Inability to defend the three

longtimer

strikes again. I guess you could say they just had a hot night but we just don't have the ability to cover the three. Just going to have to outscore teams which makes for fun basketball if not championships

One dude shoots 9/10 from 3, you're in real trouble.

he was 8-9... but i looked at hsi career game logs - in his whole career the most he ever had was 3....

but yeah overtime was dreadful. just what a lack of awarness by players and coaches.

shit playing a pick up game at the ymca people wouldn't let that happen.

Just what a low basketball IQ F up.

Just posted this in the game thread. Thought I'd drop it here. There's a reason these guys have career nights against us.

It seemed like all they did was pick-and-roll. They pick-and-rolled us out of man because we were defending it with 3 guys, which left the guy in the corner wide open. Every time...literally, every time. Even when they don't pass it there. He was open. In our zone, we still used 3 guys to defend it, letting their guy replace our guy that left to double, which left him wide open. Our zone had to guard a post and a corner with one guy. Fredrick guarding a 7-footer? Should never happen.

With all that said on guarding 3pt shooters ( which we have big trouble with ) , make a dam free thro and we wouldn't have went to OT , 1for 3 , 0 for 2 , miss the and ones , these guys usually shoot better than that , except the last few games

When guys are hot from 3 you have to deny them the ball. That’s not easy to do in zone and we don't have the defenders to man up. This will be the story all year long.

When guys are hot from 3 you have to deny them the ball. That’s not easy to do in zone and we don't have the defenders to man up. This will be the story all year long.
Wut is this "Deny them the ball" concept you are throwing out there. You are absolutely correct.

I have never seen anybody on a Fran team to be directed to play tough denial ball. EVER! Make it uncomfortable for the player for gawd damn sakes. Get that player our of that comfort zone. If he drives in and hits a two, big f'en deal.

Again, Keegan Murray is the best all around bench player at this point and plays the best defense. He should have gotten many more minutes and should have had the assignment of playing that player tough and to deny. I think he can do that. Joe T. as well but he had responsibility at the top covering the ball handler most times. In my head, Keegan is the 6th man.

The lack of fundamental defensive ball every damn year is mind boggling. Doesn't Fran finds this the least bit embarrassing?

All of this is so true and Fran has never had a couple of lockdown defenders on any of his teams. There is a reason a box and one and triangle and 2 defenses were created.

Or just straight tough man to man. In both of their losses the other team just shot lights out and Iowa didnt.

As the season goes along and in these tough games it seems the hawk shooters are a little off while the opponents are shooting great.

Defense is a "want to" exercise. The Hawks just will not embrace this. Disappointing really.
Totally true! Defense is all about determination and effort more than skill. Not playing lockdown defense on a hot shooter is nothing more than laziness. Watching JBo let guys blow by him only to slap at the ball and get a cheap foul under the basket is shit that gets high school players benched. Leaders on great teams take pride in playing hard defense. Other than Garza, I don’t see a leader on this team.

Wut is this "Deny them the ball" concept you are throwing out there. You are absolutely correct.

I have never seen anybody on a Fran team to be directed to play tough denial ball. EVER! Make it uncomfortable for the player for gawd damn sakes. Get that player our of that comfort zone. If he drives in and hits a two, big f'en deal.

Again, Keegan Murray is the best all around bench player at this point and plays the best defense. He should have gotten many more minutes and should have had the assignment of playing that player tough and to deny. I think he can do that. Joe T. as well but he had responsibility at the top covering the ball handler most times. In my head, Keegan is the 6th man.

The lack of fundamental defensive ball every damn year is mind boggling. Doesn't Fran finds this the least bit embarrassing?
I remember one game where Gesell went crazy denying the ball to someone. It made me yell at the TV I was so pumped to see the effort. So you're wrong, it has happened once lol.:)

I also think that through 9 games and in limited minutes, Keegan has proven to be the 4th best overall player on the team. Possibly 5th behind Joe T.

According to kenpom Iowa is 96th in adjD. Which may be last in the Big Ten(too lazy to look at every school). Minnesota, Iowa's opponent last night is 59th. I am a Fran guy, but I can't defend that.

Shampoo, rinse, repeat. You will be saying this everytime Iowa loses. And you would be 100% on point.

All of this is so true and Fran has never had a couple of lockdown defenders on any of his teams. There is a reason a box and one and triangle and 2 defenses were created.

Or just straight tough man to man. In both of their losses the other team just shot lights out and Iowa didnt.

As the season goes along and in these tough games it seems the hawk shooters are a little off while the opponents are shooting great.
I'm with you. Am I mistaken, or has Fran EVER played a box and 1 or triangle and 2? I'm going out on a limb and say NEVER!
A 1-3-1 would be better than lolly-gagging around in our 2-3 inviting a wide-open 3, which history has shown our opponents drain at record levels vs us. All very demoralizing. Fran: CHANGE DEFENSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Virginia has the #11 defense and let a Gonzaga player make a school record tying 9 threes yesterday. How does the #11 defense in the country allow this to happen? When a guy gets hot at this level it’s almost impossible to stop them.

We have to make our FTs. Something we haven’t done all season...top 3 guys between 70 and 77%.

A good shooter must really anticipate playing Iowa. You know that you are going to get good looks at the 3. Just be patient and run your offense to find the wide open shooter. I think teams will concede Garza his 30 pts and work on locking down on our other scorers. Joe T and Keegan deserve more playing time.

Virginia has the #11 defense and let a Gonzaga player make a school record tying 9 threes yesterday. How does the #11 defense in the country allow this to happen? When a guy gets hot at this level it’s almost impossible to stop them.

We have to make our FTs. Something we haven’t done all season...top 3 guys between 70 and 77%.
Iowa plays zero perimeter defense and never has under fran teams. Don’t know what Gonzaga or Virginia have anything to do with this. Fran has never had penetrating guards with size (guys that can break you down from the wing) and he’s also never had on ball or perimeter defenders. And his collection of point guards have also been suspect as they’ve not been traditional pg’s, but more shooting pg’s so lacked the other critical skills mentioned anove. Until he changes this philosophy, his teams will always be average. It’s an abominable shame because Garza may be the best Hawk in Iowa basketball history and it will be completely wasted

A good shooter must really anticipate playing Iowa. You know that you are going to get good looks at the 3. Just be patient and run your offense to find the wide open shooter. I think teams will concede Garza his 30 pts and work on locking down on our other scorers. Joe T and Keegan deserve more playing time.
Keegan has done everything asked of him. He deserves more minutes/larger role until he proves he can't handle it.

Keegan has done everything asked of him. He deserves more minutes/larger role until he proves he can't handle it.
Yeah and I'm surprised that PM has been the first off the bench between the two of them. Murray brings more to the table to me for now. PM has done some good things out there too but he's a liability on D big time and doesn't rebound nearly as well as Murray yet.