I’m done with Fran

Not transferring means respect, then.

Yes.

That's like saying everyone must love their job, otherwise they'd quit or change.

No. That's like saying there is something about the job I respect. I can respect my employer or respect how much my employer pays me.

If a kid transfers because he doesn't like they coach, I'd say that kid REAALLLY doesn't like that coach.

Yes. I'd say that, too. But as you've already questioned, we're probably not going to know if a kid transfers because he doesn't like the coach. There are other reasons to transfer.

So what we got here is none of Fran's players totally hate him, or the program.

I wouldn't say that equates to loving or fully respecting Fran, tho.

That said, no way am I saying they dislike him either.

Well, so much for "can't have your cake and eat it, too."

I've seen tweets from former players and heard them talk on podcasts. You can tell by what they say and how they say it. Obviously there is no way to get every single person to "love" you. But overall I would say that's the general consensus.

I've seen tweets from former players and heard them talk on podcasts. You can tell by what they say and how they say it. Obviously there is no way to get every single person to "love" you. But overall I would say that's the general consensus.

All I know is that we haven't had a mass exodus of players under Fran like we had under Lickliter. So that tells me that the players must like/respect Fran enough to stick around. Usually the guys who transfer seem to be those who are mostly stuck at the end of the bench. Under Lick, it was often key players/starters who were bolting for the exits.

So yeah - I don't really have any reason to think the players and coaches are clashing.

All I know is that we haven't had a mass exodus of players under Fran like we had under Lickliter. So that tells me that the players must like/respect Fran enough to stick around. Usually the guys who transfer seem to be those who are mostly stuck at the end of the bench. Under Lick, it was often key players/starters who were bolting for the exits.

So yeah - I don't really have any reason to think the players and coaches are clashing.

We won’t becuse he plays everyone in every game! Who would leave that perk. :cool::p:)

Hey Teddy enlighten me on the good you see. I’m curious on what those things are that you see.

No guarantees that my enlightening can brighten up the mood in your computer den. But here's a shot:
  • top 25 ranking (in and out, for stretches)
  • young roster with size and length
  • roster with guys seriously thinking about pro basketball (Iowa hasn't always had this, but we're still lacking true NBA talent..)
  • signing and developing Wieskamp - future star, should be a 4 year player, cool that he's a local kid too
  • excitement around the program, exciting style of basketball, pumped up bench (watch them during games)

So we’re going with the ‘you’re not a coach but I coached peewee basketball and benched all 5 of those little bastards for picking daises instead of running back on D’?

Practice is where players are developed, taught, instructed, reprogrammed, broken down, and built back up. Benching your starting 5 just to show them up is childish and doesn’t work. Did we mount some epic comeback and win the game? Nope.

I used to coach HS boys basketball at the 1A level. I wasn't the only coach who would bench starters for not giving 100% effort. And if you don't think it works, again, you don't know coaching. You're not benching them "just to show them up"; you're benching them because they aren't giving you their best effort.

If a player thinks he's "too good to bench" and doesn't give you 100%, you've got problems. If your starting five think they can't be replaced if they don't give you 100%, you've got problems. I know several very successful coaches, some who won state championships, who have done the same thing.

Latest posts