Iowa +1/2 @ Maryland

Basically a pick-um. I'm surprised, I feel like Maryland has a lot to play for and is at home. I'd expect them to circle the wagons on Thursday night.

Maryland is good and on a good night could even blow us out but for some reason i like this match up. Purdue terrified me right now I'm kind of expecting a win. I suppose being good will do that.

Watched 3 Maryland games. They are good, but not better than Purdue or MSU. I expect to win this game.
If I were a gambler I'd take that number and run.

So Vegas is saying Iowa is the better team but will lose because it's at Maryland. I'll take the Hawks. Playing on the road hasn't impacted our level of play. And it's time for someone to put an end to Maryland being undefeated at home in Big 10 games.

We're top 10 in fewest turnovers per game. Maryland is, like,190 or something. If that trend plays out Thursday and we hit our threes we probably have another double digit win

Glad they aren't as physical as Purdue. It gave us fits early in both games.

Also, FWIW, RPI has us -0.9 dogs.

Maryland doesn't scare me at all unless Diamond Stone is dominant. Shut him down and I'm not too worried. That team is far too inconsistent and our best beats their best any night. Maryland has had close games vs Wisconsin and Northwestern and lost to Michigan. Purdue had me much more nervous than this game does because of their size. There isn't a single team in the country that could beat the one that came out in the 2nd half vs Purdue, excluding two very poor 20 second series of cheap turnovers that let them back in, that was such a dominant half of basketball.

Last edited:
Something tells me Mikey gets back on the smart track, the total team consistency stays true and Iowa wins by 8+.

On the other hand, Iowa's due to lose. (Is it just some reverse psyche cliche to think they need to​, in order to reset and run again for the tournaments?). This is as "good" a loss left on the schedule, so, do it, already.

I'm not betting on this game, but I would take Maryland. Its just way too hard to run the entire big ten schedule, you have to lose eventually. Last year Wisconsin lost 2 big ten games and one was @Maryland.

Maryland is heavily reliant on the pick and roll game with Melo Trimble. He can score and dish in the pick and roll as well as anyone in the country. Melo tries to get their big men going by getting them touches early while taking over the scoring late. The good news is Iowa has the best pick and roll defense in the B1G (Link below). I don't think we can allow their big men to get easy looks early and get their confidence going.

I got Iowa winning by 9.

http://www.umhoops.com/2016/01/25/big-ten-power-rankings-january-25th-2016/

I think if I had to bet I'd go with Maryland. It's much more of a must win situation for them having the loss at Sparty and it being a home game and already back in the standings.

It's a new venue so although we have a veteran team, it's a new environment for our guys and we'll be going into a hostile crowd as we go in with a big target on our back.

I wouldn't be shocked if we won either so realistically I wouldn't bet this game but if I had to.. I'd go with the home team.

Something tells me Mikey gets back on the smart track, the total team consistency stays true and Iowa wins by 8+.

On the other hand, Iowa's due to lose. (Is it just some reverse psyche cliche to think they need to​, in order to reset and run again for the tournaments?). This is as "good" a loss left on the schedule, so, do it, already.

You're right on MG, we need him back to playing smart, as he's been a bit off the last couple games. Our offense works best when he's running it, but when he drives without a plan, that's when trouble happens.

I think if I had to bet I'd go with Maryland. It's much more of a must win situation for them having the loss at Sparty and it being a home game and already back in the standings.

It's a new venue so although we have a veteran team, it's a new environment for our guys and we'll be going into a hostile crowd as we go in with a big target on our back.

I wouldn't be shocked if we won either so realistically I wouldn't bet this game but if I had to.. I'd go with the home team.

This, me too. The crowd will be all over Woody for last year's eye poke, and now Uthoff for his comment blown out of proportion. It will be hostile.

not as worried about this as I was the PU game, I think we win by double digits. That being said I am starting to worry about Sundays game, I fear a big let down if we do beat Maryland.

If we lose i don't think it will be because maryland is pumped up or desperate or anything like that

Latest posts