Imagine This Scenario

QuadCityHawkeye

Iowa wins 10 games this season. Kirk Ferentz decides to hang it up. LaVar Woods takes over as HC.

Nebraska has another losing season without improvement being shown. They fire Scott Frost and hire Brian Ferentz.

Am I on something or onto something?

Sounds like you are onto your 15th round...

How does Woods jump 2 coordinators and an assistant coordinator if they are staying in house?
And before you say 2 of the 3 have baggage, they are still employed at the U. They have not been suspended.

Iowa wins 10 games this season. Kirk Ferentz decides to hang it up. LaVar Woods takes over as HC.

Nebraska has another losing season without improvement being shown. They fire Scott Frost and hire Brian Ferentz.

Am I on something or onto something?

Sounds like you should put the crack pipe down!

Brian Ferentz is exactly the type of splash hire the Nebbie fans will be clamoring for. LOL. Trev Alberts would be tarred and feathered by the Bugeater fans.

Brian Ferentz is exactly the type of splash hire the Nebbie fans will be clamoring for. LOL. Trev Alberts would be tarred and feathered by the Bugeater fans.

Like. The guy they need to hire is probably vastly different from the guy the fans will want and who will ultimately be hired.

Nubby fans are pretty convinced that Matt Campbell will be the next hire. I don't see that happening.

Like. The guy they need to hire is probably vastly different from the guy the fans will want and who will ultimately be hired.

Don't know why, don't have any evidence, but I think Trev Alberts gets it. He will not cave, he understands the goal is to be like Wisconsin and a lesser degree Iowa and will hire accordingly.

I could see us winning ten or more games and Kirk retiring.

Brian isn’t ready to be head coach. Maybe Parker could be. Considering how he has saved Kirk’s ass with his defense over the years.

And why not as he sure as hell has earned it way more than Brian could pretend too.

I just don't see Kirk handing over the keys to the program to Brian, last year's off the field mess notwithstanding. I believe Kirk wants an honest chance at the playoffs, ala 2015 and then he rides off. And with his experience he has a firm grasp at who'd be a viable candidate. Could be someone on the present staff; could be a coordinator at someplace like Appalachian State.

Don't know why, don't have any evidence, but I think Trev Alberts gets it. He will not cave, he understands the goal is to be like Wisconsin and a lesser degree Iowa and will hire accordingly.
Even if Trev Albert gets it, that right hire ain't gonna come coach there.

Hiring the right coach is a crap shoot.

They will never get Campbell to leave ISU for Nebbie. By all accounts, he wants either Notre Dame or OSU or the pros. Even if the Clowns are relegated, that is not going to get sorted out this year.

Look, Trev Alberts is a bright guy. He has to choose wisely and I somewhat agree with Fry that he won't be able to get anyone he wants just because they have a crazy fan base, great facilities, and near unlimited resources. They are a dumpster fire at present. But, as I have posted before, that is not to say they can't get anybody good. Um, Kirk Ferentz was a position coach in the NFL when we landed him for F's sake.

There will be a large pool of NFL assistants and lower tier college head coaches that will jump at the chance to sign on and restore The Sand People to glory. The pay raise and exposure alone is reason enough to try.

Whoever he is, I bet he will have a squeaky clean record and be known to run a disciplined program!!!

Hiring the right coach is a crap shoot.

They will never get Campbell to leave ISU for Nebbie. By all accounts, he wants either Notre Dame or OSU or the pros. Even if the Clowns are relegated, that is not going to get sorted out this year.

Look, Trev Alberts is a bright guy. He has to choose wisely and I somewhat agree with Fry that he won't be able to get anyone he wants just because they have a crazy fan base, great facilities, and near unlimited resources. They are a dumpster fire at present. But, as I have posted before, that is not to say they can't get anybody good. Um, Kirk Ferentz was a position coach in the NFL when we landed him for F's sake.

There will be a large pool of NFL assistants and lower tier college head coaches that will jump at the chance to sign on and restore The Sand People to glory. The pay raise and exposure alone is reason enough to try.

Whoever he is, I bet he will have a squeaky clean record and be known to run a disciplined program!!!

As an ISU fan in the short term I'm concerned about Michigan and Penn State, because I think Franklin could be moving on after this year. Michigan especially I think would fit him well just because I think his style of play would fit well with what they had success with Carr and Bo for so many years. I think the fans would embrace it but I could be wrong.

Guarantee you as soon as the UT/OU thing came across the ticker Campbell's wife was on the Ann Arbor Zillow site.

Guarantee you as soon as the UT/OU thing came across the ticker Campbell's wife was on the Ann Arbor Zillow site.
Ya think so? I kinda think that guy is biding his time waiting for the ND job to open up. By staying at ISU this yr and turning down gigs it feels like he's not inclined to just chase another stepping stone job and I feel like his 2 main places would be ND and OSU. I don't see OSU opening up anytime soon but ND I could. Kelly has been there awhile now and it's been a roller coaster for him. Say he wins a NC in the 2 or 3 yrs I could see him walking away and in slides ole Campbell.

Michigan, ND, tOSU...all marquee jobs. Michigan is clamoring for a winner, though they're getting a bit "Nebraska-like"...Harbaugh isn't exactly Scott Frost. He won 10,10,8,10 and 9 games his first 5 years. If they bounce back from last year's cluster and win 8, 9 or 10 again and he gets fired... who'd want to walk into those kind of expectations? See Nebraska and Bo Pelini.

Michigan, ND, tOSU...all marquee jobs. Michigan is clamoring for a winner, though they're getting a bit "Nebraska-like"...Harbaugh isn't exactly Scott Frost. He won 10,10,8,10 and 9 games his first 5 years.
The Michigan job is so funny. If Harbaugh had beaten OSU say twice during that time he'd not even be on the hot seat to the extent that he is. Bo Pelini says that shouldn't get a guy fired but what does he know.. haha

Latest posts