I'm concerned about Oglesby

1hawkeye1

Josh Oglesby's rep is that he is a 3pt sniper. Last year he would pass up open looks to take 2 dribbles past the arc and shoot a pull up 2. It seems that he has rectified that aspect of his game.

However this season he doesn't look ready to shoot when he gets the ball. In some situations, he actually looks surprised and panicky.

If he is to become the 3pt sniper that this team needs, he must be squared to the hoop and ready to shoot when he gets the ball. He also needs to move more when he doesn't have it. Matt Gatens made tremendous strides in this area his senior year.

If you wanna be a great shooter, be hard to guard. J.O. isn't hard to guard at this point in his career. I hope he gets there.

Looks like sometimes he thinks too much. I think he will eventually get that out of his system. He has been lockdown on D. When he doesn't have the ball I never really see him just standing around, he's running the baseline in and out of screens.

oglesby is probably the smartest player we have. he wasnt ranked that high because he was such a phenomenal shooter but rather because hes a good shooter while being well-rounded.

Funny, I'm feeling pretty good about Josh. His shooting has been poor, but his passing and defense have been excellent. Whenever a player is doing everything other than his bread and butter well, that's not a bad thing. I feel much better about Josh right now than I did this offseason.

Looks like sometimes he thinks too much. I think he will eventually get that out of his system. He has been lockdown on D. When he doesn't have the ball I never really see him just standing around, he's running the baseline in and out of screens.

If he wants to continue to play real minutes he is going to have to focus on those two things. He can't be afraid to fire which Fran has said he gave him the green light to shoot if open. His defense was lazy in the past, maybe Fran told him to focus on his defense when his 3's weren't landing and now he is playing better defense so he is more relaxed on the offensive side because he is definitely shooting better now than earlier this season.

Not worried at all about JO. As other posters have pointed out the rest of his game has improved quite a bit from last year.

JO's release is quick enough and his shooting percentage will improve thru out the year.

JO started off 1 for 12 in the first 3 games. Since then he has shot over 43% for 3 pointers and that includes a 0 for 3 against SDS which was a blow out for Iowa.

It would be nice if people looked at the facts. JO is a great 3 point shooter that so far has delivered in the bigger games so far this season.

oglesby is probably the smartest player we have. he wasnt ranked that high because he was such a phenomenal shooter but rather because hes a good shooter while being well-rounded.

Probably a bit of a stretch to call him the smartest player we have. Not unlike a closer in baseball, a "shooter" needs to have a unique mental make-up. Not so sure JO has such.

Josh has already done things this year he did not do last year and that is make some big shots in competitive games when Iowa really needed it. Last year he went off in games where Iowa was getting smoked.

Scary Movie 2: Basketball Scene - YouTube

Heck, these guys could guard JO.....Being a sharp shooter means you have no fear (only good shots my old coach would say), but he's pulled up and knocked down a few, but maybe needs a little more confidence, and maybe Fran has something to do with that and the way the offense is run, and whoever is in there. He will be fine, just keep shootin the rock...

He'll be fine by the end of B1G conference.. I think the whole team are starting to gel hopefully enough to get thru the conference games.......:D

Josh has already done things this year he did not do last year and that is make some big shots in competitive games when Iowa really needed it. Last year he went off in games where Iowa was getting smoked.

I was about to add to my previous posts this exact thought. At least I know you are reading the board today.

GW 3-6
W St 4-8
Va Tech 3-6
Ia St 2-5
UNI 2-4

That boys and girls is.... 48 % shooting.

Not fair to JO if you are comparing him as a sophomore to Gatens as a senior.

This....Gatens' release got much quicker as a senior and he looked much more comfortable working without the ball as a senior. JO will be fine; the nice thing is Iowa is more balanced right now than they were with about any team Gatens ever played for.

I would like to see Josh on the floor more with Woody. Utilize the post presence and Josh's shooting ability takes away their ability to double with Woody's passing skills.

Latest posts