I'm not really sure why people are surprised

Next possession. Cook drives the ball into 2 defenders. misses but gets fouled. Makes 1 of 2 FTs. We get the offensive rebound. Ball is immediately passed to Baer between the wing and the corner and fires up a contested 3 pt shot, leaning back and misses, with 27 seconds left on the shot clock. bad shot.

This one I disagree with. A 3 pointer after a missed rebound is one of the best shots you can take. Unless he had to put more arch on the shot because of the close out. I don't remember ever seeing one of those. I think in D1 hoops, the shot isn't really contested if you can take it in rythem. If you're looking for a shot where no one is running towards you while you shoot, you're going to have a lot of shot clock violations.

This one I disagree with. A 3 pointer after a missed rebound is one of the best shots you can take. Unless he had to put more arch on the shot because of the close out. I don't remember ever seeing one of those. I think in D1 hoops, the shot isn't really contested if you can take it in rythem. If you're looking for a shot where no one is running towards you while you shoot, you're going to have a lot of shot clock violations.
Baer couldn't step into the shot very well. But point taken.

Baer couldn't step into the shot very well. But point taken.

He kinda has an awkward looking shot anyway where he doesn't really step into it, he just flings it up. It's crazy how losing one guy took us from a really good 3 point shooting team to a bad one.

In some ways you are right about tracking (gulp). The style and how they got there are vastly different, except that both were very conservative....just different in how that played out and was marketed.

Blaming GD is a little silly in my opinion. He was hired to be GD and he acted like GD.

To clarify, I wish KF was never hired. Didn't like it from the start. Firing him at this point would not be good. I would be OK with incentifying him to influence his blindspots.

The problem I have in marketing myself is that I was also not a fan of the FM hire. It's going to go down in flames. Interestingly, Licks biggest downfall was his son. KF's son remains to be seen, but not a positive review after 1 year (with a big asterisk or 2). I do think FM has behaved himself so he could be around to coach his son's. This could unfold very interestingly.
Fire all of the iowa coaches, so we can hire new ones and then fire them too!

He kinda has an awkward looking shot anyway where he doesn't really step into it, he just flings it up. It's crazy how losing one guy took us from a really good 3 point shooting team to a bad one.
Jok was severely underestimated for his effect on the offense. Opposing teams would run help defense at him constantly and he was still knocking down shots at a 20 ppg clip. Allowed other players breathing room that they don't get this year. A guy like Jok makes a huge difference.

they are 4-4 against nobodies, that is todd lickliter bad. These are all Fran's guys, he's been here long enough so no PG and defensive issues are on him and him alone. Penn State is a team you should beat by 15+ at home, not lose to. Fran should be on the hot seat now, not after this year.

Last edited:
they are 4-4 against nobodies, that is todd lickliter bad. These are all Fran's guys, he's been here long enough so no PG and defensive issues are on him and him alone. Penn State is a team you should beat by 15+ at home, not lose to. Fran should be on the hot seat now, not after this year.
Agreed.

While I agree that we need quicker guards that can handle the ball, if you look at our second half shot chart (just the misses) you can see that quicker guards aren't really going to change the fact that we missed a lot of bunnies. Yeah, they might be contested, but I saw far too many layups roll off the rim. Here's the second half shot chart showing the missed FG only:

view
I think the point is we need those type players for the style of ball Fran is trying to play. His assessment of his kids strengths and weaknesses seem to elude him and the only thing he can think to do is add depth which doesn't solve anything. He should be slowing the game down limiting possessions and if you look at our TO count this season it's pretty obvious we don't have ball handlers anywhere on the floor at any position.

Iowa has been missing on fundamentals for years. Guys who can't go either direction, poor defensive posture, poor use of the hands on D. This really isn't a surprise. Biggest surprise was how well they've done in some years.

That said, he has put together some talent on this team. It is no where near Lick ball.

A point guard and things would be much different. Throws it all off.

With Juco and recruiting, I have a basic question.

Is it possible that Fran doesn't want a point guard that might overshadow his sons? It just doesn't make any since that the Hawks have nothing in this position now or in the short term. Makes NO sense at all.

Interesting side note, Tim Finke's (brother of Michael) dad is his HS coach. The dad coach cut a 2 year starter that is a lower D1 prospect at point guard. The kid cut is not a behavior problem. He does like to shoot as does the son.

Maybe it's far fetched, but it's very hard to come up with a real reason why no point guard. Even if JBo is the starter at point, having another dimension to fill it would make a lot of sense.

This team is actually pretty close to being pretty good. But that's nothing that will change a lot in the course of this season.

Your honor, the evidence against Proud speaks for itself. Defense rests.

Proud was replying to this:
HawkGold said:
Ever though about posting something intelligent?
Have YOU ever "THOUGH" about posting something intelligent? LOL "morons, your bus is leaving." - Phil Conner

Iowa has been missing on fundamentals for years. Guys who can't go either direction, poor defensive posture, poor use of the hands on D. This really isn't a surprise. Biggest surprise was how well they've done in some years.

That said, he has put together some talent on this team. It is no where near Lick ball.

A point guard and things would be much different. Throws it all off.

With Juco and recruiting, I have a basic question.

Is it possible that Fran doesn't want a point guard that might overshadow his sons? It just doesn't make any since that the Hawks have nothing in this position now or in the short term. Makes NO sense at all.

Interesting side note, Tim Finke's (brother of Michael) dad is his HS coach. The dad coach cut a 2 year starter that is a lower D1 prospect at point guard. The kid cut is not a behavior problem. He does like to shoot as does the son.

Maybe it's far fetched, but it's very hard to come up with a real reason why no point guard. Even if JBo is the starter at point, having another dimension to fill it would make a lot of sense.

This team is actually pretty close to being pretty good. But that's nothing that will change a lot in the course of this season.
It's got nothing to do with what Fran wants and everything to do with decent PGs/combo guards won't come here because they don't want to sit on the bench while the coach's son gets the minutes.

Well it is possible that Fran thinks he has his point guard with Connor. Whether it's a warped father's view or not. Maybe he is going after really good players hard, but the lesser ones that 5656 keeps pointing out he missed might not have been recruited as hard because Fran liked his son better.

Well it is possible that Fran thinks he has his point guard with Connor. Whether it's a warped father's view or not. Maybe he is going after really good players hard, but the lesser ones that 5656 keeps pointing out he missed might not have been recruited as hard because Fran liked his son better.

I think this comes about as close to nailing it as anything. Dad's and coaching can be really good or really wrong. It just doesn't make sense to be missing this key ingredient at this point. This could be entertaining to watch unfold, depending on what one calls entertaining.