Inside Look: D.J. Carton's Coaches Discuss PG's Game, Recruitment

I'm not sure what to think about him shooting from his chest. The rest of the highlights look pretty good. Not Locure good, but good. ;)

I'm not sure what to think about him shooting from his chest. The rest of the highlights look pretty good. Not Locure good, but good. ;)

Watching Cartons highlights I see why he is getting offers. He has quickness and can finish at the rim. His ups are pretty impressive and you can see he will be able to finish at the rim against other P6 teams. The shot can be developed more over time.

Obviously coaches feel Carton is more of a high major player than Locure at this point. Time will tell if Locure changes that and starts getting some offers.

I'm not sure about that. I've only seen Locure play once (so very small sample size) but I saw Carton 2 or 3 times last year and if I had to pick between the two it at this point it would be Carton. Bigger kid (more of a B1G body), can finish at the rim, much more hustle in him, great attitude. I do think Locure has a better shooting stroke but that's the only area I would rate him higher. It will be interesting to see how the rating services grade these guys out. Both of them have potential to be B1G point guards that's for sure.

Last edited:
I read a quote somewhere that he is in the gym all the time, to the point where his coach (or someone) told him to slow down. If he is already considered one of the beyyer point guards in the midwest and has a work ethic like that, he is the guy I want. I also like the quote where Fran said from here on out he will be recruiting him harder than anyone else in the country.

On paper right now, Carton, Weiscamp, Patrick, and Foster sound like a pretty good nucleus for a team 4 years from now.

I'm not sure about that. I've only seen Locure play once (so very small sample size) but I saw Carton 2 or 3 times last year and if I had to pick between the two it at this point it would be Carton. Bigger kid (more of a B1G body), can finish at the rim, much more hustle in him, great attitude. I do think Locure has a better shooting stroke but that's the only area I would rate him higher. It will be interesting to see how the rating services grade these guys out. Both of them have potential to be B1G point guards that's for sure.
You're gonna want to watch more film of Locure. Finishing at the rim is not a problem for him and he's a lot quicker than Carton. As far as the attitude thing goes, it's difficult for me to understand this after I saw Connor and Patrick go all butthurt on twitter over Joe Smoldt winning the Mr. Basketball rather than Connor. It was very unsportsmanlike.

I haven't heard anything about Tyreke having any problems with the law or grades, so IMO I think the attitude thing is made into a bigger issue than what it is. However, I reserve the right to change my opinion on that if I need to at a later date. ;)

I'm anxious to see how their junior years turn out. Carton may end up being the better pg/player by the time they graduate. We'll have to wait and see.

Sophomore Stats:

2019 D.J. Carton (Bettendorf):

18 Games, 67 for 146 FG (45.9%), 15 for 42 3PT (35.7%) 40 for 54 FT (74.1%)
10.5 points per game, 3.16 assists per game, 2.22 turnovers per game, .94 steals per game, 8 blocks on season

2019 Tyreke Locure (North):

23 Games, 188 for 423 FG (44.4%), 46 for 140 3PT (32.9%), 166 for 198 FT (83.8%)
25.6 points per game, 7.26 assists per game, 3.78 turnovers per game, 3 steals per game, 7 blocks on season

Does Locure have any high major or mid major D1 offers yet? If not I think that tells us all we need to know right now. Things could definitely change in the next two years though.

Does Locure have any high major or mid major D1 offers yet? If not I think that tells us all we need to know right now. Things could definitely change in the next two years though.
Jeff Horner & ND offered along with Drake. Pretty sure Tyler Ulis didn't have many offers either at this point in his career. If Locure can keep his head on his shoulders, I think he can end up being just as special as Ulis.

You're gonna want to watch more film of Locure. Finishing at the rim is not a problem for him and he's a lot quicker than Carton. As far as the attitude thing goes, it's difficult for me to understand this after I saw Connor and Patrick go all butthurt on twitter over Joe Smoldt winning the Mr. Basketball rather than Connor. It was very unsportsmanlike.

I agree that it wasn't a good look for Patrick or Connor - but they're teenagers who like to win.... who support each other. I don't mind some of that attitude coming to Iowa sports. Of course they think Connor should have won.

When I first saw some highlights on Carton, I also thought his jump shot release was a bit odd, looks like it would be easier to block, but what do i know. Those that said he goes left 90% of the time seem to have been mistaken from what I saw.
TRUST-IN-FRAN!

a5d656c5dcb65720448663a6f3cc4beded6f8df6337ac1cad23bb70e7d41d41b.jpg

FM has an awfully good record of offering kids early. He hasn't usually landed them (until Cook that is) but it's jut hard to beat out the KY (Ulis), IN (OG), etc of college hoops.

Do like this about DJ.....

From Rob's Article

“He takes care of the basketball and understands possessions are important."

That is something the Hawks need to implement now. Does look like they started in the Drake game.....

That is something Mike Krzyzewski always emphasized at Duke.....

He would say that you should always Value the ball over all else.....

Empty possessions cause teams to lose games

:cool:

Latest posts