~ Iowa Basketball Career Records to Watch ~

Recent Update Movements & Stats to Watch:
  • Jordan Bohannon passed Kent McCausland and Peter Jok and is now 4th all time in career 3PM.
  • Jordan Bohannon is 6 3PM away from tying Chris Kingsbury for 3rd all time in career 3PM.
  • Jordan Bohannon is tied with Roy Devyn Marble for 7th all time in career assists.
  • Jordan Bohannon is 83 assists away from tying Ronnie Lester for 6th all time in career assists.
  • Jordan Bohannon is also 13 points away from joining the 1,000 point club as the 48th member. Tyler cook joined the club as the 47th member less than a month ago vs UNI.
  • Nicholas Baer passed Greg Brunner and is now 9th all time in career blocks.
  • Nicholas Baer is 17 blocks away from tying Michael Payne for 8th all time in career blocks.
  • Tyler Cook is 16 points away from tying Kenny Arnold for 35th all time in career points.

All stats are up to date through the Nebraska game as of 1/7/2019

That's pretty amazing considering Jok played all 4 years and was a damn good shooter. To pass him in 2 and a half years is hard to believe.

Jok barely played as frosh though and less then 20 minutes per game as a soph. For comparison, Bohannon is only 300 career minutes behind Jok's entire career playing time already, he'll nearly pass that by the end of the month. Two and half years isn't comparable when you are playing 30 plus minutes a game. Maybe if Jok would've been given the green light to shoot 30 3s vs Savannah State and Bryant or keep chucking down 20 plus at Purdue with three minutes left and the game over his numbers might've looked as impressive in the long run.

Jok barely played as frosh though and less then 20 minutes per game as a soph. For comparison, Bohannon is only 300 career minutes behind Jok's entire career playing time already, he'll nearly pass that by the end of the month. Two and half years isn't comparable when you are playing 30 plus minutes a game. Maybe if Jok would've been given the green light to shoot 30 3s vs Savannah State and Bryant or keep chucking down 20 plus at Purdue with three minutes left and the game over his numbers might've looked as impressive in the long run.

Very true that Jordan will end up with a lot more playing time than Jok was given. Maybe compare their actual shooting percentages(below)? I added the per game column so it's easier differentiate who played in more games than others.

Jordan 41.5% from 3 for his career.
Jok 37.8% from 3 for his career.

Both have shot numerous tough shots from deep and drilled them at a pretty high clip. I had zero problem with Peter and have zero problem with Jordan jacking it up whenever he is open, within reason of course. Honestly I think it was good he started chucking more against the cupcakes to help get himself back on track for conference play. FYI Jordan is shooting 47% from 3 in the past 6 games since Iowa State. If you want to ignore the cupcakes, he's shooting 55% in the last 2 conference games.

How have I never viewed this thread before!?? Or maybe I have and I just don't remember. My memory isn't what it used to be. Either way, awesome idea and big thanks to the OP!

Roy Sr's scoring record is safe, but Dev & White will both end up pretty high on the all-time list..

I'd say White has a good shot at Marble's FT's made record, though. In fact, looks like he's on pace to break it..

Earl's blocked shot record is gonna be tough to beat.

Thx for adding the 1000 point club.

• Jordan Bohannon is 5 3PM away from tying Chris Kingsbury for 3rd all time in career 3PM
  • Jordan Bohannon passed Roy Devyn Marble and is now in sole possession of 7th all time in career assists
  • Jordan Bohannon is 74 assists away from tying Ronnie Lester for 6th all time in career assists.
  • Jordan Bohannon joined the 1,000 point club as the 48th member
  • Nicholas Baer is 14 blocks away from tying Michael Payne for 8th all time in career blocks
  • Tyler Cook is 1 point away from tying Kenny Arnold for 35th all time in career points

All stats are up to date through the Ohio State game as of 1/14/2019

If Cook averages 15 ppg the rest of the year for 20 or so games he'll end up in the 1400 range, Top 20 for sure. Interesting that no one has ever fisnished in the 1400 range in the club. Outside chance he could catch Horner and Jok. Assuming he's gone after this year, that'll be ti for TC.

JBo should play for two more years and has a great shot at making the Top 10 in scoring before it's all said and done. He's going to have quite an impact on some of the all-time Hawkeye records.

If Cook averages 15 ppg the rest of the year for 20 or so games he'll end up in the 1400 range, Top 20 for sure. Interesting that no one has ever fisnished in the 1400 range in the club. Outside chance he could catch Horner and Jok. Assuming he's gone after this year, that'll be ti for TC.

JBo should play for two more years and has a great shot at making the Top 10 in scoring before it's all said and done. He's going to have quite an impact on some of the all-time Hawkeye records.

Depending on how things shake out he could be the all time assist leader and all time 3 pointers made leader. The assist one is becoming a bit shaky with his assist numbers this year but he should have the 3 pointers made one locked up, maybe even by the end of this season (junior year). Like you mentioned, top 10 in points is definitely a possibility as well.

• Jordan Bohannon is now tied with Chris Kingsbury for 3rd all time in career 3PM
  • Jordan Bohannon is 68 assists away from tying Ronnie Lester for 6th all time in career assists
  • Jordan Bohannon is 5 points away from tying George Peeples for 47th all time in career points
  • Nicholas Baer is 14 blocks away from tying Michael Payne for 8th all time in career blocks
  • Tyler Cook is 1 point away from tying Kenny Arnold for 35th all time in career points

All stats are up to date through the Penn State game as of 1/17/2019

Garza also eclipsed the 600 point mark last night. He's on pace for around 1,600 points.

Moss is quietly at 754 points now, if he stays next year, he'll probably get to 1000. He's also at 103 3s, so good chance to crack that top 10 as well.

Baer is at 124 steals, so he'd need about two per game the rest of the way to make the top 10. Doubtful as he's averaging 1.4, but still a chance. It'd be fun to see who is on the different lists beyond the top 10, wish the media guide put a top 25 in each of those categories and a top 100 in scoring like some schools do. Probably some forgotten guys or surprise guys. Out of curiosity I looked up Woolridge, and he had 123 steals so Baer just passed him. A guy like Acie Earl had 111 steals, he might be top 25 but you wouldn't really expect that (although he is tied for the game record with 9).

Good job on this, This is all good numbers on this year team. Jordan Bohannon would probably be first at 3 PM by the time he's finished school. I'm pleasantly surprised that the players are all on the list and reaching the top of the list. This team is a legend!

Do you use Excel? or Python Programming for keeping the statistics updated? I think you have a knack for keeping a track of the numbers put up on HN.

Do you use Excel? or Python Programming for keeping the statistics updated? I think you have a knack for keeping a track of the numbers put up on HN.

I use Excel and have one spreadsheet for all of it. I have a records tab with a couple of simple formulas set up but it's mostly manual edits for this thread using Iowa's media guide as the starting point then just add in the updates for the current year. I try and compare several sites to make sure the stats all jive. I have noticed a couple of errors over the years on some sites including the media guide at times that messed up when updating year over year.

As for the Hawk's quadrant summary and the Kenpom/Sagarin composite that includes NET, for those ones I have several queries I refresh that bring in the data from Kenpom, Sagarin, and NET. Then I have a lot of formulas written to automatically cleanup the data to get the naming conventions to all match so the respective rankings from each can be used to compare the teams. All 3 tend to use different names for a lot of the schools, ie abbreviating differently. Once the data is clean, I have a couple of pivot tables that in turn feed to summary tables that are what I use to sort/filter to post here on HN.

I used to keep similar spreadsheets on excel but when I got upgraded to Windows 10 I lost them all. One I wish I hadn't was a father/son combined top 10 in scoring. Roy and Dev are in it, that's what got me interested. Dell and Steph Curry were #1 I think and Dell and Seth were in the Top 10.

Pistol Pete Maravich is interesting in this regard, he had two sons both of whom played college basketball. One son played some but one son redshirted a yaer, transferred, sat out then sat on the end of the bench and ended up scoring one Div 1 point but it still got him in the top 10 for this category, the other son as well.

With Nunge, Pemsl, and Fredrick all sitting out this year there is going to be a scholarship crunch coming and I'm guessing some of these guys will be leaving a year early.

Moss might be ready to go pro, play in the G league or go overseas. Assuming he's minded his business he could be a graduate transfer. It could depend on how much Fran feels he needs him.

If Dailey is graduating in three years he could be a grad transfer possibility.

If Cook were to stay, which I don't see, and Moss to come back and make the 1000 point club that would be the third time in MBB history that there would be three active members of the 1000 point club. Can anybody name the other two combos?

With Nunge, Pemsl, and Fredrick all sitting out this year there is going to be a scholarship crunch coming and I'm guessing some of these guys will be leaving a year early.

Moss might be ready to go pro, play in the G league or go overseas. Assuming he's minded his business he could be a graduate transfer. It could depend on how much Fran feels he needs him.

If Dailey is graduating in three years he could be a grad transfer possibility.

If Cook were to stay, which I don't see, and Moss to come back and make the 1000 point club that would be the third time in MBB history that there would be three active members of the 1000 point club. Can anybody name the other two combos?

Duke in 1991-1992
  • Christian Laettner
  • Bobby Hurley
  • Thomas Hill
Iowa in 1988-1989
  • Roy Marble
  • BJ Armstrong
  • Ed Horton

Those are the two that come to mind. Are there really no others? Not even at smaller schools?

Duke in 1991-1992
  • Christian Laettner
  • Bobby Hurley
  • Thomas Hill
Iowa in 1988-1989
  • Roy Marble
  • BJ Armstrong
  • Ed Horton

Those are the two that come to mind. Are there really no others? Not even at smaller schools?

I think he means just at Iowa.

1996 we had Settles, Kingsbury, and Murray all go over 1000 with Millard and Woolridge just shy of 900 at years end, obviously Andre went way past it the following year.

Latest posts