Iowa Basketball And Your Expectations

• Exceeded Expectations

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Met Expectations

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Well, There's Next Year

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
I think the expectations should be the NCAA tournament, but will depend on their seed if I think they'll win a game. Next year my expectation would be 2nd weekend, but this year it will be them getting their feet wet. Even though this group I think has some individuals with a killer instinct that we haven't had in awhile.

Honest question, what does everyone think their ceiling for the NCAA tournament could be? I could see them being as high as a 6 or 5 seed. Top 4 finish in the conference they're flirting with a 5 seed I bet depending on BTT.

I think the expectations should be the NCAA tournament, but will depend on their seed if I think they'll win a game. Next year my expectation would be 2nd weekend, but this year it will be them getting their feet wet. Even though this group I think has some individuals with a killer instinct that we haven't had in awhile.

Honest question, what does everyone think their ceiling for the NCAA tournament could be? I could see them being as high as a 6 or 5 seed. Top 4 finish in the conference they're flirting with a 5 seed I bet depending on BTT.
I would say the ceiling is a 5 seed and the floor would be missing the tournament. Smart money would say probably somewhere in between, maybe 7-8 seed.

The interesting thing about the B1G schedule, while it is favorable in terms of giving Iowa a chance to rattle off some wins and finish in the upper half of the league, there aren't many chances for marquee road wins which are needed to enhance seeding.

Or put another way, I think the favorable schedule probably gives a better chance at making the dance due to sheer number of wins, but may in fact hurt us in terms of seeding, depending on where the wins come.

It's less then 18 days til the first exhibition - looks like we'll getta see all the exb games on BTN +

I would say the ceiling is a 5 seed and the floor would be missing the tournament. Smart money would say probably somewhere in between, maybe 7-8 seed.

The interesting thing about the B1G schedule, while it is favorable in terms of giving Iowa a chance to rattle off some wins and finish in the upper half of the league, there aren't many chances for marquee road wins which are needed to enhance seeding.

Or put another way, I think the favorable schedule probably gives a better chance at making the dance due to sheer number of wins, but may in fact hurt us in terms of seeding, depending on where the wins come.

I agree with this. Our seed will be one or two worse than we think it should be based on wins,because of schedule. Of course, Iowa always seems to be one seed worse than it should be so what's the difference.

I agree with this. Our seed will be one or two worse than we think it should be based on wins,because of schedule. Of course, Iowa always seems to be one seed worse than it should be so what's the difference.

The Cayman tournament is going to be huge for iowa to get neutral location wins. Louisana, our first opponent, isn't very good. The second round opponent is either Wyoming who won the CBI last year or south Dakota State who was a 16 seed last year. The final game could (should?) Be Iowa vs Cincinnati which would be a huge win for Iowa although they'll probably be underdogs

Neutral court win vs drake would be a must and there's also a sneaky neutral court game vs Colorado.

Of course there are also non conference road games vs isu and Virginia tech. Winning one of those would be huge

Iowa has a decent enough non conference schedule to notch a few big wins. They just can't mess up any of the must win games.

Anything less than a Final Four this year and I'll burn Carver to the ground.

VM0raPQ.gif

I think Iowa will be good this year unless all the talk about an easy schedule goes to the players and coaches head. Teams usually do better when they know they have their work cut out for them.

This poll doesn't make a whole lot of a lot of sense. Its hard to have expectations and then react on those expectations before the season has even started. However, going into the season here would be my barometer

Above Expectations: Sweet 16
Met Expectations: Dance
Below Expectations: NIT or worse

I agree with previous poster but would like to add to it!

Above Expectations: Challenge for B1G reg. season or tournament championship!
Met Expectations: Finish in Top 5 in B1G final reg. season standings and trip to the big dance!
Below Expectations: Bottom half of B1G standings, NIT bid or no bit at all.

This is a young and talented team that is only going to get better! Iowa basketball is definitely looking up! I really like the way our recruiting is on the upswing with multiple successful and talented classes! The only thing that could slow us down is lack of experience, depth at point guard, and defense. We have a very soft non-conference schedule, and I can see a fast start for the Hawks that could help boost their momentum and confidence going into B1G play!

Latest posts