I'm not really sure why people are surprised

While I agree Iowa is not the fastest team - shooting 17% in the 2nd half, scoring only 14 pts and going like 1-12 from 3 is gonna get any team run out of the building. If anything Buzz's adjustments at the half were defensively driven and the rest took care of itself. Iowa had no issues keeping up with the same team the first half when they were making shots.
I'm not discussing the score. I'm discussing the VT players actually "running" us out of the building.

I think it's funny you think it took the 1st half for Buzz Williams to decide that Iowa was slow. They knew, but Iowa played well and shot 51% in the 1st half. Williams said it himself ... they needed to get the rebounds on the defensive end and get out in transition. That was the plan the entire game. It worked better in the 2nd half when Iowa shot 18%.
I'm re-watching the game as I type. 10 minutes gone in the first half and VT is not pushing the ball in transition, off of the makes or the misses. Go back and watch it again. I'm gonna get through the next 10 minutes just to make sure that I'm right and you're wrong! But that's the way it's looking right now.

I'll tell you what changed. Buzz Williams went into the half and made an adjustment. He saw how slow we were and told his team to run us into the ground. And that's exactly what they did. Good coaches make adjustments.
You can post links and quotes all day long. I know what I saw and everyone else on this message board saw the same thing. I'm not sure why you don't get it. Ask anyone else what they saw.

Any coach will tell you it's easy to run and play fast when the opponent isn't making shots. That's what happened to Iowa more than anything else. In the first half, the game was close because Iowa was making shots. In the second half, VT blew the game open because Iowa didn't shoot well.

You yourself said "Iowa missed 9 layups, 10 jumpers and 11 3pt shots in the 2nd half". Looking at the shot chart, we made 3 layups, 2 jumpers and 1 3 pt shot in the second half. If we shoot a reasonable, not good and not great, percentage (50% layups, 40% jumpers, 30% 3pt shots) we end up making 3 more layups, 4 more jumpers and 2 more 3pt shots - that's a total of 20 more points. Yeah, we still lose. But we lose by 4 points instead of 24. In that case would be talking about turnovers and clutch shooting instead of team slowness.

Go to the ESPN recap and look at the shot chart. They had at least a dozen missed shots inside 4 feet. The the "not good shots to begin with" were wide open looks. There were two telling moments in the second half:

1) Moss gets by his man and gets to the elbow (top corner of the lane) and shoots an uncontested jump shot.... and misses. He makes better than 60% of shots from the elbow. He missed this one.

2) Cook gets the ball low and shoots a layup with his "strong" hand, his left hand (he likes to finish around the rim more with his left hand than his right). The ball rolls off the rim.

These are only two misses, but they are telling. If Moss can't make one of his favorite shots and Cook can't get a layup to drop (even a contested one) we are in trouble. Add to that the fact that when we hit a scoreless streak it tends to swallow ALL of our shooters and not just one or two, and you get a very bad shooting second half.
I counted them in an earlier post. They missed 10 bunnies, 9 jump shots and 11 3 pt shots. I'm re-watching the game right now. Whe I get to the 2nd half, I'm gonna count exactly how many of those bunnies were due to good defense or just lack of finishing at the rim.

Any coach will tell you it's easy to run and play fast when the opponent isn't making shots. That's what happened to Iowa more than anything else. In the first half, the game was close because Iowa was making shots. In the second half, VT blew the game open because Iowa didn't shoot well.

You yourself said "Iowa missed 9 layups, 10 jumpers and 11 3pt shots in the 2nd half". Looking at the shot chart, we made 3 layups, 2 jumpers and 1 3 pt shot in the second half. If we shoot a reasonable, not good and not great, percentage (50% layups, 40% jumpers, 30% 3pt shots) we end up making 3 more layups, 4 more jumpers and 2 more 3pt shots - that's a total of 20 more points. Yeah, we still lose. But we lose by 4 points instead of 24. In that case would be talking about turnovers and clutch shooting instead of team slowness.
You make it sound like those were all great, wide open shots that we just missed. Rather than poor shots that we forced and missed. As I said, I'm gonna put eyeballs on the 2nd half right now and I'll count up how many of those shots were open vs contested or good vs bad.

You make it sound like those were all great, wide open shots that we just missed. Rather than poor shots that we forced and missed. As I said, I'm gonna put eyeballs on the 2nd half right now and I'll count up how many of those shots were open vs contested or good vs bad.

During the second half, I turned to my wife and said "We are really having a tough time making shots now". I'm not saying all the shots we missed were wide open. But when we did get good looks, we didn't hit the shots.

I'm re-watching the game as I type. 10 minutes gone in the first half and VT is not pushing the ball in transition, off of the makes or the misses. Go back and watch it again. I'm gonna get through the next 10 minutes just to make sure that I'm right and you're wrong! But that's the way it's looking right now.

Well, in the second half, Iowa made 1 of their first 19 shots and scored 5 points in the first 15 minutes. You're not going to see transition after makes by VT - there weren't any makes! :)

Seriously, sometimes, the simplest answer is right there. Iowa was slow in the first half, but they ran their offense, took good shots, and made 51% of them. It was tied at 38. VT didn't run much because Iowa made a lot of shots and had outrebounded VT 22-12.

VT turned the tables in rebounding to 28-22 in the 2nd half, Iowa missed 17 shots in a row, and VT could run. Again, really simple.

2nd possession - 2nd half. Moss takes a step over 3 pt shot with 17 seconds left on the shot clock and misses. Garza gets rebound and fouled. Ensuing inbound, Wagner gets the ball a little high on the block and misses a spinning jump hook off of the glass from about 6ft out. Not an bad shot, per say but Wagner isn't the guy I want playing on the block with his back to the basket. A VT defender is right there to challenge the shot. For that reason, I'll call this a poor shot. VT tries to run but we manage to get back on defense and VT settles for a 3 pt shot from their Forward, who misses.

Next possession has Garza with a defender up in his grill, using his elbow to clear room to shoot a jumper from the FT line with the clock running down. He misses. Bad shot.

2nd possession - 2nd half. Moss takes a step over 3 pt shot with 17 seconds left on the shot clock and misses. Garza gets rebound and fouled. Ensuing inbound, Wagner gets the ball a little high on the block and misses a spinning jump hook off of the glass from about 6ft out. Not an bad shot, per say but Wagner isn't the guy I want playing on the block with his back to the basket. A VT defender is right there to challenge the shot. For that reason, I'll call this a poor shot. VT tries to run but we manage to get back on defense and VT settles for a 3 pt shot from their Forward, who misses.

Funny note - on ESPN play by play, they said 'Wagner missed layup'. :)

Next possession. Moss tries to go coast to coast and dribbles into 2 defenders in the post. Misses the floater. (Probably looks like a missed layup from the shot chart). BAD SHOT.

Next possession. Moss tries to go coast to coast and dribbles into 2 defenders in the post. Misses the floater. (Probably looks like a missed layup from the shot chart). BAD SHOT.

ESPN play by play ... Moss misses jumper. Then, Garza misses 2 point tip shot. :)

next possession. Garza attempts a spinning jump hook from 8 ft out near the end line, with a defender on his back, with 14 seconds left on the clock. bad shot.

Except it wasn't. He tried a post move from the black with a defender right on his back.

That's my point. Play by play on line isn't always what it is cracked up to be. I do appreciate you taking the time to watch the game and make notes.

Next possession. Moss dribbles base line into 2 defenders, off balance and misses the shot, with 13 seconds on the shot clock. Bad shot. Probably looks like another missed layup on the shot chart but in reality, an attempt at a circus shot over 2 defenders. VT gets the ball and in spite of Iowa having 4 defenders already down the court, a long pass to a VT player on the opposite wing leads to an and-1. Iowa had the players to defend but a good pass and an aggressive attack netted points and a foul.

Next possession. Bohannon tries to take his guy off the dribble from the wing into the middle of the paint. pulls up at the FT line for an off balance jumper with a defender right in front of him and a hand up challenging the shot. He misse with 14 seconds left on the shot clock. VT pushes the ball but it's 3 on 3 because Iowa's defenders get back. But it doesn't matter as the VT player just breaks Pemsl down and takes it right to the rim.

Next possession is actually a decent shot off of good ball movement. Except the decent shot comes out of Ellingson's hand in the form of a front iron brick from the wing/3 pt line, with 14 seconds left on the clock. This is the play where Pemsl dives out of bounds and saves the possession. Which results in another decent 3 pt shot from the top of the key, by Nungee, with 27 seconds on the shot clock. If he would have looked to his left, he would have seen Bohannon wide open for a 3 pt shot on the wing. I'll call that a bad shot, only because a much better shooter was wide open, had he passed that ball.

Next possession. Bohannon tries to take his guy off the dribble from the wing into the middle of the paint. pulls up at the FT line for an off balance jumper with a defender right in front of him and a hand up challenging the shot. He misse with 14 seconds left on the shot clock. VT pushes the ball but it's 3 on 3 because Iowa's defenders get back. But it doesn't matter as the VT player just breaks Pemsl down and takes it right to the rim.

Perfect microcosm of what we discussed ... missed shots and VT controlling defensive boards in 2nd half leading to break out opportunities. When Iowa was making shots in the 1st half and outrebounding VT by 10, the break outs didn't occur and VT had to set up their offense.

Next possession is actually a decent shot off of good ball movement. Except the decent shot comes out of Ellingson's hand in the form of a front iron brick from the wing/3 pt line, with 14 seconds left on the clock. This is the play where Pemsl dives out of bounds and saves the possession. Which results in another decent 3 pt shot from the top of the key, by Nungee, with 27 seconds on the shot clock. If he would have looked to his left, he would have seen Bohannon wide open for a 3 pt shot on the wing. I'll call that a bad shot, only because a much better shooter was wide open, had he passed that ball.

So, with all of the bad shots you are noting, do you credit VT defense, or bad Iowa offense?