I'm Pumped about Iowa BB

I'm pretty excited to see this team play also. That being said, I'd like for us to beat our in state rivals before I declare us "being back". How long has it been?

I'm excited about the direction of the program and feel good about Fran's recruiting thus far...but maybe we should hold off on the "we're back" talk until we actually are?

Not just this year either. There is already young talent and I'm confident Fran will continue to bring it in.

We'll be in the tourney.... next year! As in not this coming year but the year after.

Gessell and Woody will have a year of Big 10 experience under there belt.

I'm pretty excited to see this team play also. That being said, I'd like for us to beat our in state rivals before I declare us "being back". How long has it been?

It's less important in basketball than in football to beat ISU to be "back". In basketball, there are more games to prove your worth; one game in basketball is subject to a lot more variables, and is not the measure of the strength of a team. Still would like to beat them, but it doesn't overall matter on the "being back" scale.

I do not think they are going to struggle that much. This team is more experienced than we were going into last season. We competed with, and beat some good basketball teams. Marble took some time to transition into a decent point guard. We will have the benefit of a young talented point, and a experienced player to bring him along. We have seven experienced players. Mike has a excellent shot, if he is struggling at the point, Marble can slide back to the one and Mike can take the two. We stuggled early with Bryce being injured. I know Matt carried us through some victories last year. However, we don't win those games without the improved play of Marble, McCabe, and White. We can put a pretty darn good basketball team on the floor next year without our freshman. I don't think we are going to need to rely on them the way we have had to rely on freshman over the past 6 years. We were only two bad losses from being on the bubble last year. We have a good chance to make the dance this year. We have depth and experience at 1 through 4. The 5 is unproven position for us. Barring injury this team will have a better non conference than last year. I'm not predicting that we will make the dance. This team is too talented to say we wont.

there will be struggles because there will be a lot on the plate for some freshmen. last yr there was 1 frosh that had significant things thrown on his plate...white. jo didnt because he was backing up a 35+ minute guy. to say we have experience at the point is wrong. if we have to play marble at the point we will be in trouble...he is decent at the point means he is average at best and if he has to play pg it means we have downgraded 2 positions...pg and and a wing.

pg - 2 frosh...no experience, downgrade from bc at least to start the yr hopefully better. bc was a better pg than marble (when bc was healthy).

sg - 1 soph and 1 frosh...little experience as jo didnt play a lot backing up top player last yr. downgrade both offensively and defensively but in the long run i believe jo has a higher ceiling than matt did...hopefully he reaches it.

sf - 1 jr and 1 sr...most experience here and 2nd strongest position. marble will take a little time to become the best version of him because of the time at pg he will be behind where he should be. may if healthy can provide more wing rebounding and defense. marble and/or may will also play the sg spot to help with experience. marble will play some at the pg but little and if it is more we will struggle.

pf - 1 soph and 1 jr and 1 frosh...deep and strong and experienced. i dont think that meyer will play much unless he plays center. basabe could be that spark guy as a sixth man and aw wont let up on his hold of the starting spot.

c - 1 jr and 1 frosh and 1 soph...experience from mccabe even though he is more of a 4 but he will play 5 until woody is ready and then probably back him up. we got better here because of depth at first and the skill will come as woody does.

really only 2 or 3 positions are better than last yr. pg will at least start slow. sg will be a downgrade even if marble is there. sf will be better if marble is there anyone else and it is at best the same. pf is definitely strong and we will be relying on them. center is about the same with zach and will improve as woody does.

we should end the yr as a better team than last yr but we will struggle at first and will not start the yr as a better team than last yr. too many young players for that.

there will be struggles because there will be a lot on the plate for some freshmen. last yr there was 1 frosh that had significant things thrown on his plate...white. jo didnt because he was backing up a 35+ minute guy. to say we have experience at the point is wrong. if we have to play marble at the point we will be in trouble...he is decent at the point means he is average at best and if he has to play pg it means we have downgraded 2 positions...pg and and a wing.

pg - 2 frosh...no experience, downgrade from bc at least to start the yr hopefully better. bc was a better pg than marble (when bc was healthy).

sg - 1 soph and 1 frosh...little experience as jo didnt play a lot backing up top player last yr. downgrade both offensively and defensively but in the long run i believe jo has a higher ceiling than matt did...hopefully he reaches it.

sf - 1 jr and 1 sr...most experience here and 2nd strongest position. marble will take a little time to become the best version of him because of the time at pg he will be behind where he should be. may if healthy can provide more wing rebounding and defense. marble and/or may will also play the sg spot to help with experience. marble will play some at the pg but little and if it is more we will struggle.

pf - 1 soph and 1 jr and 1 frosh...deep and strong and experienced. i dont think that meyer will play much unless he plays center. basabe could be that spark guy as a sixth man and aw wont let up on his hold of the starting spot.

c - 1 jr and 1 frosh and 1 soph...experience from mccabe even though he is more of a 4 but he will play 5 until woody is ready and then probably back him up. we got better here because of depth at first and the skill will come as woody does.

really only 2 or 3 positions are better than last yr. pg will at least start slow. sg will be a downgrade even if marble is there. sf will be better if marble is there anyone else and it is at best the same. pf is definitely strong and we will be relying on them. center is about the same with zach and will improve as woody does.

we should end the yr as a better team than last yr but we will struggle at first and will not start the yr as a better team than last yr. too many young players for that.

I disagree with all of this. Quality of players means alot and we are deeper and more of them. This will be a good year.

None of the players Fran has brought in is a "game changer" and he's proving that he cannot recruit at a Big10 level...this hire was a mistake. -That Guy That We Don't Hear From Anymore

(although That Guy is probably hoping Iowa loses to Drake so he can shift his focus to a "lack of "in-game" coaching ability")...

ISU just got their 2nd top 100 recruit for the '13 class.

Matt Thomas Basketball Recruiting - Matt Thomas - Player Profiles - ESPN

Monte Morris Basketball Recruiting - Monte Morris - Player Profiles - ESPN

Looking forward to a good rivalry with Iowa over the next couple of years. Lot of young talent.

2013 for ISU is like 2012's class was for Iowa. As close to a make or break class as it gets with so many scholarships to fill.

After Matt Thomas and Monte Morris, I see us focusing on getting 2 post players and two wild cards. Morgan and Jok could be kids that fill those last couple of spots, IMO.

Not that long actually, three or four years.

Ok, let me tell you...four years is a pretty long time in my eyes. For me, we are back when we consistently beat the teams we are supposed to beat and we play everyone ranked higher to the final minutes/and win a bunch of those. We are close and I honestly believe this team has a legitimate shot at THE Tourney this year. Once again, they have to do it on the court...this is all talk at this point.

Latest posts