Iowa Athletics COVID-19 Discussion

I can't imagine that a college will be able to maintain much social distancing, particularly after this lockdown stuff. Back when I was in college, I basically ran panty raids like every other weekend and I've gotta assume there's a lot of guys running panty raids like twice a week now.

to be blunt there is alot of swapping of bodily fluids when 30000-50000 young men and women live and study in such close proximity. and now the swapping includes just breathing out bodily droplets.

Sounds like Garza is caught between a rock and a hard spot according to the recent podcast. There may not be a college basketball season this year and also the try out and workout type of stuff that the pro’s do to help with the draft isn’t going go on either.

I agree with the point that was made that they should just keep pushing back on the date required for players to declare for the draft until an announcement is made to play or cancel the college basketball season.

The article written by Rick Brown really puts this whole Coronavirus situation into perspective and the serious nature of it. It could cost many schools their sports programs.

I like it that Rick points out that Americans have become complacent about taking precautions to slow the spread. Part of the problem causing this complacency is the misguided assumption that this is hoax. People love their entertainment especially sports enthusiasts and the possibility of there being no college football is eye opening to many who at first may not have taken this seriously enough.

Even though I am asthmatic I and my family always wear mask when out in the public, even when going through a drive thru at a restaurant or pharmacy. It’s terribly uncomfortable for me, but I do it because if my concern for the general population. I may or may not survive it if I become infected but my family and I do t want to be responsible for the spread of the virus that could cause the death of our own loved ones or someone else’s loved ones.

It’s unfortunate that when we are at the grocery store or other stores that we find ourselves in a grave minority of those wearing mask. It’s saddening to see such selfish behavior or ignorance. The typical mask may not totally protect you from getting the virus unless it’s a N95 mask but it will to some extent contain some of the minuscule droplets in the air and reduce the chances of spreading the virus to others who die from it. Even if a person doesn’t die from the virus it could lead devastating medical financial bills for any significant stay in a hospital.

It’s sad that it may take the loss of sports entertainment to open some people eyes to a epidemic, but if that is what it takes then I guess that is one positive from this whole mess.

On a positive note it was announced on the news yesterday that a vaccine has been developed that is showing success at creating antibiotics for the coronavirus. Now comes the real test will those antibiotics being created in the human body be enough to ward off the virus. Let’s hope so. Then we can all get back to enjoying sports entertainment, get everyone back to work, and quit having to wear these annoying mask.

The last time I went into a grocery store was around memorial day. I was one of the few people wearing a mask or practicing social distancing. I've since ordered our groceries on line and pick them up.

If we don't have college football at Iowa this year, it's likely because people decided they didn't want to follow guidelines that were easy and well known. Folks partied it up on memorial day and again on July 4, throwing caution to the wind.

Now, where we are.

Iowa City Schools announced last night it was starting classes on-line only this fall. Officials said maybe kids will be back to in-person by October. The decision likely wiped out fall sports around here.

But by all means, don't wear that mask. You have rights.

The last time I went into a grocery store was around memorial day. I was one of the few people wearing a mask or practicing social distancing. I've since ordered our groceries on line and pick them up.

If we don't have college football at Iowa this year, it's likely because people decided they didn't want to follow guidelines that were easy and well known. Folks partied it up on memorial day and again on July 4, throwing caution to the wind.

Now, where we are.

Iowa City Schools announced last night it was starting classes on-line only this fall. Officials said maybe kids will be back to in-person by October. The decision likely wiped out fall sports around here.

But by all means, don't wear that mask. You have rights.

Well said Rob , and thank you for wearing a mask.

Didn’t you tell me to bet my life savings on there being football this year?

There isn’t even going to be basketball.

State of Iowa COVID Numbers as of 7/15/2020
People hospitalized 190 lowest number since 4/17/20
Patients in ICU 62 lowest number since 4/11/20
Patients on ventilators 35 lowest number since 4/10/20
Deaths 2 lowest number since 3/28/20

We still have a long way to go, but the curve has been flattened and the hospitals have not been overrun. The experts need to stop moving the goalposts. Let's play some football.

I have something that no gambler has ever had. A system. I'd share it, but I don't want you jagoffs moving the lines against me and breaking the system.
You joke, but @4thngoal actually tells people that in all seriousness. He hasn’t explained yet why he’s not a billionaire.

We've got to get beyond the point where, GASP!, someone got Covid. Who cares? What a wussified society we live in. Death rates are falling, probably due to the fact the care facilities have been run thru already. Have football, have bball this winter. Or puss out and cancel life. I know I only get a certain amt of time on earth...why waste one to two years of it cowering?

State of Iowa COVID Numbers as of 7/15/2020
People hospitalized 190 lowest number since 4/17/20
Patients in ICU 62 lowest number since 4/11/20
Patients on ventilators 35 lowest number since 4/10/20
Deaths 2 lowest number since 3/28/20

We still have a long way to go, but the curve has been flattened and the hospitals have not been overrun. The experts need to stop moving the goalposts. Let's play some football.
Except for the part where you left out how most states are on a rocket ship up to higher numbers than at any time before. You know, states that play college football.

Unless you’re suggesting Iowa stays home and plays 10 scrimmages against itself.

We've got to get beyond the point where, GASP!, someone got Covid. Who cares? What a wussified society we live in. Death rates are falling, probably due to the fact the care facilities have been run thru already. Have football, have bball this winter. Or puss out and cancel life. I know I only get a certain amt of time on earth...why waste one to two years of it cowering?
Death rates aren’t falling. I don’t know what weird data you’re looking at, but they’re increasing across the country in 7 day average deaths. Cases have gone through the roof and deaths have lagged by two weeks, like they always have. And they’ll continue to climb until there’s another shutdown, people start wearing masks, or a vaccine. Only one of those things is likely to happen and it will be next spring before it does. There’s going to be no football and no basketball this year. Better just accept it.

The article written by Rick Brown really puts this whole Coronavirus situation into perspective and the serious nature of it. It could cost many schools their sports programs.

I like it that Rick points out that Americans have become complacent about taking precautions to slow the spread. Part of the problem causing this complacency is the misguided assumption that this is hoax. People love their entertainment especially sports enthusiasts and the possibility of there being no college football is eye opening to many who at first may not have taken this seriously enough.

Even though I am asthmatic I and my family always wear mask when out in the public, even when going through a drive thru at a restaurant or pharmacy. It’s terribly uncomfortable for me, but I do it because if my concern for the general population. I may or may not survive it if I become infected but my family and I do t want to be responsible for the spread of the virus that could cause the death of our own loved ones or someone else’s loved ones.

It’s unfortunate that when we are at the grocery store or other stores that we find ourselves in a grave minority of those wearing mask. It’s saddening to see such selfish behavior or ignorance. The typical mask may not totally protect you from getting the virus unless it’s a N95 mask but it will to some extent contain some of the minuscule droplets in the air and reduce the chances of spreading the virus to others who die from it. Even if a person doesn’t die from the virus it could lead devastating medical financial bills for any significant stay in a hospital.

It’s sad that it may take the loss of sports entertainment to open some people eyes to a epidemic, but if that is what it takes then I guess that is one positive from this whole mess.

On a positive note it was announced on the news yesterday that a vaccine has been developed that is showing success at creating antibiotics for the coronavirus. Now comes the real test will those antibiotics being created in the human body be enough to ward off the virus. Let’s hope so. Then we can all get back to enjoying sports entertainment, get everyone back to work, and quit having to wear these annoying mask.

I was going to write a post complimenting Rick on his common sense, straightforward story. I don’t have to, because you articulated my thoughts better than I could. Thanks!

You successfully continued your run for insensitive idiot of the year. Congrats!

Latest posts