Iowa Basketball And Your Expectations

• Exceeded Expectations

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Met Expectations

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Well, There's Next Year

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Usually when you have a coach who has been around six or more seasons the law of averages is a safe bet when predicting the future. You can hope that with better recruits that there will be a gradual uptick in performance and success. Sooooo, I could see any where from a third place finish to sixth place finish in the conference with a first round win against a twelfth seed followed by a loss in the second round of the NCAA tourney.

You can hope, as fans often do, that one or more players will arise and play out of their mind and we finish in the top three of the conference and make to the final eight in the tourney. You never know when it comes to basketball.

I expect the Hawks to finish much higher in the B1G standings than the media "experts" predict and make it back to the NCAA's, despite what the so-called bracketologists are forecasting.

Not voting because there's no way to know if the Hawks will meet my expectations this year or not.. This seems like a better end of season poll.

That said, my expectations are an NCAA bid, no less than an 8-9 seed. Top half of the conference standings.

Will they do it? No idea. Pre-season expections dont mean a lot. This year could be better than I expect, too.

That's kinda where mine are. Top half of conference which should get safely into the tourney.

Sil
If you have never posted here before this screen name, and this is the first time I have ever responded to your posts, why would you claim I am obsessed with you? You have replied to just as many post by me as I have you.

Silence. Mic drop...

Usually when you have a coach who has been around six or more seasons the law of averages is a safe bet when predicting the future. You can hope that with better recruits that there will be a gradual uptick in performance and success. Sooooo, I could see any where from a third place finish to sixth place finish in the conference with a first round win against a twelfth seed followed by a loss in the second round of the NCAA tourney.

You can hope, as fans often do, that one or more players will arise and play out of their mind and we finish in the top three of the conference and make to the final eight in the tourney. You never know when it comes to basketball.
The "law of averages" for Fran's teams has been to finish the season better than pundit preseason predictions. A 3-6 finish would accomplish that.

The "law of averages" for Fran's teams has been to finish the season better than pundit preseason predictions. A 3-6 finish would accomplish that.

Absolutely correct; I hope he kicks the damn pundits door down and finishes first or second in the conference.

I think if the team plays as well as I think they can, then at least a 4-6 seed is definitely possible. Who knows - if the team plays excellent team basketball all year long with no Feb/March meltdowns, then the sky is really the limit.

However, I tend to agree - past history with Hawkeye hoops has taught me not to over-expect. Expect the usual, hope for better. My official prediction is right around the usual 7 seed with a first round win, and 2nd round manhandling vs. a 2 seed. Anything better is gravy, in my mind.

I predict Fran will win a Big 10 title before he's done at Iowa.

He's flirted with it a time or two. Just couldn't keep the momentum going all year. Two years ago really comes to mind.

Looking at our roster:
http://hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Still a lot of underclassmen and I only see one senior (Uhl) that's on scholarship. I think the next couple years (2018-2020) we could have a shot at a regular season title if everyone sticks around and improves, when we have more juniors & seniors.

Don't see it this year.. Just don't think we have enough experienced talent ("experienced" being the key word) for it to be realistic. I still think we're a top-half of the conference team, though.

Last edited:
He's flirted with it a time or two. Just couldn't keep the momentum going all year. Two years ago really comes to mind.

Looking at our roster:
http://hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Still a lot of underclassmen and I only see one senior (Uhl) that's on scholarship. I think the next couple years (2018-2020) we could have a shot at a regular season title if everyone sticks around and improves, when we have more juniors & seniors.

Don't see it this year.. Just don't think we have enough experienced talent ("experienced" being the key word) for it to be realistic. I still think we're a top-half of the conference team, though.

Only way we could win it this year is to start the year with big wins against teams way better than us, like we finished the year last year. I think by the end of the year we will be a good enough team to have a chance to win it with our schedule. We just have to kinda get lucky during the first half of the schedule. I'd give us about a 5% chance to win it this year.

Only way we could win it this year is to start the year with big wins against teams way better than us, like we finished the year last year. I think by the end of the year we will be a good enough team to have a chance to win it with our schedule. We just have to kinda get lucky during the first half of the schedule. I'd give us about a 5% chance to win it this year.

I guess I missed something.. Looks like we're back to a 16 game conference schedule again and the BTT starts 2/28?

Seems like a fairly favorable schedule, not having to play any of the following on the road: Purdue, MSU, Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern. Still feels funny to me thinking that only getting NW once is a good thing..

Conference play is never easy, though.

upload_2017-10-6_13-41-55.png

I guess I missed something.. Looks like we're back to a 16 game conference schedule again and the BTT starts 2/28?

Seems like a fairly favorable schedule, not having to play any of the following on the road: Purdue, MSU, Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern. Still feels funny to me thinking that only getting NW once is a good thing..

Conference play is never easy, though.

View attachment 2789

There are 2 games in December. Penn State and @Indiana.

Not as high on this team as others. My expectations are a NCAA berth, but I see us fighting and scrapping into the last week to lock that in.
Issues I see are still dribble penetration, somebody getting to the basket when the play is busted and shot clock is down to :05. I also question our toughness/grit/rebounding effort.
Having said that, I think our game prep is excellent and our sets are pretty strong. These strengths will get us enough W's to squeak into the Dance.
The Big Ten will be a bit stronger as well. But our schedule helps.

P.S. Would LOVE to eat words and have us finish 3rd/4th, but I see us at 6th/7th.

Confusing poll...I have no idea if I think they will meet or exceed my expectations. I think a better question is what are your expectations for this team?

My expectations are to win at least 1 in the big dance (round of 32), a 1 and done or a NIT bid would be below my expectations. Advancing to the Sweet 16 or beyond would exceed my expectations.

Latest posts