud and rocking. Dont blame it on the crowd.

Iowa should never be this bad. I havent been watching much this year because they are bad and unexciting.

We just lost bad AT Rutgers. I'm not blaming that on the crowd. My post was more about our home crowd stacking the deck against the program, making it even harder to get really good. Which is weird with how good Iowa fans are. You would think with our fans, Carver atmosphere would be a huge selling point to recruits. Instead it's a negative.

I share the "Can Fran" sentiments. Not because this year is not going as expected, or that recruiting is bad. It is that this team appears coach-less. Fundamentally, this is the worst Iowa team that I have ever seen, including the Lick years. I think the talent is there, minus the PG. I could handle the losses, if I thought this team was improving, or they were playing sound bball, but they are not, and that is a sign of bad coaching.

This is where I'm starting to get to. Missing the tourney last year wasn't a big deal to me. Missing this year isn't the end of the world. But there is no question we are the worst team in the conference, and frankly, I don't think it's even close. Half of that is on the talent level (which is Fran's fault) and half of that is lack of effort (which is Fran's fault).

This is where I'm starting to get to. Missing the tourney last year wasn't a big deal to me. Missing this year isn't the end of the world. But there is no question we are the worst team in the conference, and frankly, I don't think it's even close. Half of that is on the talent level (which is Fran's fault) and half of that is lack of effort (which is Fran's fault).

Missing the tournament last year wasn't a big deal, we are gonna miss NCAA tournaments. I was ok with it, because we had the bulk of the team back, and just barely missed the NCAA as it was.

The issue is WTF is this year? Fran has a completely full roster of kids he recruited and we have a glaring lack of guard play and way too many bigs. This shouldn't be happening this year. With better coaching and better roster management this should be an NCAA year. Heck looking back to last year with Jok, we should have been a NCAA team last year as well.