I'm curious as to why this whole Uthoff thing has blown up so big...

SpiderRico

...when there are the same issues happening at Tulsa, St. Joesph's, Maryland and a host of other schools.

Is it the number of schools that Bo barred?

Is it because of how successful Wisconsin has been over the last decade?

Is the the number of Hawkeye fans out in full force supporting this kid via Twitter, Facebook, message boards, etc?

I just find it amazing how quickly and how big this thing got.

What are anyone else's thoughts?

I think it was the banning of the entire ACC. when it comes to college basketball media coverage, they are the tops, and once he banned that entire conference (and his reasoning for it) it took off. If he would have left it at ISU, Marq, and B1G, it would have never been a national story.

It's because it sure looks like Bo Ryan is petty little weasel and he's not got the student's best interest in mind.. Fine if he wants to ban other B1G schools and even instate WI schools. But not another entire conference and ISU... Pathetic.

I think it was the banning of the entire ACC. when it comes to college basketball media coverage, they are the tops, and once he banned that entire conference (and his reasoning for it) it took off. If he would have left it at ISU, Marq, and B1G, it would have never been a national story.

I'm guessing the ACC schools were added because of the Big10/ACC challenge and there is a small chance you would play against his team in the future. That is pretty petty, but I also understand it. If you're going to restrict ISU then why not DePaul? Big East school just down the road in Chicago and probably come across each other in the recruiting game as well. Makes no sense.

...when there are the same issues happening at Tulsa, St. Joesph's, Maryland and a host of other schools.

Is it the number of schools that Bo barred?

Is it because of how successful Wisconsin has been over the last decade?

Is the the number of Hawkeye fans out in full force supporting this kid via Twitter, Facebook, message boards, etc?

I just find it amazing how quickly and how big this thing got.

What are anyone else's thoughts?

I think it has a lot to deal with Ben Brust, not exactly the same situation but people compare it to this situation. I think Karma is coming back to bite him.

That's exactly how I see it...once he did that it showed just how ridiculous it was....I don't even really want Uthoff to come to Iowa...but Bo was WAY out of line with this kid.

If the ACC/Big 10 challenge is the reason for banning the ACC, shouldn't he ban the PAC-12 too?

Think it also has to do with how horrible the style of basketball is. This is the best chance to bring NoRyan down to date.

The St Joes coach didn't release the player from his scholarship if my memory serves. That's basically banning him from ALL div 1 schools.

It is a combination of:

1. The overreach on the restrictions...if he had just did the Big Ten and Marquette it does not blow up.
2. The high profile QB transfers in back to back years to wisconsin.
3. The Brust case,where Wisconsin opened the pandora's box to intra-league transfers after a 100 year ban.
4. Bo's inept response and history of scorn of the media. He has always had contempt for the media and liked to play cute with them...coming back to bite now.
5. The general sense in the public that college athletes are not treated with respect while a coach like Bo lines his pockets with 2.1 million/yr.

Perfect storm,and Bo is reaping what he sowed when he started the chaos with the offer to Brust.

It is a combination of:

1. The overreach on the restrictions...if he had just did the Big Ten and Marquette it does not blow up.
2. The high profile QB transfers in back to back years to wisconsin.
3. The Brust case,where Wisconsin opened the pandora's box to intra-league transfers after a 100 year ban.
4. Bo's inept response and history of scorn of the media. He has always had contempt for the media and liked to play cute with them...coming back to bite now.
5. The general sense in the public that college athletes are not treated with respect while a coach like Bo lines his pockets with 2.1 million/yr.

Perfect storm,and Bo is reaping what he sowed when he started the chaos with the offer to Brust.

I would agree.

the iowa beat writers got the Brust aspect of the story out to the national media very quickly. that really fueled the fire.

The fact that he is (was) blocked from 26 schools and 2 of the top 3 conferences in the nation.
Then went on national radio to defend himself and came off as a greasy, defensive, petty, little politician caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

This entire story will disappear now that restrictions have been lifted. But it will be used against Wisconsin in recruiting for years to come.

It's an easy thing to rally around for media types for sure...its a cause to back..David v Goliath...that, and it's mid to late April..college sports writers are beginning the three month 'I don't matter' phase.

Try as I might, I could never really bring myself to care. It also didn't help I had never heard of this Uthoff feller until last week.

Try as I might, I could never really bring myself to care. It also didn't help I had never heard of this Uthoff feller until last week.

You never heard of Jarrod Uthoff, Iowa's Mr Basketball last year and a guy Iowa ended up almost landing?

Ok then.

Latest posts