• NCAA Tournament

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • NIT Bound

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Iowa has five white starters next year, I wonder when the last team that won a national championship had starters that were all white. Anyway, I'll go with national champions until they aren't.

What does everyone think happens next year, knowing who left and who remains?

I get why you are doing this but the conversation in the thread that inspired this one was about the CEILING of next years Iowa team. In case you don't what that means it's the best they can hope to attain if everything goes PERFECT. So this poll really doesn't match what was being discussed. I agree with Dean in that Iowa's ceiling is a 8-10 seeded NCAA team now that Iowa has lost Moss but you will see, whenever the voting gets revealed that I voted Iowa being a NIT team. I believe the "floor" (I can explain this too if needed) of Iowa next year is a .500 team.

So with that explanation, what do you believe is the ceiling of next years Iowa team? If you actually do this right and be honest about it then it shouldn't be that far off from what Dean said.

I put NCAA tournament, but I think it’s going to be awfully sweaty come selection Sunday. I see this team as a 10 or maybe play in 11 type team if things go fairly well.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere the scary thing for me is that our defense could actually take a step back next year.

Ceiling:
I would say this teams ceiling is a 6 seed and second round exit. For that to happen Toussaint would have to be so good that he demands a starting spot from day one, Nunge would have to be a very high level player at the 4 and be very good defensively, and Frederick would have to provide quality guard minutes off the bench. In addition Connor would have to improve his play and Pat would have to provide quality minutes as well. So as you can see all those things happening together seem fairly unlikely.

Floor (Devil’s advocate):
NIT. If Joe T isn’t ready to be much of a contributor, and Nunge has some struggles I could see this team back to the NIT. As I noted it’s fairly reasonable to see a scenario where our defense actually takes a step back next year, which is pretty scary considering we were a bad defensive team last year. Offensively if TC’s worth was more than we were giving him credit for on offense, and with no real shot creators it’s possible we could take a step back there as well. Let’s remember we were a 10 seed that pulled out some fairly fortunate wins at end of games last year, if we take a step back on defense and offense, and a few bounces go against us this team could be a NIT type team or potentially worse.

Conference games assuming no long term injuries...

Ceiling = 20-0

Floor = 0-20

My best guess...

Ceiling = 15-5

Floor = 8-12

Edit - NCAA

I get why you are doing this but the conversation in the thread that inspired this one was about the CEILING of next years Iowa team. In case you don't what that means it's the best they can hope to attain if everything goes PERFECT. So this poll really doesn't match what was being discussed. I agree with Dean in that Iowa's ceiling is a 8-10 seeded NCAA team now that Iowa has lost Moss but you will see, whenever the voting gets revealed that I voted Iowa being a NIT team. I believe the "floor" (I can explain this too if needed) of Iowa next year is a .500 team.

So with that explanation, what do you believe is the ceiling of next years Iowa team? If you actually do this right and be honest about it then it shouldn't be that far off from what Dean said.

Wrong! what spurred this was Ingoodco comment. Recommend that you look again. And Personally I think Ceiling references in sports is rather silly.

The first time me and super fan 99 here ever agreed on anything.

It’s a start.. hahaha. It’s what makes sports forums great when you don’t see eye to eye with certain People Good. I’m far from a superfan it’s just the way I see things. I don’t see Iowa making the dance 3 Key losses and our Schedule will make it very tough.

Wrong! what spurred this was Ingoodco comment. Recommend that you look again. And Personally I think Ceiling references in sports is rather silly.
Silly or not, it's a thing people discuss. It's all projection and really, what these boards are for. It also helps people understand your thoughts on the team and program. I can say, I think Iowa's gonna be pretty good next year. If I say that, posters are gonna be like, Ingoodco thinks Iowa is winning the title. I don't. I think their ceiling is probably an 7 or 8 seed if everything goes right. It would have been higher with Moss and Cook. It also could be higher because besides the 3 known commodities on the team, everything else is a little bit more of color by numbers. The floor for me - is NCAA. Period. With JW, JB and LG - you better at least make the dance.

Silly or not, it's a thing people discuss. It's all projection and really, what these boards are for. It also helps people understand your thoughts on the team and program. I can say, I think Iowa's gonna be pretty good next year. If I say that, posters are gonna be like, Ingoodco thinks Iowa is winning the title. I don't. I think their ceiling is probably an 7 or 8 seed if everything goes right. It would have been higher with Moss and Cook. It also could be higher because besides the 3 known commodities on the team, everything else is a little bit more of color by numbers. The floor for me - is NCAA. Period. With JW, JB and LG - you better at least make the dance.

Wonder how many People also factoring in Iowa Non-Conference Schedule.

It’s a start.. hahaha. It’s what makes sports forums great when you don’t see eye to eye with certain People Good. I’m far from a superfan it’s just the way I see things. I don’t see Iowa making the dance 3 Key losses and our Schedule will make it very tough.

That's true - I love to debate with people who have differing opinions. What is the 3rd key loss?

Wonder how many People also factoring in Iowa Non-Conference Schedule.

It will be tough - but Iowa will be a team loaded with upperclassmen and players who have been in the system for multiple seasons. Iowa should be good next season - period. As you're poll results are already bearing out, you will be in the minority.

It will be tough - but Iowa will be a team loaded with upperclassmen and players who have been in the system for multiple seasons. Iowa should be good next season - period. As you're poll results are already bearing out, you will be in the minority.

It’s Looking that way. And 3 key Losses Baer, Cook and Moss.

It’s Looking that way. And 3 key Losses Baer, Cook and Moss.
Gotcha - and good point. I don't think of Baer and what he provided. I just can't get passed having Jordan, Luka and Weiskamp. The best 5 Fran has had, the best 3 point shooter in Iowa history in Jbo and Joe Weiskamp, one of the best players in the conference and likely Fran's best player ever. If that team isn't dancing, there's a problem and I will want scalps. :)
75838588.jpg

Gotcha - and good point. I don't think of Baer and what he provided. I just can't get passed having Jordan, Luka and Weiskamp. The best 5 Fran has had, the best 3 point shooter in Iowa history in Jbo and Joe Weiskamp, one of the best players in the conference and likely Fran's best player ever. If that team isn't dancing, there's a problem and I will want scalps. :)
75838588.jpg

I agree 100% Iowa has the talent but sadly for me it’s the man leading us to get there. Most know how I feel about Fran. We shall see!

I thought Iowa was set to have a very experienced team next year, but now I don’t think they are any more experienced than we were last year per say. We will likely have a 10 man rotation which will feature 3 guys who have never played college basketball, and 2 others that didn’t play last year. Technically speaking we will have 6 underclassmen out of 10 guys and RK has only averaged about 11 minutes a game in his 3 year career.

I thought Iowa was set to have a very experienced team next year, but now I don’t think they are any more experienced than we were last year per say. We will likely have a 10 man rotation which will feature 3 guys who have never played college basketball, and 2 others that didn’t play last year. Technically speaking we will have 6 underclassmen out of 10 guys and RK has only averaged about 11 minutes a game in his 3 year career.

Kriener, Nunge, Pemsl, Garza, Connor, Wieskamp, Bohannon - all have experience and multiple years within the program sans Joe, who we know what we are getting when he steps on the court. That's enough- that's an NCAA team and you won't convince me otherwise. If they aren't - there's a problem.

To play devils advocate, we have 3 returning starters, all of whom are really good. We have three guys returning who have all been on campus several years, have all been a starter at one point, and who will all be vying for the 4 position. So, I think we have very good experience returning. 6 guys who have all started multiple games in their careers.

There will be one remaining roster spot for 1 guy who has very limited experience. I agree. But, let's see who the candidates are:

Of the remaining 4, you have two coaches kids. Usually pretty mature and heady players. Conner has the highest basketball IQ on the team IMHO. Patrick is green, but a Top 100 recruit with huge match up problem potential. Will take that. The other two look good on tape and from reports, and should be solid contributors, at least, at the guard positions.

So, we really just need 1 of these 4 to be a quality Big 10 starter. The others need to be role players off the bench and give quality minutes. Given the talent in that pool, I feel good that we have a quality starter, at least one, amongst them.

Latest posts