Injury update?

On a related note, is there a concussion protocol in NCAA football like there is in the NFL? There's been two games now where Smith has just gotten crushed on a helmet to helmet hit right before halftime and has come right back in both games (Indiana and Nebraska).

On a related note, is there a concussion protocol in NCAA football like there is in the NFL? There's been two games now where Smith has just gotten crushed on a helmet to helmet hit right before halftime and has come right back in both games (Indiana and Nebraska).

When I watched the replay of the game, I saw that the trainers were worried about his neck and doing a lot of testing/feeling in that area. Still scary, but it seems as though there wasn't a concern about a concussion at all. And when he checked out okay on the spinal side of things, there was no reason to hold him out.

Edit: I mean the Nebraska replay. Not sure about Indiana.

All ready according to other site.
Wadley available this week as well as LD.
Nate M. ready.
CJ still not 100% but as ready as nebby game.
Ike ready.

Niemann practiced today and per KF barring a setback will play

Wow. Are we doing enough to protect guys with concussions? Does the NCAA establish and enforce concussion protocol or does the team have that latitude?

I think back to ARob's last season. Concussed against Sparty and didn't he suffer another one two weeks later?

Wow. Are we doing enough to protect guys with concussions? Does the NCAA establish and enforce concussion protocol or does the team have that latitude?

I think back to ARob's last season. Concussed against Sparty and didn't he suffer another one two weeks later?

Q. Neimann was all-conference honorable mention. Is he going to be available?
KIRK FERENTZ: Hope so. Plan on it. Yeah, he practiced today.

Q. Was it a concussion?
KIRK FERENTZ: Yeah, he’s going through that right now, but he’s doing great. He could always turn the other way, you never know. Those things are unpredictable, but I think he’s good to go. (there was more on this on another site, but yes they go through concussion protocol. I think he was limited participation in practice)

Q. Nate Meier?
KIRK FERENTZ: Hopefully. He’s on a limited basis right now. It’s a soft tissue issue.

Meier out would be huge. We're already depleted on D-Line and have no pass rush without a blitz. Would really like to see Nelson get a mean streak in this game. If we don't pressure Cook, he'll cut us up. The time to open a big can of blitz is now, Phil.

The Nebraska game was won because they have a quarterback who makes terrible decisions and repeatedly threw errant interceptions. A competent QB would have completely changed that game.

Last edited:
MSU and Iowa are a couple of the only teams using a FB. Plewa and Cox went down last year and we suffered even with 2 NFL players on our line. This year with Plewa/Cox, the run game is humming.

I see MSU's FB was injured last week:

MSU senior fullback Trevon Pendleton went down Saturday with a left leg injury that looked significant. The best fullback of Dantonio’s tenure, missing the ultimate fullback showcase against Iowa? It wouldn’t be the 2015 Spartans without something.

MSU and Iowa are a couple of the only teams using a FB. Plewa and Cox went down last year and we suffered even with 2 NFL players on our line. This year with Plewa/Cox, the run game is humming.

I see MSU's FB was injured last week:

MSU senior fullback Trevon Pendleton went down Saturday with a left leg injury that looked significant. The best fullback of Dantonio’s tenure, missing the ultimate fullback showcase against Iowa? It wouldn’t be the 2015 Spartans without something.
Agree, this could be a big loss for them on 3rd and short and 4th and short situations where they bring him in to block. He is their Plewa/Cox.

Latest posts