Interesting next game up for Maryland is Kent St

Yes, it will be an interesting comparison. Kent St officials are certainly not shying away from playing big time power 5 competition on the road. Of course they are getting bigger pay days while evaluating their talent, scheme, etc.

I will be interested to see if Maryland's defense gets 7 sacks and a lot of pressure on the Kent qb. I thought Maryland had some pretty effective and speedy pass rushers against Illinois but they were not as good stopping the run.

I also think Kent's defense was very active and Podolak commented several times at how good their secondary was in coverage and closing on receivers to limit YAC. So it will be interesting to see how Maryland's qb's high percentage rate holds up.

Kent State gave TAMU a good game, they were down 10-3 at the half and were down 13-3, getting ready to score, when they had a pick 6. They are gonna give Maryland a game.

Maryland has a better QB than us and Kent was begging to get burned deep. I think Maryland could slaughter them but not make them better than us.

We’re one of the few teams you can safely put 8-9 in the box against.

Maryland has a better QB than us and Kent was begging to get burned deep. I think Maryland could slaughter them but not make them better than us.

We’re one of the few teams you can safely put 8-9 in the box against.
Need to see the all 22 - wasn't at the game, but with the 335, there's often cover 3 over the top. Did they run deep thirds yesterday? If so, don't know why we didn't try 4 verticals at least once to pop the seam.

Need to see the all 22 - wasn't at the game, but with the 335, there's often cover 3 over the top. Did they run deep thirds yesterday? If so, don't know why we didn't try 4 verticals at least once to pop the seam.

I think most pass defenses, secondaries, are prone to get beat or burned when two or trips receivers between the hashes take off vertically from about the same spot on the field. One receiver can threaten deep and push the safety back while the other finds the open area past the Lbkrs under the vacated safety area. If the safety takes a false step forward it could be a home run ball over the top.

Fant and Hockenson did this well up the hashes. We see it all the time. It is hard to see if the hawks are doing this this year but I know in the past Brian F was able to have route trees like that flooding a zone in different levels.

Yesterday against what observers were saying was a soft zone, maybe not all the time, by Kent St I do not see why we are not using the sit down or stop routes in open parts of the zone. Even slight comeback patterns. Sit down and comeback routes the receiver is basically stationary to the QBs line of sight and the QB should be able to put that ball on the receiver at a very high accuracy.

Some people say we need 4+ seconds of possession to throw deep but I disagree with that. I assume Tracy, Ragaini, and Jones at least run a 4.6 40 so after 2 seconds they should be 15 yards downfield on a straight fly pattern and the qb should be able to see if their receiver is equal to or ready to get open. Then the qb can get into their aim and release by 3 seconds. Just my opinion.

I know in Iowa's passing scheme the QB does not drop very far back which can lead to early pass pressure up the middle but it helps protect the tackles in their pass protection angles. You give up something to get something.

But we need to take a few shots deep and early in the games

I watched them play and concluded that they are two bad football teams. Poor tackling, lack physicality, limited speed. Kent may drive MD crazy.

If the hawks bring the pass rush, I think we'll hold MD down to low scoring and make it manageable for the IWA team to beat them. If the D gets some turnovers and even scores then we win.

My concern is when Iowa plays PSU who is both physical and competent on both sides of the ball..

Actually Kent State put together a lot of nice drives, but they traded three field goals for Maryland's three touchdowns, a turnover a piece. The second half Kent State continued to get nice drives but got four turnover-on-downs and only one touchdown. Maryland got two quick touchdowns before trying to play the game out.

Both teams moved the ball, but had trouble on third and fourth down conversions. Make what you will about Maryland's dink and dunk pass attack, the passing game was high percentage and effective. There were a few deep plays too.

The two teams mirrored each other quite a bit. Similar style of play on both sides of the ball. Maryland was a bit more pass heavy, Kent State's quarterback a much better runner. Kent State couldn't do anything in the red zone, Maryland had an easy time of it.

Maryland's defense blitz's quite a bit and was disruptive at points, especially in red zone defense.

Last edited:
Actually Kent State put together a lot of nice drives, but they traded three field goals for Maryland's three touchdowns, a turnover a piece. The second half Kent State continued to get nice drives but got four turnover-on-downs and only one touchdown. Maryland got two quick touchdowns before trying to play the game out.

Both teams moved the ball, but had trouble on third and fourth down conversions. Make what you will about Maryland's dink and dunk pass attack, the passing game was high percentage and effective. There were a few deep plays too.

The two teams mirrored each other quite a bit. Similar style of play on both sides of the ball. Maryland was a bit more pass heavy, Kent State's quarterback a much better runner. Kent State couldn't do anything in the red zone, Maryland had an easy time of it.

Maryland's defense blitz's quite a bit and was disruptive at points, especially in red zone defense.

I didnt see Maryland vs Kent St so thanks for the summary. I watched a lot of Maryland at Illinois and I thought Maryland's defensive front was fast in pass rush, their front 7 was not great at stopping the run, and the secondary was decent.

Against Illinois Maryland's offense also used a lot of those quick sideline short passes, rpo type stuff, and Illinois played that well at first but then Illinois also shot themselves in both feet a few times late in the game. I do not remember Maryland's running game being super dynamic.

I think the hawk defense can do pretty well against Maryland if they play like they can and play aggressive. You dont want to sit back on this Maryland short passing attack and let the QB and receivers get comfortable. Hit them right as they are catching the ball and hit them hard.

I think our defensive linemen just get good training on run stop technique so I think they will be ok there also (and not bad having fast linebackers like campbell and jacobs)

The hawk offense needs to get a couple running blocking schemes working and keep trying to hit some long bombs.

The hawk offense needs to get a couple running blocking schemes working and keep trying to hit some long bombs.

As long as blocking remains an issue, sustaining long drives is going to be an issue. Iowa is going to have to mix short yardage plays with larger chunks of yardage. Sustained drives of more than 9 plays are going to be hard to come by. Got to get business done in less than that.

Maryland's defense is pretty good, guys. They allow 19 points per game. But they haven't faced anything like Iowa's defense and special teams.

Iowa allows about 37% of the points KSU allows. That puts MD at 14 points. MD offense scores 160% more than KSU does. That puts MD at 11 points. Average the two, and they'll put up 12 or 13 on Iowa.

Now. Iowa scores 128% more than KSU. That's about 19 points. MD gives up 52% of the points that KSU does. That's 15 - 16 points. Average them together and that's 17 points.

Predicted score is Iowa 17 - MD 13. Iowa wins and covers.

Maryland's defense is pretty good, guys. They allow 19 points per game. But they haven't faced anything like Iowa's defense and special teams.

Iowa allows about 37% of the points KSU allows. That puts MD at 14 points. MD offense scores 160% more than KSU does. That puts MD at 11 points. Average the two, and they'll put up 12 or 13 on Iowa.

Now. Iowa scores 128% more than KSU. That's about 19 points. MD gives up 52% of the points that KSU does. That's 15 - 16 points. Average them together and that's 17 points.

Predicted score is Iowa 17 - MD 13. Iowa wins and covers.
You are missing home field advantage which I think is worth 3 points. So 17-16?

Seriously I think Iowa needs to score over 20 points to win this game.

As long as blocking remains an issue, sustaining long drives is going to be an issue. Iowa is going to have to mix short yardage plays with larger chunks of yardage. Sustained drives of more than 9 plays are going to be hard to come by. Got to get business done in less than that.

I am hoping the Off Line gurus at Iowa can come up with say an offside guard pulling against the line's motion to trap a tackler as a play to get some consistent 4+ or more yardage. Or double pulling guards. More counter play action to improve blocking angles. More reverses to keep opponent's pursuit down. Or some sort of thing. Yes it would be extremely hard to use run plays to march any long distance when they are facing 8 in the box.

I didn’t realize that Maryland beat WV. That’s a decent win as they damn near beat OU last week. I’m really worried about this game. Iowa should win but it’s on the road on a short week and it’s a classic look ahead with Penn St. coming the following week.