Indiana's backer than we are.

Sometimes reality sucks, however if Fran can recruit as well as Crean better days are ahead.

I think Fran's second full class is better than Crean's at this point, but time will tell how he continues long term on that front.

This Spring will be interesting to see if Fran can get a couple big names to say yes and put that class to rest.

Also, if Iowa can get the 2013 class done and start focusing on the 2014 class...and can get one or two of the guys that they already offered, then your question will already be answered. (See: Tyus Jones)

I think Fran's second full class is better than Crean's at this point, but time will tell how he continues long term on that front.

This Spring will be interesting to see if Fran can get a couple big names to say yes and put that class to rest.

Also, if Iowa can get the 2013 class done and start focusing on the 2014 class...and can get one or two of the guys that they already offered, then your question will already be answered. (See: Tyus Jones)

It seems misleading to state Fran has a better class than Crean did with their second class. I think Crean only had 2 open scholarships. He brought in Oladipo and Sheehey and Oladipo looks pretty good to me. Both were rated as 3 stars.

It is a bit misleading to say Fran has a better class. I guess yes he does but there are many reasons for that fact as well. It's not like Fran out recruited Crean per say with their second class.

It seems misleading to state Fran has a better class than Crean did with their second class. I think Crean only had 2 open scholarships. He brought in Oladipo and Sheehey and Oladipo looks pretty good to me. Both were rated as 3 stars.

It is a bit misleading to say Fran has a better class. I guess yes he does but there are many reasons for that fact as well. It's not like Fran out recruited Crean per say with their second class.

"at this point" means on paper. So, if you want to compare class to class, then look at the unsigned 2013 class and compare it to Olidipo and Sheehey...really? You have to compare apples to apples, when Sheehey and Olidipo hadn't played a game they were two three stars...Iowa's two best players in their 2012 class are top 100 players, the rest are a bonus if you want to just compare the two best players out of Iowa's class to those two players.
What has helped Olidipo and Sheehey was they have never been the true focal points of that team. Watford has been there and now they added Zeller. Hulls was supposed to be the next great thing, they have just developed without hype.
The 2012 class is supposed to be the savior for the program, but if players like Marble, Basabe, Ogelsby, White and McCabe don't play larger roles next season, the 2012 class will not develop as they should.
Unless, they step on campus and instantly become the best players on the roster, but that is asking a lot. If it happens, great, but to pin all that pressure on them is not fair.
Iowa needs consistient PG play, defensive intensity and rebounding...looking at the class overall, they provide all that is missing. It is up to Fran on what combinations he puts on the floor. If two or more freshman start then so be it. You can look at it one of two ways, either this class compliments the players coming back or the players coming back compliment the recruiting class. Either way you look at it, there is a lot of hope, but my hope is that the veterans play like veterans and the freshman can just go play.
The state of the program hasn't allowed the freshman to just go play, Oglesby and White not starting is not the worst thing, but they play too fast when on the floor and force things at times. If the veterans step up, the incoming players will be able to relax instead of trying to do too much.

Tyus played at Hopkins, MN. yesterday, so far this week Coach K, Ol'Roy, and Izzo have watched him in person, not saying we cant get him but we might want to focus our efforts else where, cant wait to watch Gessel run the team next yr

Tyus played at Hopkins, MN. yesterday, so far this week Coach K, Ol'Roy, and Izzo have watched him in person, not saying we cant get him but we might want to focus our efforts else where, cant wait to watch Gessel run the team next yr

Tyus blew up this summer.
I think he's going high, high major here.

Crean is 8-51 vs Big Ten teams the last three years.

Every Iowa fan needs to read this post every morning when they wake up and every night when they go to bed. It really looked like Crean was completely clueless the last three years. I will admit that I was very, very skeptical about the vaunted recruiting classes that were always in the future as they were getting creamed by horrible Iowa teams. Obviously, IU hasn't accomplished anything yet, but it is probably safe to say that Crean knew what he was doing and that many of the IU fans that wanted him gone were clueless.

Iowa is not going to be good this year, and more than likely won't be that good next year. It's all about year 4 and beyond...

True, but he is two years younger than Gesell. I could see them playing together, Iowa did offer Jones 1st, maybe it holds no water, we will see.

Rashad Johnson is another highly ranked player in that class at the SG position that Iowa has an offer out too.
There is a PF out of Chicago that they have an offer out too as well, but he appears set on Illinois.

With Fran recruiting and getting offers out to these kids early, coupled with the significant improvement that Iowa is going to make in the next couple of seasons, it won't be completely out of the question to see Iowa have a legitimate shot.

So, the Big Ten is a pretty good conference this year. Considering a lot of teams looked less that great the first couple of seasons this is surprising. It's going to make winning anything in the conference that much tougher.

Latest posts