Interesting recruit's perspective on the ISU v Iowa series continuation.

Dude...I remember the late 70's when Iowa wasn't selling out its games. Don't pretend that some greater loyalty exists amongst Hawkeye fans...ISU fills the stadium for UNI as much or more than it does for Iowa. Iowa has had a lot of success since the early 80's...ISU's day is coming.
Hey Mesa? I have no idea where to look it up, but weren't the Hawks still putting more butts in the seats at Kinnick in the 70s than Jack Trice's current capacity? Just sayin'...

It's not possible to be a fan of both programs, and truly be a fan. Not possible.

I concur.

I have no hatred towards ISU because a majority of their kids are Iowans.

But, you will not catch me cheering for them. Not now. Not ever.

Then ole Mesaclone throws in this classic line (paraphrased):

You are using the Chizik years to compare, when there was no hope or optimism.

Dude, when was the last time the Clowns won a conference title? Or, when was the last time they played in a bowl game that was not a dot.com bowl or a bowl of consequence?

When was the last time ISU went to a New Years Day Bowl game?

Wait, they haven't.

In terms of selling out their stadium. Nope.

Much of that era, ISU was still in Clyde Williams Field...and thereafter Jack Trice had a full capacity of just 42,000...so that limited the numbers. Fan support in the state, however, favored ISU. Iowa's raw attendance numbers were likely higher due to a larger stadium capacity.

Much of that era, ISU was still in Clyde Williams Field...and thereafter Jack Trice had a full capacity of just 42,000...so that limited the numbers. Fan support in the state, however, favored ISU. Iowa's raw attendance numbers were likely higher due to a larger stadium capacity.

I'm assuming this is a reply to me...So you're comparing the 70's, the "pre-Mac golden era of Cyclone football" and selling out 42,000 seats...and Iowa fans have no reason to talk, because they were only putting 60,000 in Kinnick, during the end of the worst era in Hawkeye Football history?

I haven't said Iowa fans can't talk. Iowa fans every right to be proud of their program. As do ISU fans of theirs. And THAT is the point.

For the record, an official sellout is just a hair over 46,000. You can bet that NU, Utah and Texas Tech will all be sellouts and almost certainly well over 50,000 in attendance...as many will be in standing room only status.
I'm not going to argue about sellout status and capacity with someone who insists on buying the ISU athletic department's ridiculous claims of "capacity" that's 20% higher than sellout status.

If you sell standing room only tickets, then it's not a sellout if you haven't sold all of your standing room only tickets. I don't care how the ISU AD chooses to label it, I care about common sense.

It is too bad the kid couldn't have gone to Iowa. We all know he would have given anything to go to Iowa but a scholarship is a scholarship....even to clown U. Now the kid wants to play Iowa to prove that he deserved a scholarship to go to Iowa. Unfortunately, Iowa can't give scholarships to every kid in Iowa. That's why I wish clown U had gone belly up, then kids like this would have walked on. Kids like this are still too good for clown U...

I haven't said Iowa fans can't talk. Iowa fans every right to be proud of their program. As do ISU fans of theirs. And THAT is the point.

Fair enough...it just came off as you were saying Hawk fans weren't always supportive...when under the circumstances, they were very supportive for what they were getting for an on-field product.

While I don't believe this to be true, I hope all of those fans graduated from ISU. You wouldn't want a bunch of uneducated bandwagon fans filling up JTS.

Iowa fans were tremendously loyal in the 70's...facing 19 straight losing seasons. ISU fans are no less loyal today, and equally deserving of respect.

As for standing room only...I don't believe any stadium in America counts standing room only tickets against capacity. Maybe there are a few who do...can you cite any, mikeyjoe?

As for standing room only...I don't believe any stadium in America counts standing room only tickets against capacity. Maybe there are a few who do...can you cite any, mikeyjoe?
First off, the "hill" at ISU isn't typical standing room only. Standing room only is generally just a few hundred extra tickets, so it doesn't really matter for most stadiums. I'll turn it around - do you know of any other stadium in America where "standing room only" tickets comprise 20% of the stadium's "capacity"?

I went to school at Iowa...had I gone to school at A&M or Tech, I'd spend time on their boards. I'm an Iowa fan, minus when they play ISU...that is why I'm here. Its not complicated...nor is it motivated by any sort of dislike of Iowa. As a fan of both teams, its much easier to look at all things Iowa and ISU with a bit more objectivity than most.

Then quit starting threads about ISU in the football forum. That's why we have a rivalry forum. I don't click on "Hawkeye Football" to read anything with an I, an S, or a U together. I click on it to read about My Hawks.

Mod's please move this thread, and every other one.

Why read them if they don't interest you, Norm?

This topic, for example, relates to how RECRUITS view the continuance of the series between ISU and Iowa...and thus it is relevant to Iowa football specifically.

Why read them if they don't interest you, Norm?

This topic, for example, relates to how RECRUITS view the continuance of the series between ISU and Iowa...and thus it is relevant to Iowa football specifically.

I did not read it. I saw your comment and had enough ISU threads.

What does the link say? Iowa Hawkeye Football or Iowa State Football? Why should we care what a Cyclone recruit thinks about the series? Is he going to Iowa? No. Therefore this thread needs to be moved.

As soon as you answer my question, I'll be glad to answer yours Mikeyjoe.
I already did. I don't know of any that do, but again, it typically doesn't matter as I am unaware of any stadium where "standing room only" is 10,000 tickets. For your question to even be relevant to this discussion, you need to answer mine.

But here, let's simplify. My answer: No, I know of nobody else who counts standing room only tickets as part of "sellouts".

Now your turn: Do you know of any other stadiums where "standing room only" increases capacity by 20%?

Last edited:
I don't think ticket count is relevant to the value of the ISU v Iowa game

I believe it is very much in the interest of ISU to keep this game going as long as possible, as ISU has much to gain and very little to lose, look at ISU's AD and their ticket pricing schemes every other year, and enough is said about that.

In reference to the article, to an ISU recruit I think it makes total sense to defend this game, but where is the advantage for Iowa?

There is clearly no national interest, and as a fan trying to watch this game, when its at ISU it is a pain in the behind to catch, as I can never remember what channel it's suppose to be on and it inevitably comes in fuzzy. All the other Iowa games seem to have national interest, somebody is always picking them up, as much as ISU fans want this to be important, the nation doesn't see it that way, its too local. I don't watch other ISU games, so I don't have any idea if this is mirrored on the other side, but clearly there is little national interest in this game. (Maybe I'll get the Texas channel).

As an Iowa fan the games feel the same as they do with teams like Eastern Illinois, disgusted when you lose them and apathetic when you win them, for the athletic department they have to be costly, as at least Eastern Illinios will keep coming to Iowa year in and year out, which means more revenue for Iowa. Perhaps Iowa should look more closely to how Texas has treated ISU, and learn a few lessons - yuck.

Perhaps the athletes and coaches appreciate having a team really revved up with some potential to help ramp up internal preparation for competition for the season, and maybe every other year a trip to Ankeny is a good starter for getting used to games on the road. That is probably the best spin I can put on it from their perspective, and I'm sure KF's rhetoric matches up with this, but come on there are many competitive options out there that would fit in with this.

I don't hate ISU, I'll cheer for them in any non-big ten competition, and I certainly would respect their teams more if they would actually make some hey somewhere else every once in a while. I don't know really what happened to Dan McCarney, and frankly I don't care at this point, but it sure does seem to have been a mistake to lose him. Hopefully Paul Rhoads can start bringing ISU back to something like a contender.

I do appreciate UNI more, they are national contenders in there division at least.

I know ISU fans seem to think Iowa fans are over-reacting to this "competitive event", but really what are the advantages to Iowa?

And yes I think Texas has made me start asking this question.

I went to school at Iowa...had I gone to school at A&M or Tech, I'd spend time on their boards. I'm an Iowa fan, minus when they play ISU...that is why I'm here. Its not complicated...nor is it motivated by any sort of dislike of Iowa. As a fan of both teams, its much easier to look at all things Iowa and ISU with a bit more objectivity than most.

really. you are a university of iowa graduate and your handle on a hawkeye board includes 'clone'..... i can't imagine doing that myself, but hey what do i know.....

Latest posts