Interesting Tidbit on the ISU Sound System Issue

Hawkfromnorwalk

I was pretty much done with this subject and about to call it dead when I read an excerpt from an email communication between a poster on HR and Gary Barta. The poster sent Barta an email asking him about the rules of playing loud background music while the other team is on offense. Here is a blurb that seems interesting from Barta's response:

"We don’t play music over the visiting teams play calling. It is against the rules to play artificial noise once the team goes under center. We asked that it be addressed...but didn’t get cooperation."

Sounds like somebody at Iowa brought this issue to ISU's attention and ISU basically told them to F off.

I didnt figure it was legal. If it were people would have huge speakers on the sidelines, blarring all kinds of stuff. Even if it was legal, it's not very classy.

This didn't come thru on TV. What was happening? Speaker noise whilst in huddle or whilst under center?

So we either pay back the favor next year when they're in town or we let it die and sweep it under the rug, with everything else from Saturday. I'm guessing we all know that we'll end up taking the high road on this one.

In retaliation I'm sure, the Iowa band started playing longer towards the end of the game. I remember Jantz being at the line several times while they were still playing. Either way, both parties are wrong. It's a stupid thing to do and hopefully whoever runs the music gets a talking to. The last thing ISU needs is some sort of NCAA crap thrown in their face because of something as dumb as this.

In retaliation I'm sure, the Iowa band started playing longer towards the end of the game. I remember Jantz being at the line several times while they were still playing. Either way, both parties are wrong. It's a stupid thing to do and hopefully whoever runs the music gets a talking to. The last thing ISU needs is some sort of NCAA crap thrown in their face because of something as dumb as this.

Vacated wins.

This didn't come thru on TV. What was happening? Speaker noise whilst in huddle or whilst under center?

Mostly just music and stuff like that. It was very loud though. To the point where you couldn't hear the person next to you. And sometimes they played it when JVB was already under center.

I'm pretty sure this is legal, even though it's pretty classless. If we're at the line, I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

Your pry right, but I am betting there is some rules about when the sound can and cant be played.

Last edited:
How can that be legal? Crowd noise is not controlable, but sound systems are. Heck if thats the case and we can use artifical items, I vote for a wind machine that blows a 60 mph cross wind at them while in the huddle. And give the people infront of the wind machine hands full of tooth picks.
That stuff cant be legal, or it would get way out of hand in a hurry.
I would save that for all opposition kicks :D

ISU has been doing this for YEARS.

Actually, as I watched the game from home, I was paying close attention as to whether or not they were still doing this. They were. I've been to ISU games before and I've always found it to be complete BS.

The fact is.... typically ISU can't generate enough noise from the FANS to create much of a home field advantage, so they artificially pump in music and noise to disrupt the visiting team.

If you watch the tape of the game, pay close attention to the background sound when Iowa breaks the huddle. It often times will last right up to the point Iowa snaps the ball.

It might not sound like much on TV, but it is incredibly loud if you are at the game....and on the field.

If Barta says they requested that ISU address the issue, then I'm not the only one who thinks it is out of control.

LOL.., comparing the decibel level of the

Iowa band to the sound system playing EVERY time Iowa got under center is comical. I was at the game, and the sound system is/was deafening. I'm no fogey and all for generating crowd excitement, but the sound was over the top.

It's one thing if the crowd is loud when the opponent is under center, that is to be expected and part of homefield advantage. but what went on with the piped noise while Iowa was under center was ridiculous.

I noticed it a couple times on TV.

Hawks were ready to go and lined up on offense, 90s Jock Jams were still playing over the speakers.

Re: LOL.., comparing the decibel level of the

Iowa band to the sound system playing EVERY time Iowa got under center is comical. I was at the game, and the sound system is/was deafening. I'm no fogey and all for generating crowd excitement, but the sound was over the top.

It's one thing if the crowd is loud when the opponent is under center, that is to be expected and part of homefield advantage. but what went on with the piped noise while Iowa was under center was ridiculous.

I'm not sure if you're disputing what I said or calling me a liar? Care to clarify?

Did any of you go to the game? They played music during ISU's huddle as well and many times me and the fans surrounding me where telling them to shut it off so we could focus. It was 100% not just when Iowa was on offense.

Either way it was annoying and needs to be fixed.

Latest posts