Interesting recruit's perspective on the ISU v Iowa series continuation.

really. you are a university of iowa graduate and your handle on a hawkeye board includes 'clone'..... i can't imagine doing that myself, but hey what do i know.....

He's a troll, trying to play it off like he's an Iowa grad. I bet the only time he has stepped foot anywhere near campus was after his drunk friends drug him downtown after another embarrassing ISU beat down at the hands of the Hawks. What a joke...Iowa grad that cheers for ISU primarily. That's laughable.

In terms of selling out their stadium. Nope.

Much of that era, ISU was still in Clyde Williams Field...and thereafter Jack Trice had a full capacity of just 42,000...so that limited the numbers. Fan support in the state, however, favored ISU. Iowa's raw attendance numbers were likely higher due to a larger stadium capacity.

Fan support in the state favored ISU??? Mesa, you are TOO funny. Just when I think you've posted the craziest comment ever...you outdo yourself.

Earth to Mesa: ISU has NEVER been the favorite in the state between them and Iowa.

N-E-V-E-R

"...if isu didn't have this game would they have any motivation throughout the year"

Yeah...Iowa is so much more impressive to play than Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M. Get serious. Those games in Ames will be absolute sellouts.

And Gravy, HE isn't so much interesting individually, its his perspective on the ISU v Iowa matchup. If in-state recruits of all stripes find this game important, that means...it IS important, to both schools. And that is an interesting point IMO. If you find it not to be so...great for you.

In what sense? Since there is no set number of seats, a sellout does not exist at Jack Trice. Besides, you know as well as I do that the majority of the crowd will be gone by the halfway point of the 3rd quarter, and that if those games are scheduled after November 1 that the place won't be full anyway.

Every weekend I'm at my local sports bar screaming and yelling at the TV for the Cyclones.
So you are telling me that you yell at the game ticker at the bottom of the screen? Or do they blare cyclone radio over the speakers in the bar?

ISU Largest Home Crowds
1. 56,795 vs. Northern Iowa, 2007
2. 55,518 vs. Northern Iowa, 2006
3. 55,338 vs. Nebraska, 2006
4. 54,475 vs. Nebraska, 1990
5. 54,469 vs. Iowa, 1991
6. 54,458 vs. Iowa, 1989
7. 54,290 vs. Iowa, 2005
8. 54,101 vs. Iowa, 1987
9. 54,066 vs. Iowa, 1983
10. 53,922 vs. Iowa, 1981

I wonder how many were the opponents fans?

8 of the top 10 record crowds for ISU were against Iowa or Nebraska.
I guess you could schedule N. Iowa every year, but that might hurt your bowl chances with a loss like 2007.

"I guess you could schedule N. Iowa every year, but that might hurt your bowl chances with a loss like 2007."
Playing Northern Iowa nearly cost Iowa a BCS bowl as well...anybody who takes them lightly is foolish, including Iowa.

And it makes sense that you have larger numbers of fans coming to the stadium...from the teams that are nearest to Ames. Hardly surprising.

"I guess you could schedule N. Iowa every year, but that might hurt your bowl chances with a loss like 2007."
Playing Northern Iowa nearly cost Iowa a BCS bowl as well...anybody who takes them lightly is foolish, including Iowa.

And it makes sense that you have larger numbers of fans coming to the stadium...from the teams that are nearest to Ames. Hardly surprising.
Key word there is NEARLY. Where you did lose 2007 and NEARY did again in 2006

Jack Trice capacity is 55,000(number from ISU website) and you brought this up:

You are citing the "Chizik" years, when enthusiasm bottomed out....even so, four of those games represent very near or OVER 100% filling of stadium capacity (Originally, the stadium had a capacity of 42,500, all on the sidelines. In 1976, end zone bleachers were constructed to increase capacity to more than 46,000).

Texas Tech, Nebraska and Utah visit Ames this year...would you like to place a large bet that both are sellout games? Okie, A&M, and Texas come in 2011. I'd be willing to wager those are sellouts as well.

The only team in there is Nebraska that as been a sell out, the rest haven't even been close to a sell out.

Last edited: