Iowa a better rival to Nebraska (Miller&Deace)

CalvaryHawk

Had some trouble tracking what Jon and Steve were arguing about this morning. They both agree that Iowa vs Nebraska in the B10 hurts ISU, but Deace would not accept the premise that Iowa is closer to Nebraska in terms of the state of their football programs. So is Nebraska vs ISU hurting Iowa?? Going back 10 years wasn't enough-he started talking about the last 50 years (the resource of the desperate). Was he feeling defensive because that 10-year measuring stick doesn't help Michigan and where they stand as a program? It almost seemed like he was creating an argument just to be disagreeable. What am I missing?
-Greg

Why would Nebraska vs. ISU hurt Iowa? There is no real competition between those two teams. Once every blue moon the clowns beat Nebraska but Nebraska has owned the clowns since the inception of that conference. Nebraska playing the clowns does nothing to Iowa.

True, Nebraska has beaten Iowa more times when we have played but they also quit playing Iowa when Hayden took over the program and when Iowa was no longer a pushover. Nebraska is no longer the team it was in their heyday and Iowa and Nebraska are pretty equal right now. A series between the two would be fierce. Right now I believe there is more spite between Iowa and Nebraska than between the clowns and Nebraska.

The moment Nebraska joins the Big 10, that spite is going to amp up greatly between Iowa and Nebraska and that first game will be greatly anticipated. Tickets will be at a premium regardless of where that game is played. I would anticipate a nasty game between the two teams for bragging rights that is not seen now between the clowns and Nebraska. I also suspect it won't take long for a true border war to develop between the two teams.

Missouri is another team that won't take long.

Nebraska leads the all time series with ISU 85-17-2.... while some might consider it a rivalry it's not remotely a competitive rivalry.

To give you some perspective fOSU who owns us in football only leads the series 45-14-3.

Last edited:
I don't think the majority of the Iowa fanbase really cares too much about the state of the program pre-1980. Also, I don't believe the majority of the Iowa fanbase really cares too much about the ISU football program outside of the game we play every year.

There is absolutely no reason for ISU fans to gloat about beating Nebby last year. I watched that game and Nebraska clearly shot themselves in the foot repeatedly, fumbling over and over. Correct me if I am wrong but Nebraska had 8 turnovers that game and ISU barely squeaked out a W winning 9-7. Nebraska clearly beat themselves and outside of a good performance by Jesse Smith the rest of the ISU team was not impressive at all that day. Nebraska should have killed them were it not for suffering from a severe turnover bug that day.

I was cool to the inclusion of Nebraska to the Big Ten early on,but am slowly warming to the possibility, as they do have a national presence despite their low population and miniscual TV sets in their own state.
I agree that an Neb-Iowa football game at Kinnick would produce a horde of red-clad yahoos to Iowa City,and it would be exciting. Our program is on equal footing right now,and that makes for a great rivalry. Missouri? Still getting used to the concept of a bunch of southern hillbillies in The Great Northern Conference....below the Mason-Dixon is hard to embrace for me.

There is absolutely no reason for ISU fans to gloat about beating Nebby last year. I watched that game and Nebraska clearly shot themselves in the foot repeatedly, fumbling over and over. Correct me if I am wrong but Nebraska had 8 turnovers that game and ISU barely squeaked out a W winning 9-7. Nebraska clearly beat themselves and outside of a good performance by Jesse Smith the rest of the ISU team was not impressive at all that day. Nebraska should have killed them were it not for suffering from a severe turnover bug that day.
I got in trouble for setting my coworker's desktop to this. (nebby grad)

I was cool to the inclusion of Nebraska to the Big Ten early on,but am slowly warming to the possibility, as they do have a national presence despite their low population and miniscual TV sets in their own state.
I agree that an Neb-Iowa football game at Kinnick would produce a horde of red-clad yahoos to Iowa City,and it would be exciting. Our program is on equal footing right now,and that makes for a great rivalry. Missouri? Still getting used to the concept of a bunch of southern hillbillies in The Great Northern Conference....below the Mason-Dixon is hard to embrace for me.

Great take. Can't believe how 'Clone fans are going on an on about that 6-6 regular season.

Memorial stadium holds 81,067 which is 10,472 more than Kinnick. They have sold out 304 straight games (leads the country I believe). Their state population is only 1.8 million, but they are pretty much all avid Nebby fans because there is nothing else there. I was gunna say that is about the same as the UI portion of Iowa, but then I realized that ISU fans all watch the Iowa games because they want to watch good football and often don't have their own games even aired on TV.
They have a decent following around the country to, not like Iowa but decent. I think it is a good fit for the b10 and would be a great rivalry.

I hate Nebraska with the fire of 1000 suns... That being said I think their addition to the Big 10 would be a great thing for the conference. Iowa/Nebraska would be a better rivalry than ISU/Nebraska, there's no way Nebby fans overtake Kinnick like they do Jack Trice!

There might be a horde of red-clad Nebraska fans to Iowa city but most of that horde will be watching the game from the parking lot because most will not get into the stadium. They will not be traveling to Jack Trice where they will just walk up and get a ticket. Kinnick will be a tough ticket to get and most Hawk fans will keep their tickets for that game.

Little Red will be seen in Kinnick the day Nebraska plays Iowa at Kinnick just as there will be little black and gold seen in Nebraska when Iowa plays in Lincoln. Those tickets will be hard to come by.

Most everywhere Nebraska plays in the Big 10, except for NW and Indiana, will be a tough ticket to come by. Maybe they are used to buying as many tickets as they want in the Big 12 at most stadiums but that is not going to be the case in the Big 10.

Memorial stadium holds 81,067 which is 10,472 more than Kinnick. They have sold out 304 straight games (leads the country I believe). Their state population is only 1.8 million, but they are pretty much all avid Nebby fans because there is nothing else there. I was gunna say that is about the same as the UI portion of Iowa, but then I realized that ISU fans all watch the Iowa games because they want to watch good football and often don't have their own games even aired on TV.
They have a decent following around the country to, not like Iowa but decent. I think it is a good fit for the b10 and would be a great rivalry.

Sorry man, but Nebraska's nationwide following is greater than Iowa's.

In my opinion Deace was arguing for argument sake. If we look back 50 years the landscape of college football was much different.

1. Conferences had different rules on the number of student athletes. The Big 8 from 1960 or earlier time until the mid 70's permitted the NCAA maximum of 45 per year recruits per year. Nebraska would have over 200 players on its squads when walk-ons were included. The Big Ten permitted only 30 per year. Around 1975 the NCAA put everyone on the same level. It has since reduced the limit to 85 athletic scholarships for football.

2. The Big Ten only allowed the conference champion to be part of a bowl game, the Rose Bowl. The Big Eight put no limit on the number of teams. I remember a 5 and 5 ISU team under Johnny Majors that lost its bowl game to end the season 5 and 6.

3. Academic requirements in the old Big Eight were quite different from the Big Ten. The DMR in the 80's had an article about the differences in the college entrance scores. I wish I would have saved that article. According to the Register, I'm doing this from memory, Oklahoma's average ACT score was like 15, Well below the minimum of 18 today. Think about that for a minute? It would mean if someone got a 20 then someone else got a 10!

These three points are made to suggest that much of Nebraska's success and tradition was built during a different football era. Nebraska tied the Wolverines for national champions in 1997 and won the title in 94 and 95. In 1991 the scholarship limit of 85 began. Since squads had more than 85 players when it went into affect it took three years to work down to the 85 limit. Since that reduction Nebraska has come back to the pack.

The football history of ISU and Iowa are much different. Overall ISU has winning percentage slightly under .400 and Iowa has a percentage around .520. Since 79 it is probably greater than .600. Iowa on the stat side would make a more competitive series.

Poor Iowa State, they became the tiebreaker of how close Iowa and Nebraska are to each other. Iowa State has, is, and will always be team 1b in Iowa so it would be a bigger and better rivalry.

Ghost, from living in Council Bluffs and going to school in Iowa City, nobody east of Des Moines really cares.

Latest posts