I’m done with Fran

I think it's too easy to get caught up in the tough losses, poor performance, and frustrating coaching. I think there are still good things about the way Fran runs this program..

You ever see the movie Groundhog Day!!! That’s Iowa Basketball under Fran McCaffrey. Fran couldn’t coach his way out of Wet grocery paper bag.

Going by that quote alone shows you know nothing about coaching. I've done that before. I know many coaches who do that. If a player who should be playing and KNOWS he should be playing but isn't playing because of his lack of effort and the coach communicates to that player that he's not playing because of his lack of effort, that player should be motivated to give more effort. And that is clearly what Fran was trying to do. that "no name" lineup you complained about did exactly what we needed and made the starters play harder.

I am of the school of thought that the coach should NEVER have to motivate a player to play hard - that should come from within the player. Our issues with the poor defense are typically because of a lack of effort. Maybe not by all five at the same time, but definitely with individual players. Until that is cleared up, until no player can be allowed to coast on defense, we will have defensive "efforts" like this.

So we’re going with the ‘you’re not a coach but I coached peewee basketball and benched all 5 of those little bastards for picking daises instead of running back on D’?

Practice is where players are developed, taught, instructed, reprogrammed, broken down, and built back up. Benching your starting 5 just to show them up is childish and doesn’t work. Did we mount some epic comeback and win the game? Nope.

So we’re going with the ‘you’re not a coach but I coached peewee basketball and benched all 5 of those little bastards for picking daises instead of running back on D’?

Practice is where players are developed, taught, instructed, reprogrammed, broken down, and built back up. Benching your starting 5 just to show them up is childish and doesn’t work. Did we mount some epic comeback and win the game? Nope.

I agree. This antic just highlights how poorly he coaches and prepares his team imo. Sorry, I have said it before but does anyone believe his temper and inability to control his anger any different in practice? As long as your winning it can probably he tolerated, but not winning? I would find his behavior insufferable. We have all had tough coaches but this seems like something different with Fran. We shall see if his players rally and respond.

I know not everyone here pays as much attention to iowa sports as me. But to me if you pay attention even the slightest, you would know that the players love Fran. Player relations is probably his best attribute as a coach. I understand how an outside observer would see a couple fran rants and think "man his players must hate him". But any fan who follows the team at all has plenty of proof to know that's not the case.

I know not everyone here pays as much attention to iowa sports as me. But to me if you pay attention even the slightest, you would know that the players love Fran. Player relations is probably his best attribute as a coach. I understand how an outside observer would see a couple fran rants and think "man his players must hate him". But any fan who follows the team at all has plenty of proof to know that's not the case.

They love him - no player who was a major contributor has transferred out of the program. There's also been very few problems with the cops for Iowa hoops. The culture is sound. Those who have watched the team practice or been to games early enough to see the team, coaches and friends and family hangout know that.

as we move forward, my biggest doubt and issues with Fran is his results and maybe a little bit how he's wired as far as dealing with the media. He's gotta make a run this year or next to give fans something tangible to hold onto.

But to me if you pay attention even the slightest, you would know that the players love Fran.

I'm saying this isn't true, but how do you know?
Because they say they do? Really? What are they gonna say?
Because nobody transfers?
Because of their body language? Such as?

I'm saying this isn't true, but how do you know?
Because they say they do? Really? What are they gonna say?
Because nobody transfers?
Because of their body language? Such as?

Answered before you asked. I'll answer your question>

"love" probably isn't the word i would use --- more like, "respect".
Yes really.
They're not going to say anything with their mouth; they will with their feet by transferring.
So, yes, because nobody (with contributing roles) transfers.
Yes. But I prefer hugging the coach to happen outside the camera lens.

They love him - no player who was a major contributor has transferred out of the program. There's also been very few problems with the cops for Iowa hoops. The culture is sound. Those who have watched the team practice or been to games early enough to see the team, coaches and friends and family hangout know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. This antic just highlights how poorly he coaches and prepares his team imo. Sorry, I have said it before but does anyone believe his temper and inability to control his anger any different in practice? As long as your winning it can probably he tolerated, but not winning? I would find his behavior insufferable. We have all had tough coaches but this seems like something different with Fran. We shall see if his players rally and respond.
Agree. Win tonite and next.Go Very Tough Hawk players.

Huge opportunity tonight. Are we going to see an inspired defensive effort for a full game. Or a half like MSU where they run away by 15 2nd half. Performance like that would probably empty Carver for the balance of the season minus the blue hairs.

Answered before you asked. I'll answer your question>

"love" probably isn't the word i would use --- more like, "respect".
Yes really.
They're not going to say anything with their mouth; they will with their feet by transferring.
So, yes, because nobody (with contributing roles) transfers.
Yes. But I prefer hugging the coach to happen outside the camera lens.

Not transferring means respect, then.
That's like saying everyone must love their job, otherwise they'd quit or change.
If a kid transfers because he doesn't like they coach, I'd say that kid REAALLLY doesn't like that coach.
So what we got here is none of Fran's players totally hate him, or the program.

I wouldn't say that equates to loving or fully respecting Fran, tho.

That said, no way am I saying they dislike him either.

Not transferring means respect, then.
That's like saying everyone must love their job, otherwise they'd quit or change.
If a kid transfers because he doesn't like they coach, I'd say that kid REAALLLY doesn't like that coach.
So what we got here is none of Fran's players totally hate him, or the program.

I wouldn't say that equates to loving or fully respecting Fran, tho.

That said, no way am I saying they dislike him either.

Go watch the team before and after a game. It's like a family atmosphere, joking, hugging, family, friends and smiles. You can feel it after watching for a couple of minutes, this environment is awesome. They take the wrath of Fran much like I used to take the wrath of my old man when I'd break curfew. He wants what's best for me and knew being out past midnight was a bad idea and I heard about it. They also know that he has their backs and is loyal to a fault and loves them. I think LOVE is the perfect word actually.

Huge opportunity tonight. Are we going to see an inspired defensive effort for a full game. Or a half like MSU where they run away by 15 2nd half. Performance like that would probably empty Carver for the balance of the season minus the blue hairs.

These are the games Iowa needs to win. Michigan isn’t world beaters they are 20-1 but not played great lately. Time for Fran to get his players dialed in tonight.. Past has shown us that these are games where Fran teams lay their best eggs though.

Latest posts