Iowa basketball fan support

Well after listing all of Fran’s achievements what other explanation is there? Just saying it’s broken doesn’t make sense. The explanation I suggested is the only plausible one as the achievements you listed are all legit.

People look toward March madness as the main thing that the regular season points to. Getting knocked out earlier year after year with consistency at doing it every year is going to turn fans off. It’s a huge letdown.
Nice try. “Saying something does not make it so”

I was thinking about the basketball program today with the news of the football program picking up Proctor. From reports out there it is believed that several football players have been given financial incentives to get them to return. So there is a lot of cash being thrown out there for the football program.

How much is left for the advancement of the basketball program?

Iowa fans shouldn’t be in a hurry to jettison Fran for some pig in poke new coach. Fran has done a good job since he got here. So it might be wise to keep him around as long as possible. He has built up a good enough program to keep Iowa competitive as long as he is here. If a new coach comes in and struggles Iowa could suffer for many years.

I think it was a zipper problem. But your correct, he did call us a football school as I recall.
. There can be excitement in men’s basketball in Iowa city don’t know about population but see Iowa women’s basketball. Just got to up the recruiting in men’s basketball & start being in the top four in the big ten & fans will come . See Wisconsin their just consistent that’s it .

The student section was full, and very loud. They were welcomed back on campus, since they have been home for break. Yahoo!

I've never questioned his off the court philanthropy efforts.. And I've always respected that he recruits high character people.

His weakest sauce moment was chasing the ref down the tunnel at Ohio State. If you're going to accuse a game official of cheating you better have solid evidence and be willing to put your own job and reputation on the line to prove it. Otherwise keep the mouth shut about the situation.
Meh, he did it off the court, I have almost no issues with someone confronting someone about an issue they have with them. Doesn't sound like he was violent, doesn't sound like it escalated to anything further. That's kind of life man. I respect Fran for calling it like it is and not backing down on his convictions. Sounds like this ref no longer does Fran's games, mission accomplished.

Let's just say if you have been eligible for the Dance for 5 straight years and in 4 of those years you had a Naismith finalist and you've won a conference tournament title and finished in the top half of the conference all 5 seasons.... maybe it's not the product on the floor. Maybe it's not the coach. Maybe. Seems like a convenient excuse to sum up why people dont go to Iowa games. IL hasn't had that type of success over the last 5 years, their place is full. Rutgers hasn't, full. Nebraska hasn't, full. Northwestern hasn't, full. As soon as you just let go and look at it for what it is, you'll stop blaming the good coach we have.

In 10 of the last 11 years, Iowa and MSU are the only B1G teams with only one losing league season. Over that span, Iowa is one game behind OSU for 5th in B1G victories. But remember, once Iowa wins 1 more game and makes the 2nd weekend, that will bring all the fans back and suddenly, Fran and the team (who wouldn't be the same team that made it to the S16) will be worthy of supporting again with a full stadium

I know there are a bunch of reasons why this won't happen, but what about an 8,000 seat arena somewhat adjacent to downtown? The university could explore a partnership with the city on the project. It'd be a boon to downtown and could host other events, concerts, etc. It'd be a symbolic venue bridging the campus to the community.

Cater to the students. Which would make it a hot ticket for non-students. Focus on getting Iowa City, Cedar Rapids and Quad Cities folks there. The odd start times aren't going away, so quit worrying about people who drive 2+ hours to attend. Plus, Iowa will be seeing $100M annually in TV money before long.

No parking? Yeah, it'd be tricky, but how many non-students we talking about anyway? And Iowa City has great buses. Set up an easy park and ride shuttle system for game days if needed.

I don't think it's difficult to imagine a top 5 environment for men's and women's basketball in that scenario.

I wouldn't spend another dime on Carver. That place needs to be blown up and put out of its misery.
I see Baylor's new arena is in the 7,000 to 8,000 capacity range. Perfect.

Looks like it cost around $200 million. I really think there could be a partnership opportunity between the university and city with an arena close to downtown. All that TV money should help grease the skids a bit, too.

Looks like it cost around $200 million. I really think there could be a partnership opportunity between the university and city with an arena close to downtown. All that TV money should help grease the skids a bit, too.

Carver isn’t going away anytime soon. My guess would be a 100-200 million dollar renovation of Carver is coming. With the renovations, seating capacity will drop from 15500 to about 12500.

In 10 of the last 11 years, Iowa and MSU are the only B1G teams with only one losing league season. Over that span, Iowa is one game behind OSU for 5th in B1G victories. But remember, once Iowa wins 1 more game and makes the 2nd weekend, that will bring all the fans back and suddenly, Fran and the team (who wouldn't be the same team that made it to the S16) will be worthy of supporting again with a full stadium

Everything you just stated is 100% fact…no disputing it. However, there is a disconnect with Fran and a sizable portion of this fan base that I don’t know how you fix it…if you can fix it.

Carver isn’t going away anytime soon. My guess would be a 100-200 million dollar renovation of Carver is coming. With the renovations, seating capacity will drop from 15500 to about 12500.
I'm sure it isn't. But that's my fear, that the university dumps $100 million+ renovating Carver vs. doing it right with a new arena for $200M. It's a crappy location and a crappy design. I think the long term value of any renovations would be pretty limited.

I'm sure it isn't. But that's my fear, that the university dumps $100 million+ renovating Carver vs. doing it right with a new arena for $200M. It's a crappy location and a crappy design. I think the long term value of any renovations would be pretty limited.

I have no counter, but that just feels the way they are going.

I hear the ideas about going “downtown.” Smaller venue, which probably makes sense, although sports venues have a history of expanding seating. Read.

I am really curious about the location. Can someone be a bit more precise? How much of the current business district would be disrupted? What commercial properties would survive, or be torn down? Parking? That will be fun to watch.

If we are talking about getting rid of the old Capitol grounds, good luck with that. You are kidding, right?

Why the argument that CHA is a “crappy location”? Baseball, football, wrestling, basketball, track and field, lacrosse, softball, golf, soccer, transportation hub, tennis, indoor sports center, and probably some sports facilities I don’t know about or have forgotten. Oh, yeah. The indoor and outdoor football practice facilities, not to mention the football complex.

Ask every BT athletic department if they could start from scratch, if they would love Iowa’s arrangement. Duh.

Now. How about establishment of a mass transport system from the east side of the river to the sports complex? For example, I use the Hancher lot for my season basketball attendance. It is kick ass. Literally door to door.

How about a soft rail electric system, going east and west Over the river? Students in health related areas would love it, too.(Dumbest move ever by athletic department was ditching rail transport from Coralville, which could be used for basketball, football and wrestling. It had thousands of users. Too expensive? Fine. Raise the prices like you do for about everything else.

Minnesota example. Park at Fairgrounds. Free bus to front steps of stadium. Bus Route on game day designated traffic free. Quick, easy, safe. Works for basketball and wrestling at Iowa.

I picture a partially elevated rail system, all electric. Some venues are installing escalators or powered walkways for better access. Pay attention to the elderly and the handicapped. The children with their parents.

Or, I guess you can tear down CHA and spent multi millions of $$$ on a new venue instead.

Anyway, that was fun.

Huck

Yeah. I will wait for the city to announce what commercial properties will be leveled.

Latest posts