Iowa basketball mens

I'm not trying to pour gasoline on the argument, but going into the game Iowa and Rutger's were both winless in Big Ten play. Not saying either are the worst team in the Big, but you're only as good as your record, or in this case Conference Record. They looked much better and I hope they continue to improve, but IMO getting offended by anyone who's not overly impressed with what they've seen from the team up to this point is about equally as pointless as the argument that we're not the worst team in the conference.
Agreed.....I also agree Iowa is not the worse team in the conference.

Damn, dude! Since you went after me 4 different times regarding this ...
As others have calmly mentioned, TV showed him sitting on the bench with black hoodie pulled up over his head. I simply thought it was unusual that he had an "illness" (quotes per TV announcers) and wondered why would he be on the bench if he's too sick to play but can be around the team?
Sorry. Bad mood over all the negative crap about the team. Dolph and his partner sit within a few feet of the Iowa bench and repeatedly said he was out with the flu. Never a mention that he was on the bench. I certainly did not see him and I have a pretty clear view. Some guy with a hoodie? Really? Again, I over reacted. That has never happened before…oh, wait. Never mind.

As others have calmly mentioned, TV showed him sitting on the bench with black hoodie pulled up over his head. I simply thought it was unusual that he had an "illness" (quotes per TV announcers) and wondered why would he be on the bench if he's too sick to play but can be around the team?
Agreed....very interesting...if he has the flu (respiratory or the stomach bug) why is he sitting around the team and not at home getting rest? Or does Patrick's flu defy the laws of sickness somehow?

FluGate

Ok so Tony and

Ok so Tony and Ben had good games as well. But, I would say Iowa and Rutgers are in that bottom half of the Big 10. Iowa is not a good team this year....probably fighting for an NIT spot. They look good against the Sisters of Mount St Mary....against real competition is far more telling thus far.
Yeah, well…I guess basketball will be another HN argument that Iowa never wins except for terrible opponents. Wallow in it, if it makes you feel better.

Patrick really does seem bored/distracted. Not bored like bad kid not trying, it's more like appearing lost. Anxiety generates disabling self-doubt and distraction. Too bad for Patrick but good for whoever ends up starting.
Right.

Yeah, well…I guess basketball will be another HN argument that Iowa never wins except for terrible opponents. Wallow in it, if it makes you feel better.
They did beat Seton Hall. That was a good win.

I just think they have much more they need to prove to be thought of as a good team this year. The Wisconsin game....they also played well at times, and others not so much. A good team probably finds a way to win that game.

Beating Rutgers was a must win...probably the next two games as well (for NCAA to even still be in the discussion)...but it does not move the needle for me saying this team is on the rise.

They did beat Seton Hall. That was a good win.

I just think they have much more they need to prove to be thought of as a good team this year. The Wisconsin game....they also played well at times, and others not so much. A good team probably finds a way to win that game.

Beating Rutgers was a must win...probably the next two games as well (for NCAA to even still be in the discussion)...but it does not move the needle for me saying this team is on the rise.
Yes. Rutgers was a must win. Got to be good at home. Neither Iowa nor Rutgers have provided evidence they will be in the hunt for a top BT finish. The next two games will help the clarity about Iowa’s status, at this point in the season. No more, no less.

I am absolutely not maintaining that this team will make the NCAA or even the NIT. I do believe that painting them as a dumpster fire is just more of the same from the trolls who seem to come out in force, time after time. Even though I want us to make the Dance, I refuse to continually bash them at about every turn.

I go to all the home games, vs “little sisters” and top shelf BT teams. I watch the Away games on tv without fail. I have seen this team, with all their warts well established, play some amazing basketball. I love watching the young guys. And, if we don’t think there is some real talent there, we need to read “Basketball for Dummies”.

My advice is simple. Watch the games. Focus at times on individual players. Keep an eye on defense and rebounding, as well as assist to turnover ratio and points off assists, for example. Enjoy the journey. Quit spending an inordinate amount of time measuring success on if we will make the Sweet 16.

Or, spend your time campaigning to fire Fran, arguing that we have no “athleticism”,
telling all of us what we already know about our weak spots. Good grief! Can you just enjoy watching the kids play basketball?

Yes. Rutgers was a must win. Got to be good at home. Neither Iowa nor Rutgers have provided evidence they will be in the hunt for a top BT finish. The next two games will help the clarity about Iowa’s status, at this point in the season. No more, no less.

I am absolutely not maintaining that this team will make the NCAA or even the NIT. I do believe that painting them as a dumpster fire is just more of the same from the trolls who seem to come out in force, time after time. Even though I want us to make the Dance, I refuse to continually bash them at about every turn.

I go to all the home games, vs “little sisters” and top shelf BT teams. I watch the Away games on tv without fail. I have seen this team, with all their warts well established, play some amazing basketball. I love watching the young guys. And, if we don’t think there is some real talent there, we need to read “Basketball for Dummies”.

My advice is simple. Watch the games. Focus at times on individual players. Keep an eye on defense and rebounding, as well as assist to turnover ratio and points off assists, for example. Enjoy the journey. Quit spending an inordinate amount of time measuring success on if we will make the Sweet 16.

Or, spend your time campaigning to fire Fran, arguing that we have no “athleticism”,
telling all of us what we already know about our weak spots. Good grief! Can you just enjoy watching the kids play basketball?
I think there are some pieces for down the road here for Fran or whatever coach coaches them down the road (if Fran where to leave or retire). Harding could be quite the assist guy for example. Freeman has a future. If the Sandfort kids are on and not bricking shots...that helps. Right now, I watch them with low expectations. The women, on the other hand, have a much higher ceiling. But, we all know that.

I will say it again, my stance on Fran..... Fran does not deserve to fired. Body of work it to high for that. But, I feel if Fran stepped down (retired, or took another job) I would be ok with it. Fran is not that special....better than the last two goons...and fixed some of their issues....but not enough top end successes to get overly worried about him leaving.

I think that is the difference between Fran and Kirk Ferentz or a Mr. Davis....they have/had top end things you can point to along with keeping (kept) their respective programs competitive (like Fran).

Fran's post season tournament time is the equivalent of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown.

But, if Fran wants to hang around, so be it. He has earned it. String a few Lick like years together, then the seat is warm.

Last edited:
Friday's game is pretty big, Nebraska has played well this season but they are not a program that has just suddenly turned the corner and has it all figured out. I expect Iowa to win.

Friday's game is pretty big, Nebraska has played well this season but they are not a program that has just suddenly turned the corner and has it all figured out. I expect Iowa to win.
Friday's game could be moved up 24 hours or banged with the potential weather conditions in eastern Iowa. Not the current storm, but the second one predicted.

I think there are some pieces for down the road here for Fran or whatever coach coaches them down the road (if Fran where to leave or retire). Harding could be quite the assist guy for example. Freeman has a future. If the Sandfort kids are on and not bricking shots...that helps. Right now, I watch them with low expectations. The women, on the other hand, have a much higher ceiling. But, we all know that.

I will say it again, my stance on Fran..... Fran does not deserve to fired. Body of work it to high for that. But, I feel if Fran stepped down (retired, or took another job) I would be ok with it. Fran is not that special....better than the last two goons...and fixed some of their issues....but not enough top end successes to get overly worried about him leaving.

I think that is the difference between Fran and Kirk Ferentz or a Mr. Davis....they have/had top end things you can point to along with keeping (kept) their respective programs competitive (like Fran).

Fran's post season tournament time is the equivalent of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown.

But, if Fran wants to hang around, so be it. He has earned it. String a few Lick like years together, then the seat is warm.
Damnation by faint praise. You just don’t get it. Keep refusing to enjoy Iowa basketball, but quit bothering me with your lack of insight. Thanks.

Damnation by faint praise. You just don’t get it. Keep refusing to enjoy Iowa basketball, but quit bothering me with your lack of insight. Thanks.
Not sure what you are looking for, but you were the one that started complaining here. Your team can be bad and you still watch them and hope for the best. That is what I do.

Last edited:
Nebraska and officiating crew should fly in early so they are available for the game. Weather prediction is in, now react to it bone heads.

Spot on !!!!!